Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For today's update, I shall show you guys a progress shot of my current stadium, Cathedral Park in St. Catherine:

13787273285_748cbd467b_c.jpg

I explained this stadium a bit in my last post, but I'll explain it in some further detail. As it is an older stadium, the dimensions are deeper (427 feet to left center) as well as shorter (304 feet to the right field foul pole), a nod to the crazy dimensions of stadiums like Fenway Park and the Polo Grounds. I assure you, the dimensions of Cathedral Park were much deeper before a complete renovation of center field in 1998. That's all the basics for the field itself. I will go more into detail about the location and most importantly, the architecture of the stadium when it gets completed.

~ Daryl

I really like the unique old school dimensions, and i also thought that the bullpen locations were really cool because i dont think that any mlb teams have any thing like that.

I am always fascinated by the level of detail you put into the stadiums. Do you ever get tired of always making the little seats and such? (Digital would be less impressive because its easy to copy and paste) I know when I draw things I enjoy, I still get annoyed at the repetitive minor details.

Its too bad there isnt much promise in the Architectural Field because you seem pretty pro for a High School student. Hopefully somewhere down the line you could still use your skills for real stadiums!

Thanks for the kind words, sir! The seats aren't really the ones that tire me out, it's really more of the exterior details not directly part of the stadium, such as parking lots and surrounding buildings. What my dad suggests for me is that I try to pursue architecture once I already have a steady job. That way, if architecture doesn't land me a job, I still have a good job on me.

One day, I would love it if you would do re-configures of Australian stadia from cricket/AFL size to rugby/NRL/soccer size. Would be fascinating to see.

We need something like that in Perth! :D

I'm not really all too familiar with Australian sports like the ones you mentioned above, so that would be quite a challenge for me. However, I sure was kinda intrigued at how the Sydney Cricket Ground was transformed into a baseball field for MLB's Opening Series last month. Maybe I could give those sports a try someday! ;)

I really like the unique old school dimensions, and i also thought that the bullpen locations were really cool because i dont think that any mlb teams have any thing like that.

Thanks! That's the thing I really enjoy about baseball stadiums, you can practically make the outfield as big as you want. That allows for much greater creativity than you get from football or soccer stadiums. I was originally planning to put the right field bullpen to the third base side, but I decided that putting the bullpen where it is would give Cathedral Park a bit more quirk.

I love me some crazy dimensions! Nice job.

Thanks! My comment above applies to your reply as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------

For tonight's update, I need your guys' help. I recently heard that the Marlins are gonna throw back to uniforms of the old Miami Sun Sox. I decided that Sun Sox would be a pretty good name for a team in my league, so I decided to rename the Homestead Blazers to the Homestead Sun Sox. Appropriate because Homestead is a desert city on the coast, like Marina Bay from a while back. The problem is, it's pretty hard to come up with an identity for that team. That's where I need your help. First of all, I'll show you what I've tried to come up with:

BlotYPLCcAA3lB6.jpg

Originally, I tried to incorporate a sun motif into the wordmark much like the Dbacks wordmarks. However, I realized that it looked a bit too much like the current Phoenix Suns look, so I decided to ditch that idea. I went on to a few more scripts and eventually to Art Deco.

I'm staying with a warm color palette of yellow, orange, and red. Although I'm kinda considering adding a bit of pink in there.

I'd greatly appreciate using some suggestions from you guys! :)

​And just a little note, I've decided to rename the Valley Hills Blues to the Valley Hills Blue Sox to add another "Sox" team to my league. Haha.

Also, I am still working on Cathedral Park and will probably have it up and posted in this next week.

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

Art deco is a cool way of going with this. I say take it further and incorporate some elements like these sunburts or these or the way this design has just one quadrant with sunburst.

Plus you could incorporate baseball diamond elements and shapes in a deco way.

I am in love with those Art Deco wordmarks. <3

Thank you! You're gonna love the final wordmarks, which are more Art Deco that the ones on the sketches.

I love the actual architecture of the soccer stadium. Great work.

Thanks, Ray! Hunter Stadium sure was a fun one, indeed!

Art deco is a cool way of going with this. I say take it further and incorporate some elements like these sunburts or these or the way this design has just one quadrant with sunburst.

Plus you could incorporate baseball diamond elements and shapes in a deco way.

Thank you for the helpful links! I used elements from your links to construct the Sun Sox primary logo.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I have the completed uniform set for the Homestead Sun Sox.

13958978141_e5b6c23b99_c.jpg

The primary logo was a very interesting one to make. It contains elements of Art Deco in a representation of the sun surrounding the very simple "H" cap logo with home plate at the bottom. The sun rays could also be interpreted as a stadium. I will try to use this as inspiration when I make the stadium for the Sun Sox. Here's a close-up of the primary logo:

BlxgwqoCQAAM1Dk.jpg

As for the jerseys, I could say they're a mix of my San Francisco Giants and the Miami Marlins. The wordmark and number fonts are taken from a few Art Deco fonts I found on Google, which I also like for its simplicity and modernity. The primary logo can be found on the left sleeve.

Thanks for the great feedback and I'd love to see what you guys think of the Sun Sox!

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

Wow, that turned out better than I could have imagined. LOVE that art deco sun logo. Whenever you finally get around to doing these logos in Photoshop or Illustrator, this has to be the first one you do.

Really love the sun sox. Only gripe is to make a black jersey for the road alt instead of grey

Thanks! After reading you reply, I decided to replace the gray alt with a black alt. I'll go into more detail in a bit.

Wow, that turned out better than I could have imagined. LOVE that art deco sun logo. Whenever you finally get around to doing these logos in Photoshop or Illustrator, this has to be the first one you do.

Thank you! Your links provided some great inspiration for the logo, which sure was pretty fun to draw. And maybe I'll get into digital art someday...

The final wordmarks are too plain. :( Bring back the double underline!

Honestly, I don't think the double underline would work well with the Art Deco font I ended up using. However, I will keep this in mind if I ever decided to make throwback jerseys for the teams. (I do plan on making BP jerseys once all the teams are completed)

--------------------------------------------------

I will most likely have Cathedral Park completed by either tomorrow or Thursday. Coloring is all done, but I still need to draw logos and make sketches of the architecture for you guys. In the meantime, here's the tweaked Sun Sox jerseys:

14635483253_446cf3887f_c.jpg

Only change is the addition of an orange-on-black road alternate to replace the gray road alt. That's all there is to it.

~ Daryl

Homestead is complete

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------

As promised, I have a completed Cathedral Park for you guys tonight. So here it is!

14634904171_17fc4617af_c.jpg

As you can see, the stadium is located in the middle of a Euroopean-style city center for St. Catherine. The architecture of the surrounding buildings resemble the styles you might see on the streets of Paris. As for the stadium itself, it has that style as that as well as the cathedral located across the river at the top of the drawing. Here's a sketch of the scoreboards, found past right field, as well as a cross-section of a piece of the grandstands.

Bl9U0HTCYAAXlt8.jpg

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

Euro-style stadium FTW! Great job on the Sun Sox and on Cathedral Park.

Thank you! It's not necessarily a Euro-style stadium except for the architecture. Just curious, is there a difference between American and European stadiums? Take it as a a fancier Wrigley Field or something like that.

----------------------------------------------------------

I forgot to add this to tonight's post, but I would like some color suggestions on a few teams. I need your guy's help on the Etiwanda Cultuners and the Lewisburg Hearts. My original ideas are yellow and purple for the Cultuners and purple and pink for the Hearts. For the Cultuners, I'm planning on a more culture and art-based identity, showcasing the diversity of the Etiwanda area. For the Hearts, I'm planning on emphasizing the fact that Lewisburg is located in the heart of Los Altos without it being too flashy and hard on the eyes and just plain ugly (what a few of my friends said about the purple and pink combo).

Any suggestions?

Make the purple really dark and the pink really light.

Alright, I'll try to play around with that combination. Thanks!

Cathedral Park is BRILLIANT.I love the odd shaped outfield and the Fenway-esque right field corner.Is there any special history behind like the Pesky Pole?

Thank you! In reality, there's really no story behind that foul pole. However, feel free to make your own story about that! Haha.

-------------------------------------------------

I recently decided to redraw some of my oldest jersey concepts so they could fit in my template. I redrew the jerseys for the Los Altos Capitals and the Rattick City Rebels. First of all, here's the drawings posted in this thread's early pages.

The original Los Altos Capitals jerseys:

9974232196_4c47d62993_c.jpg

And the original Rattick City Rebels jerseys:

9754825305_1e18b25e18_c.jpg

And here's the new versions. First the Capitals:

14428875450_b005461c4b_c.jpg

And the Rebels:

14614996472_2c3ecef19d_c.jpg

Gave these jerseys a few tweaks when I redrew them today. I gave the Capitals a new primary logo and a new road script instead of the block "Los Altos." The star jersey is the new BP jersey, which I won't do for the teams until the primaries are done. Same with the throwback uniforms like Rattick City's.

But more importantly, I like looking at this comparison just to see how much I've improved in drawing jerseys. Especially now that it's all templated so I could just color in the lines.

What do you guys think?

~ Daryl

Archived