Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

Guest darkpiranha

Would Marina Bay Skippers work?

Second vote for Skippers. Fits in with the league's naming aesthetic perfectly.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marina Bay Armada?

That's actually a pretty epic name! Any color schemes you could suggest?

Would Marina Bay Skippers work?

Second vote for Skippers. Fits in with the league's naming aesthetic perfectly.

It's a great name, but my problem is that the next major league team to the southeast is the similarly-named Portside Sailors. So that's my issue.

--------------------------------------------------

For today's picture update, I have a progress shot of the current stadium I am working on, the third version of Mainst Stadium for the Larfa Entreps. The stadium is supposed to be located right in the middle of downtown Larfa, right on the city's main boulevard, which is to the left in this drawing.

13118096355_c3601e48f7_c.jpg

And since I mentioned that this is the stadium's third incarnation, I might as well show you guys the first and second versions:

13118373184_c42650a286_c.jpg

First version is on the left, second version in the center, and the third (unfinished) one on the right.

I have also updated the poll to add the Marina Bay Armada name.

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

These are always fascinating when you post them. I may have missed it earlier, but what's your thought process when you set out to design a stadium? Are there standard elements that you just tweak slightly, five or six shapes or styles that you tweak, or do you just freeform come up with a shape and then start filling in seats and causeways and such?

Hmmm...

Me thinks Burnt Orange/Navy, Cream/Navy, or Navy/Powder/Cream for the Armada

I think that orange and blue would work pretty good out of your suggestions. I got a cream and navy team not too far away, so I think I'd be better off with orange and blue.

These are always fascinating when you post them. I may have missed it earlier, but what's your thought process when you set out to design a stadium? Are there standard elements that you just tweak slightly, five or six shapes or styles that you tweak, or do you just freeform come up with a shape and then start filling in seats and causeways and such?

Thank you! Honestly, I just draw around whatever random dimensions I come up with. In the simplest terms, my stadiums are practically the same. Multiple decks and foul pole dimensions that are usually around 330 feet. And then the tweaking comes in. To add flavor to the stadiums, I expand or shorten the dimensions. A unique city block is very helpful for that. I also make changes to the decks, such as adding a third deck or taking out the decks in left field. That's all I could think of right now as I have never really thought my thought processes in designing a stadium.

Okay instead of Marina Bay Skippers go with Marina Bay Skates? Skates as in a type of ray

Interesting suggestion. Although there might be a chance that a baseball team won't instantly come into anyone's head, which thinks that the Marina Bay Skates is instead some skate shop or something. The ray idea isn't all too bad, although I think I might make it look too much like Tampa Bay.

Two thoughts:

What about Marina Bay Bucs?(as in Buccaneers)

What about a Wrigley Field type ballpark for MainSt stadium?

I think I've already decided to use the Marina Bay Armada for the team name. However, Buccaneers isn't really too bad of a suggestion. Thanks!

I don't really understand what you mean by "Wrigley Field-type" ballpark. If it's the old-fashioned feeling of Wrigley Field you're talking about, Mainst Stadium is nowhere near that definition. This stadium is a modern stadium with glass facades in the middle of an urbanized city.

------------------------------------

Well, I've decided to name the Marina Bay team the Marina Bay Armada. Shoutout to mamiller99 for the awesome name!

Currently, I'm working on the exteriors of Mainst Stadium and I'll hopefully have it done before the end of my three-day weekend this weekend. And when I'm done with that, I go straight to drawing a new stadium.

And I might as well put up my current progress with completing the Alton Baseball League. Only counting the new style of stadium drawings I've been drawing since around August, I have completed 10/30 stadiums. Alongside the stadiums, I have completed 13/30 uniform sets. Almost halfway done~

~ Daryl

Sweet! And honestly, I was looking up colors for teams that have anything to do with water.

It's a pretty awesome combo! Although it was pretty challenging to not make the Armada look like the Mets...

-------------------------------------------------------

Today, I have the completed form of Mainst Stadium v3 in Larfa. Here it is:

14451743137_a622dd7b7c_c.jpg

As I've stated in previous posts, Mainst Stadium is in the heart of downtown Larfa. Oh, and Larfa is a gambling town, so it's pretty much like a Las Vegas. A unique feature of Mainst Stadium is the famous restaurant in right field that has its own exclusive seats in the stadium.

Also for today, I have a bonus drawing. I was working on sketches for the St. Catherine Saints and I was having quite a lotta fun with it. So I decided to dive right into their uniforms today. But first, here's the uniforms:

14614974952_381ca64373_c.jpg

This was a fun one to make. Despite the possible swastika controversy with the cap logo, the outline font set I used was really fun to play around with. The primary logo abbreviates the Saints as "St.s" and is stylized like the Yankees primary logo. Sand colored home and alt jerseys and the stone color of the road jersey represent the colors of the stones used to build churches. The color meanings are all courtesy of darkpiranha, who gives some really impressive suggestions.

~ Daryl

Hmmm...

Me thinks Burnt Orange/Navy, Cream/Navy, or Navy/Powder/Cream for the Armada

I think that orange and blue would work pretty good out of your suggestions. I got a cream and navy team not too far away, so I think I'd be better off with orange and blue.

Thank you! Honestly, I just draw around whatever random dimensions I come up with. In the simplest terms, my stadiums are practically the same. Multiple decks and foul pole dimensions that are usually around 330 feet. And then the tweaking comes in. To add flavor to the stadiums, I expand or shorten the dimensions. A unique city block is very helpful for that. I also make changes to the decks, such as adding a third deck or taking out the decks in left field. That's all I could think of right now as I have never really thought my thought processes in designing a stadium.

Okay instead of Marina Bay Skippers go with Marina Bay Skates? Skates as in a type of ray

Interesting suggestion. Although there might be a chance that a baseball team won't instantly come into anyone's head, which thinks that the Marina Bay Skates is instead some skate shop or something. The ray idea isn't all too bad, although I think I might make it look too much like Tampa Bay.

Two thoughts:

What about Marina Bay Bucs?(as in Buccaneers)

What about a Wrigley Field type ballpark for MainSt stadium?

I think I've already decided to use the Marina Bay Armada for the team name. However, Buccaneers isn't really too bad of a suggestion. Thanks!

I don't really understand what you mean by "Wrigley Field-type" ballpark. If it's the old-fashioned feeling of Wrigley Field you're talking about, Mainst Stadium is nowhere near that definition. This stadium is a modern stadium with glass facades in the middle of an urbanized city.

------------------------------------

~ Daryl

I was referring to the way it is ingrained in the neighborhood

I was referring to the way it is ingrained in the neighborhood

Ah, I see now. I guess I can say Mainst Stadium is pretty ingrained in its location. The home plate entrance gives a nice, open view of the city, like how it shows a nice view of the stadium looking in. The glass facades help it blend in with the large glass buildings in the area. The restaurant is also open to the public during the offseason. I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I said what I could say...

------------------------------------------------

I was bored this afternoon, so I decided to tackle another team's jersey set. So here's the Abrii Triad:

14614993852_5156b26189_c.jpg

I kinda like this design because it's pretty unique.It was hard to combine the stars and the A into one logo, so it's one or the other. Very simple wordmarks for this one. The highlight of the design, in my opinion, is the red stripe that goes through the middle of the jersey, Adds some flavor to an otherwise plain design.

The name Triad comes from the team's location in tri-city area that doubles up as a bi-state area. The three stars represent the three cities and the team name is Abrii because that's the state the stadium is in.

What do y'all think?

~ Daryl

This thread is incredible!!!! Great job man!

Those drawings are incredibly accurate to be drawn by hand.

Thank you very much! The detail-oriented part of carries over to my drawings, therefore they always end up being pretty detailed. Such as the rows of seating being aligned and the field dimensions. Always the little things that tend to be overlooked...

---------------------------------------

For today's update, I'll give you guys a sneak peek of my next drawing, Dick's [sporting Goods] Stadium. My very stadium with a retractable roof:

13300444205_778275fd9e_c.jpg

As you can see, so much steel bars. I really should've drawn all the seats first. Anyways, it's a symmetrical field much like Chase Field in Arizona. However, I didn't want the retractable roof to be a complete ripoff of Chase Field. So I went to the drawing board sketching up a unique retractable roof design...

13300832774_fd18442a7f_c.jpg

First of all, this sketch page contains a side view of Mainst Stadium (the last stadium I recently completed) and its glass facade. I'll go more in detail with the concept of this retractable roof once Dick's Stadium is complete. But basically, the roof consists of four giant square pieces that move in either of two directions.As a result, there are many combinations of how the roof could be opened.

So what do you guys think?

~ Daryl

Do you have a job with a stadium design company? You should!

I don't. In reality, I'm just a high school sophomore.

I initially wanted to be an architect when I'm older, but a poor job market for architects and their low pay got to me lean towards pharmacy for a career.

Do you have a job with a stadium design company? You should!

I don't. In reality, I'm just a high school sophomore.

I initially wanted to be an architect when I'm older, but a poor job market for architects and their low pay got to me lean towards pharmacy for a career.

Ah well, there's some great stuff in here. Love to see how you would do stadia for other sports, if you ever do another concept thread. Great work!

bef9f409-173d-42e4-83c3-0dfb0596cf6e_zps56f6504c-a533-4b0a-a54f-0a17bc034a3c_zps

How did I miss this thread until just now? Great thread! Great work, man! Very impressive!

Thank you, sir!

Like the new triad logo. It looks like Nashville's guitar pick logo. Also, the restaurant in the park is truly genius.

Thanks! I went to the Nashville Predators page on SportsLogosNet and I do indeed see the similarity. It's the three stars, isn't it? As for the restaurant, I like incorporating those into a stadium to add some more flavor in it. Pun probably intended.

Ah well, there's some great stuff in here. Love to see how you would do stadia for other sports, if you ever do another concept thread. Great work!

Thanks! I did do a football/baseball stadium for the Granby teams that's probably a few pages back. It's Yellow Pages Stadium, if you're looking for it. Honestly, I don't think making arenas (obviously for hockey/basketball) just has the same level of fun as creating baseball stadiums. The only difference makers in arenas would have to be court/rink designs, in my opinion. Meanwhile in baseball stadiums, the possibilities are endless! Therefore, I think they're so just so much fun to draw...

--------------------------------------------------

For tonight's update, I have completed the home of the Marina Bay Armada, Dick's Sporting Goods Stadium. Here it is in its monstrous presence in a Marina Bay neighborhood:

14638165845_789dfe4783_c.jpg

Marina Bay is a seaside desert town along the Nare shoreline. So it only makes sense that it has a retractable roof. And palm trees. Don't forget the palm trees. The roof really takes up a lot of land space, so I decided to might as well incorporate parking garages into the stadium itself. Behind home plate lies a light rail station whereas buses are available beyond the outfield. The field itself is completely symmetrical and embraces the curves of the field design, which is shown through the patterns mowed onto the grass. Two restaurants are located on the second deck in both the right field and left field sides.

To give you guys a better look at just how big this thing is, I decided to draw a perspective sketch of Dick's Stadium:

13371504185_096933007e_c.jpg

Honestly, this drawing suggests that the stadium looks somewhat like a large shopping mall. But obviously, it is not. As for the angle, this is facing towards the 1st base side of the stadium, as the avenue is behind center field and the rail station behind home plate.

As for the roof, it could be opened in many different combinations. Here's a collage that shows some of these combinations (follow the whiter squares here):

13368040685_961ba41035_c.jpg

Clockwise from upper left, it goes: roof fully closed, roof retracted behind home plate and beyond outfield, only right field covered, only left field covered, only outfield covered, roof retracted beyond the 1st and 3rd base sides. The middle picture shows only the infield covered.

That was pretty much the simplest way for me to explain this complicated roof.

Finally, I have some questions to ask of you guys. I'm doing the identity for the Marina Bay Armada, but I'm trying not to make it look too much like the New York Mets, the reason being that they both share a blue/orange color scheme. I'm building off this wordmark, so I need y'all's help in helping differentiate the Armada from the Mets:

Bi0TksoCcAEC2Ia.jpg

Although I could still incorporate a story that involves the Armada being bought by people related with the New York Mets...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts and opinions!

~ Daryl

Guest darkpiranha

Wow. Stunning in its creativity and thoroughness. And equally stunned to find out you're only a sophomore in high school. Keep this up and you'll have endless offers for job opportunities. Have you thought about video game architectural design? Every building in every game needs to be designed by someone, and you clearly have the chops. I'm just fascinated by where you're pulling all these ideas from. This one especially is the coolest one of them all, especially the perspective sketch. It shows a real understanding of how buildings are designed and placed into the surrounding area.

Great stuff. Keep it coming.

Archived