Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

That Princeton primary is absolutely gorgeous

Thank you! Though I'm not all too sure which primary you're talking about...

--------------------------------------

Today, I have an updated map of the Alton Baseball League. Here it is:

12846497565_c375089800_c.jpg

And then the updated team colors list:

12846580523_865a0c1d67_c.jpg

As you can see, a few teams have nothing as their team colors. That's where I'd like y'all's feedback on. Colors for the Farlin Shamrocks, Gallinne Roarers, the Hila Mounts, the Lewisburg Centrals, and the St. Catherine Saints; and, if possible, a new nickname for the Lewisburg team.

Some backgrounds on the team names for coming up with possible color combinations:

- The Shamrocks represent both the rich Irish heritage in the southern part of Los Altos as well as the many forests there.

- The Roarers represent the industrial heritage of Gallinne, both in manufacturing and in agriculture.

- The Mounts refer to the mountains and hills that give the state of Hila its name.

- The Centrals refer to the location of Lewisburg in the middle part of the country, (Hopefully someone could come up with a better name for this team)

- The Saints are a play to the city name of St. Catherine. No relation to the New Orleans team whatsoever.

Can't wait to see any suggestions!

~ Daryl

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the Roarers, do grey and wheat as their colors. And for one of the teams you haven't made a ballpark for, could you make it like the Columbus Clipper's Hunington Park?

Interesting suggestion! Gray and wheat should be fun to work with. Thanks!

So I looked up pictures of Huntington Park and I gotta say, that place looks pretty amazing! I'll find a way to use some elements of that park in a future stadium design. Thank you!

How about the colors neon green, silver and black for the Abrii Bi-Staters.

Well, I've since renamed the Abrii Bi-Staters as the Abrii Triad, using differing shades of red in its color scheme.

However, your suggested scheme of neon green, silver, and black could be a pretty cool color scheme for the Farlin Shamrocks...

For today's update, I have the stadium for the Chatfield Silverbacks. Here I present, Veterans Memorial Stadium:

14451514510_46af0c408b_c.jpg

My little story with this one is that Memorial Stadium is a former minor league ballpark that was heavily renovated when Chatfield was awarded an expansion team. Additions include the expansion of the right field lower bowl, a third deck on the 1st base side, a new single deck on the 3rd base side, left field seating, as well as the deck in right field. Features include a scoreboard that's partly below ground (I'll probably draw it up sometime) and a memorial garden behind it. This sure was a fun one to draw.

Also, I have for you guys the wordmarks for the Chatfield Silverbacks:

12983125403_de3526897f_c.jpg

As you might notice, the little notch things on top of the "C" and "S" is actually an abstract version of a gorilla's head. Any recommendations for a jersey are appreciated and yes, I do plan on making a jersey with a silver back.

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

PS: I would still appreciate some more suggestions for team names and colors.

Guest darkpiranha

Mounts - Dark grey and white (Mountain) and sky blue. (bonus suggestion- How about calling them the Paramounts, with "Mounts" as their nickname.)

Roarers - Orange, wheat, and black. Orange represents both sunset and molten metal. Wheat represents agriculture, and black represents the silhouettes resulting from molten metal and sunsets.

Saints - White, stone grey, and brown. Representing stone/marble and bricks of classic churches.

Centrals - Red, blue and purple. Alt nicknames. Cents (used on all logos, but short for Centrals. Used like Knicks rarely call themselves Knickerbockers), Crossroads, Hearts, Hub, or Nexus. I realize your names are all traditional and pluralized, but you never know.

Shamrocks - Neon green, Kelly green, silver and Boise State blue.

I gotta say, darkpiranha has some pretty interesting suggestions here...

Mounts - Dark grey and white (Mountain) and sky blue. (bonus suggestion- How about calling them the Paramounts, with "Mounts" as their nickname.)

I ended up taking your suggestion and ended up giving the Mounts the official name of the Hila Paramounts. Maybe I could work with sky blue and green because I already have two other teams with blue and white.

Roarers - Orange, wheat, and black. Orange represents both sunset and molten metal. Wheat represents agriculture, and black represents the silhouettes resulting from molten metal and sunsets.

Sweet! An excuse to incorporate Giants colors into this! But in reality, I ended up deciding on orange and wheat. Not only do they look good together, they also happen to be colors on the Alton flag.

Saints - White, stone grey, and brown. Representing stone/marble and bricks of classic churches.

I like where you're going with this, but the problem with this is that there are two other teams in the same division with pretty much the same basic color combination.

Centrals - Red, blue and purple. Alt nicknames. Cents (used on all logos, but short for Centrals. Used like Knicks rarely call themselves Knickerbockers), Crossroads, Hearts, Hub, or Nexus. I realize your names are all traditional and pluralized, but you never know.

I really like the name of the Lewisburg Hearts. Especially because they're in the heartland of the country. I should try to incorporate more of the purple in their identity.

Shamrocks - Neon green, Kelly green, silver and Boise State blue.

To distance away from the Granby 20s, I decided to stay away from a green and black combo. However, that didn't stop me from simply going with different shades of green! (And a bit of blue)

Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions with interesting meanings behind the colors!

Guest darkpiranha

I'm really enjoying the alternate world you've come up with. Way way back in the 80s, I created an alternate 51st state called New Eden where I set my superhero role-playing game. A few years later when Gretzky Hockey/Hockey League Simulator came out, I made one of the divisions of my league entirely made from New Eden cities.

I may have asked this before, but are you familiar with the novel, "The Universal Baseball Association" http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Baseball-Association-Henry-Waugh/dp/0452260302 It's about a guy who has made up a simulation baseball league and all the players in it. But then he sort of goes crazy. But the league he has created feels a lot like yours. Lots of fun. You'd probably enjoy it.

I'm really enjoying the alternate world you've come up with. Way way back in the 80s, I created an alternate 51st state called New Eden where I set my superhero role-playing game. A few years later when Gretzky Hockey/Hockey League Simulator came out, I made one of the divisions of my league entirely made from New Eden cities.

I may have asked this before, but are you familiar with the novel, "The Universal Baseball Association" http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Baseball-Association-Henry-Waugh/dp/0452260302 It's about a guy who has made up a simulation baseball league and all the players in it. But then he sort of goes crazy. But the league he has created feels a lot like yours. Lots of fun. You'd probably enjoy it.

Thank you! Would you still happen to have pictures of those teams and/or New Eden?

Seeing from the reviews that went over the basic plot of the story, it's pretty trippy. Trippy, but interesting. Trust me, I'm not as crazy as that guy... :lol:

For the Roarers, you could make the logo an R made out of wheat and the center be a molten cog

Interesting idea. That's what I ended up going with (before your suggestion), although with a slight tweak. I put an orange center with a gold outline with a wheat motif on the tail.

Here's a picture of my wordmark sketches:

13040425374_533f73321a_c.jpg

I've been playing around with the suggestions I've been getting, and I'd like to see y'all's opinions on them. My personal favorite is the monogram for the St. Catherine Saints, although I worry if it would remind people of a swastika. :/

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

I've got them somewhere. The logos were done in Deluxe Paint 3 on the old Amiga, and I don't have the desire to update them using modern technology.

As to the Saints, I'd leave the monogram just like it is, and make the swastika controversy part of the backstory. Maybe it's one of those things that a segment of the fanbase is always complaining about because it looks like a swastika to them, but the owner is standing fast and refusing to change the logo or even acknowledge their complaints.

I've got them somewhere. The logos were done in Deluxe Paint 3 on the old Amiga, and I don't have the desire to update them using modern technology.

As to the Saints, I'd leave the monogram just like it is, and make the swastika controversy part of the backstory. Maybe it's one of those things that a segment of the fanbase is always complaining about because it looks like a swastika to them, but the owner is standing fast and refusing to change the logo or even acknowledge their complaints.

Seems like an interesting backstories. I don't really do backstories for my teams, but I guess I could mention the swastika controversy in there. Thanks!

----------------------------------

For today's other update, I have the jerseys for the Chatfield Silverbacks:

14428855350_27bcde0737_c.jpg

Very simple, as silver and gray is a pretty hard color combo to work with. I accidentally put the city name on the home jersey, but then we could just say that the Silverbacks are my league's Texas Rangers because there is no mention of the team name on any of the jerseys. No alternates either, just a home and a road jersey (which has a slightly different shade of gray compared to the other road jerseys).

~ Daryl

No feedback, so I'll get right to my question.

So today, a friend of mine suggested two names which I realized would be good replacements for a generic Marina Bay Lizards name. The first he suggested was the Mackarels, which I realized could relate to the city's location on the coast. The other was the Armadillos, which could relate to the city's location in the desert.

So I'd like to get everyone's opinions on a better team name for Marina Bay. Suggestions on colors would also be appreciated. I will put up a poll in a bit.

~ Daryl

Archived