2013-14 NHL Season: "We Are North American Scum"

Funky Bunky

I just hope the 2012 Kings aren't the 2008 Phillies in that they won the championship before their "window" opened, and not with their best overall team.

Or to a more broad extent, the 1995 Braves, 2002 Angels, 2004 Pistons, 2006 Colts or the 2011 Mavericks. These teams, along with the 2008 Phillies, had a period of competitiveness, were able to win exactly one championship with arguably their weakest team of the period, and had the potential for many more titles but came up excruciatingly short.

I feel the same way, in hoping that this Kings core isn't to be a "one-and-done" team because of the subsequent rise of other, more terrifyingly-tangible teams.*

*yes, I'm looking at you, Chicago

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be a continuous 3-minute power play. Major penalties always get served the full-length by the player, except for fighting (when it's the first stoppage of play after the five minutes elapse).

I'm going to be pedantic here:

The infraction itself doesn't change the application of the major penalty. The only difference with fighting majors is that they're generally coincidental penalties, meaning that neither team is shorthanded due to the penalty. In the case of coincidental penalties that don't lead to a change in on-ice manpower (be they majors or minors), releasing the players during play would lead to having too many players on the ice; therefore, the players are held until the first stoppage after the end of the penalty.

Why'd he DO A BARREL ROLL on the knee against Hertl?

Because physics.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's been about two weeks since the last time I did it, so here's another ranking/stratification:

Serious Contenders
Anaheim, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles

Very Good Contenders
Boston, Colorado, San Jose

Longshots
Vancouver, Montreal, Tampa Bay

Bubble Teams
Phoenix, Minnesota, Washington, Detroit, Dallas

Kinda Bad
Philadelphia, New Jersey, Toronto

Pretty Bad
Nashville, Winnipeg, Carolina, Ottawa, New York, Columbus

Really Bad
Calgary, Florida

Ridiculously Bad
Edmonton, Long Island

Pursuit of Dubious History Bad
Buffalo

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think you can just call the Buffalo category "Buffalo" because we all know how bad they are.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It's been about two weeks since the last time I did it, so here's another ranking/stratification:

Serious Contenders

Anaheim, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles

Very Good Contenders

Boston, Colorado, San Jose

Longshots

Vancouver, Montreal, Tampa Bay

Bubble Teams

Phoenix, Minnesota, Washington, Detroit, Dallas

Kinda Bad

Philadelphia, New Jersey, Toronto

Pretty Bad

Nashville, Winnipeg, Carolina, Ottawa, New York, Columbus

Really Bad

Calgary, Florida

Ridiculously Bad

Edmonton, Long Island

Pursuit of Dubious History Bad

Buffalo

Might want to downgrade the Kings to Very Good Contenders after last Sunday's game.

On the surface, it's hard to think of St. Louis being in a class above San Jose when the Sharks have dominated them in all three meetings this season.

But again, that's just on the surface kind of logic. It probably makes more sense when you consider the Sharks body of work, their cooling off of late (and their proclivity in the past two seasons to really go into the tank for prolonged periods of time), and the general top-heavy nature of that roster.

The Lightning are 21-11, which looks, well, really good! Unfortunately, that record drops off precipitously against the Penguins and Bruins, whom they are 0-5 against, 0-3 at home. It's great that they can beat out-of-conference foes (at home, anyway) and win within their own division, sure, but they aren't going to make a deep playoff run if they can't beat the far-and-away top two teams in the East.

But, dammit, the Lightning are seldom in a position where they can claim to be the 3rd best team in the conference as late as the end of December anyway, so I'm not going to complain about their prospects for this season. "Long shots" is much better than their usual classification.

spacer.png

Might want to downgrade the Kings to Very Good Contenders after last Sunday's game.

They got it back when they thumped San Jose the other night. They're virtually unscoreonable.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You know, I don't mind losing when we play like crap, I expect it these days.

But when we outplay the other team the entire game and then give up a goal in the final minutes (to a former Senator no less) and then it goes to overtime, where we get robbed by the other goalie and they come back to score a :censored: goal? (again to that same former Senator) Yeah, we could have been sitting pretty in eighth right now, but we had to mess these last two games up.

Shouldn't have made the Coyotes feel at home with all those empty, maroon seats, Ottawa.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived