Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

I absolutely love the factory theme, especially the smokestacks (do they shoot fireworks?). This is definitely one of my favorites that you have done so far.

There is only one thing that I don't like about it. I freely admit that it is very nitpicky, but I really, really dislike the color of the roof panels. I'm not an architectural historian, but, as it matches the color of the street, it just feels out of place. I think a charcoal or dark green, or maybe even a sandstone type of color if you want to keep it light, would go much better with the faux industrial revolution look that you're going for.

I'm thinking of colors more like the ones used as accents in these buildings (spoilered for size):

Fazeley%2BMill.jpg

n_AmericanChicleCompany_2-0-1-3_e.jpg

Well, the smokestacks are hollow at the base (just opens up to the walkway), but I originally just planned to shoot water vapor (not as pollutant as CO2 in my environmentally-conscious fictional country), but fireworks wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

I could see your point there. I guess I'll just darken the roof color to the charcoal color you suggested. And being nitpicky is alright by me! Haha,

I'm really glad you like Ottimo Field!

This is just beautiful. It would be cool if the smokestacks smoked after a home run or when the Roarers win a game.

Thanks! And the smokestacks indeed do. Just like the foghorns at AT&T Park, they smoke (water vapor as stated above) after every Roarers home run and win.

YAY! Love it! Also, sorry, forgot to give you a logo for Ottimo. However, this is lovely! By the way, I can send you the Ottimo logo if you want.

Glad you like your stadium! Go ahead and send the logo to me. I'm sure it'd be an easy edit and I'd have to recolor the roof panels as well.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome... Just amazing. Just as good as I expecting

oops. I WAS expecting.

Awesome... Just amazing. Just as good as I WAS expecting

Thanks! And just wondering, when are you gonna have your concepts up¿

The RBL isn't dead, there is a very small possibility I could be posting. I've just been a mix of busy and lethargic so I haven't been making the uniforms. Quick question, are you making players for the teams? You should, I would DEFINITELY help you with those. Names are my strong suit.

Fear the future, envy the past

Love Ottimo Field! I really like the industrial look, and the smokestacks are an awesome touch.

Thank you! I decided to give it an industrial look so it could fit in with the former factory district it's in, and also because a team themed after industry deserves a factory-style stadium.

The RBL isn't dead, there is a very small possibility I could be posting. I've just been a mix of busy and lethargic so I haven't been making the uniforms. Quick question, are you making players for the teams? You should, I would DEFINITELY help you with those. Names are my strong suit.

Feel free to do so! Could really help me with team histories (think retired numbers) and maybe even memorial stadiums.

Tonight, I have for you guys the jersey set for the Valley Hills Blues.

14613425454_c4773bca42_c.jpg

I think I've distanced it enough from the St. Louis Blues, so I'm content with this. I incorporated a few musical elements into the typography, namely the double "l's," the "s", and the "b." A double blue scheme for the Blues, with a light blue alt inspired by that of the Tampa Bay Rays.

Got two more team jersey sets left and many more stadiums to do. Stay tuned!

~ Daryl

Apart from moving the chest logo to the right side on the Saturday Alt, these look great! The musical elements and the color scheme really sells the set, and the unorthodox wordmarks separate them enough from the St. Louis Blues. I look forward to the remaining two teams and whatever stadiums may come.

Apart from moving the chest logo to the right side on the Saturday Alt, these look great! The musical elements and the color scheme really sells the set, and the unorthodox wordmarks separate them enough from the St. Louis Blues. I look forward to the remaining two teams and whatever stadiums may come.

I kinda argued within myself whether to put the chest logo on the left or the right. Since I think I already have quite a bit of chest logos on the right, I decided to change it up and move it to the left. I'm glad you like the Blues and I'll make sure that what I have left is just as good!

I love the logo. It's awesome how you made the V an H into the necessary shape.

Thank you! It just kinda came up to me to make it like that and it sure looked awesome! Glad you like it!

There needs to be a real stadium like Ottimo Field. That is just fantastic! Great job!

Thanks! You know, there is already a stadium kinda like Ottimo Field in the form of Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. Not exactly similar (heck, not even the same sport), but still has the same architectural style to it.

This is the greatest thread ever!

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I have for you guys two jersey sets: one a redesign of an older team and the other a new design. First, I have the revised Henderson Founders:

14428860010_136beb416f_c.jpg

Here's the original Founders jerseys:

10372252704_b741f5a76e_c.jpg

For the Founders, the biggest change is the elimination of green to make brown-and-white the new color scheme as well as some switching around an alternate jersey and the removal of the alternate road jersey. I eliminated green to avoid having two brown-and-green teams in my league.

And the reason for the change for the Founders is the identity for the Lakent Lumbers:

14614986312_2218b8c075_c.jpg

The primary logo is the cross-section of a tree trunk with the cap logo on top of it. Other than that, this identity doesn't really need any further explaining.

Only one more team left to do jerseys for and it's the Etiwanda Cultuners. I'd be open to suggestions for what to do with the Cultuners. The idea behind the team name is to embrace the rich culture of Etiwanda and the state of Tescara. Any suggestions?

~ Daryl

That's a cool logo, but it would be cool to see the rings of a tree in the logo.

Thanks! I did consider doing the tree rings, but I realized that I could just sublimate a baseball in there instead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I finally have the last jersey set needed to complete all 30 teams in the Alton Baseball League! Here's the Etiwanda Cultuners:

14428936929_de7b89213d_c.jpg

A recent trip to Arizona has inspired me greatly on this design. The sleeve designs are inspired by the Dbacks' sleeve designs from their purple and teal days that I saw at a sports store in Phoenix. As for the logo, it's a traditional shield used by the well-celebrated native population in the Etiwanda area and includes zig-zag patterns and an "E" cap logo that also has a sublimated "C" in it. I created the number font based on the zig-zag pattern evident throughout this identity.

Now that all the jerseys are done, here are some collective pictures. First, the entire Alton Baseball League (pictures from here on will be spoilered):

14420020988_abab7ff2d0_c.jpg

The Alton League:

14419987820_36196127bd_c.jpg

And the United League:

14604615534_95f1dbd78d_c.jpg

Now for the divisional pictures; first the Alton League West:

14606635685_053601aebc_c.jpg

The Alton League Central:

14583623246_c006da7e0d_c.jpg

The Alton League East:

14626683323_96deb39b35_c.jpg

The United League West:

14604620374_9eea59cb59_c.jpg

The United League Central:

14606058372_d271800c6c_c.jpg

And finally, the United League East:

14606631375_a1d51164f4_c.jpg

Just for fun, I'll set up a poll so you can decide what the best-looking teams are. In the meantime, I have a stadium drawing underway and I'll probably get started on BP jerseys and whatnot sometime soon.

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

It is a shame that this is over, you have made some of the best concepts on these boards!

Thanks for the kind words there! Although this series is nowhere close to over as I still have loads of stadiums to draw. Glad you like the series, though!

I have to say, you really deserve a lot of praise for these concepts. I didn't see it until just recently and went through every page - very nice work. This thread is a great example of how the software you have doesn't determine the quality of your concepts. This is better work than a lot of Paint or even vector users I've seen post on here. Even though your logos aren't the most groundbreaking designs in the world, the amount of work and detail you put into every team is impressive. The stadium designs are my favorite part of this, it bring a lot of realism to the league.

One thing though, I would recommend investing in a scanner if you don't have one, that way you could scan and upload all your papers with better quality.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Yes, please get a scanner so we can view these in all their glory.

As one of your first fans, it's exciting to see you reach this impressive milestone. Lots of people flame out before finishing up their series. Please keep it coming!

What I'm most impressed with is how REAL Los Altos feels. It's the fun, odd little details that makes each town come alive. Real-world cities all have those unique things in their history that informs their modern identities.

While I'd love to see what you can do if you get your hands on Illustrator or Photoshop, part of me remains doubly-impressed at what you're doing by hand and want to see it continue. Just seeing your own growth from the first postings to now is inspiring. I can't imagine the amount of work and focus and passion that must go into doing all of these by hand. There's no Undo! (erasers don't count with colored pencils).

My personal favorite of all of your designs, by a mile, are the Homestead Sun Sox. I love everything about the team, from the identity, to the history, to the clever take on the "sox" usage, to the great logo. Of all of them, I'd like to see that one made into a beautiful vector logo and put on a shirt or hat. I'd be the first in line to buy one. (Hint: there are many online places where you can make real-life shirts and hats and other items with custom logos on them).

Well done, sir.

Very impressive work, Daryl! I must admit I never paid much attention to the uniforms, but seeing them all together is pretty impressive. As someone who also used to design logos, unis, and stadium on paper, I can appreciate all the work that went into this. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the stadiums!

I have to say, you really deserve a lot of praise for these concepts. I didn't see it until just recently and went through every page - very nice work. This thread is a great example of how the software you have doesn't determine the quality of your concepts. This is better work than a lot of Paint or even vector users I've seen post on here. Even though your logos aren't the most groundbreaking designs in the world, the amount of work and detail you put into every team is impressive. The stadium designs are my favorite part of this, it bring a lot of realism to the league.

One thing though, I would recommend investing in a scanner if you don't have one, that way you could scan and upload all your papers with better quality.

I'm very glad you enjoyed my concepts! The stadiums are my favorite part of this as well!

As for the whole scanner thing, I actually have one but I found taking pictures with my phone much more convenient as I can upload to Flickr almost instantly. But after your suggestion, I decided to take the time this afternoon scanning all the drawings for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Yes, please get a scanner so we can view these in all their glory.

As one of your first fans, it's exciting to see you reach this impressive milestone. Lots of people flame out before finishing up their series. Please keep it coming!

What I'm most impressed with is how REAL Los Altos feels. It's the fun, odd little details that makes each town come alive. Real-world cities all have those unique things in their history that informs their modern identities.

While I'd love to see what you can do if you get your hands on Illustrator or Photoshop, part of me remains doubly-impressed at what you're doing by hand and want to see it continue. Just seeing your own growth from the first postings to now is inspiring. I can't imagine the amount of work and focus and passion that must go into doing all of these by hand. There's no Undo! (erasers don't count with colored pencils).

My personal favorite of all of your designs, by a mile, are the Homestead Sun Sox. I love everything about the team, from the identity, to the history, to the clever take on the "sox" usage, to the great logo. Of all of them, I'd like to see that one made into a beautiful vector logo and put on a shirt or hat. I'd be the first in line to buy one. (Hint: there are many online places where you can make real-life shirts and hats and other items with custom logos on them).

Well done, sir.

Thank you for all your kind words there! I could safely agree with you when you say that many people don't end up finishing concept series. I was motivated the whole time (about more than a year since I started these) that I'll get all of these done. Well, I'm past halfway there!

I think what adds to the realism of Los Altos is the fact that it's existed in my imagination (and through drawings) ever since my elementary school years. I've added much more into it once I began getting older. I'm really glad you like that aspect of this league.

I do indeed see my growth as an artist through the past year and I gotta say, I'm really impressed with myself! I think one of the biggest parts to that, though, is the fact that I began using a photocopied template to make drawing jerseys a bit easier on me.

The Sun Sox is really one of the better ones I did. I enjoyed drawing up the logo and it was just overall interesting to make. Plus, it's orange and black! (Go Giants!)

I'm really glad you liked it all so far and kudos to you for following this series since the beginning. :)

Very impressive work, Daryl! I must admit I never paid much attention to the uniforms, but seeing them all together is pretty impressive. As someone who also used to design logos, unis, and stadium on paper, I can appreciate all the work that went into this. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the stadiums!

Thank you! For some reason, it's kinda interesting seeing everything together. Really shows the variety in colors and whatnot.

As for all those logos and stuff you used to design, any way for me to take a look? I'd be interested in seeing those, especially the stadiums. Well, I already saw your Suns concept and I did like it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

As requested, I have scanned all my jerseys drawings and replaced the old pics, taken on my phone, with the new, cleaner scanned pictures.

Also, don't forget to vote for your favorite team from each league!

~ Daryl

Archived