Hand-Drawn Baseball Drawings I: Alton Baseball League

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see the Cattlers with the Astros' number font and the Whalers with some sort of blue/green combo instead of teal(?).Im just not feelin' it for the Whalers...

Thanks for the suggestion! Here's a new pic of the Cattlers jerseys with the 2013 Astros font:

14613426794_5f00c3800a_c.jpg

As for the Whalers jerseys, I can't really find a way to incorporate green into their jerseys without ruining the overall simplicity of the jerseys.

I don't know anything about baseball rules or anything that goes in depth. But how does the length of the outfield come in play with stadiums? Shouldn't every field be somewhat the same shape and what not to make it a more fair gameplay? Like a home run one place wouldn't be in another stadium. Could someone explain?

Also I've always been a fan of stadium designs..and all of these are awesome. Great work man!

Sorry for the bother again. I guess it's an idea (again, not that familiar with Ballpark looks so I'm not sure if it'd be a good look) but a stadium kind of like Michigan Stadium. Where the basically is only one level going all the way around (kind of high). I always love the look of the bowl stadium design.

I don't know anything about baseball rules or anything that goes in depth. But how does the length of the outfield come in play with stadiums? Shouldn't every field be somewhat the same shape and what not to make it a more fair gameplay? Like a home run one place wouldn't be in another stadium. Could someone explain?

Also I've always been a fan of stadium designs..and all of these are awesome. Great work man!

Thanks, Wonka!

As for the outfield dimensions affecting gameplay, it's actually a pretty important factor. In stadiums with shorter dimensions, such as Texas, are known to be more hitter-friendly parks (offering more home runs), while stadiums with longer dimensions, such as San Francisco, are known to be pitcher-friendly parks (offering less home runs).

Another factor affecting gameplay is the climate. In the moist climates of the West, the ball doesn't go as far as it would in areas with drier climates.

Apart from that, differing dimensions give eacj stadium a unique feel to them, each with their own unique quirks. And you don't really see this uniqueness in other sports.

Sorry for the bother again. I guess it's an idea (again, not that familiar with Ballpark looks so I'm not sure if it'd be a good look) but a stadium kind of like Michigan Stadium. Where the basically is only one level going all the way around (kind of high). I always love the look of the bowl stadium design.

I don't think a bowl stadium would be a really good fit for a baseball stadium. Sight lines would be pretty bad and it would take up much more space than a normal multi-deck baseball stadium would. Just my opinion...

(Though maybe I could try a tweaked version of a bowl stadium sometime...)

Thanks, Wonka!

As for the outfield dimensions affecting gameplay, it's actually a pretty important factor. In stadiums with shorter dimensions, such as Texas, are known to be more hitter-friendly parks (offering more home runs), while stadiums with longer dimensions, such as San Francisco, are known to be pitcher-friendly parks (offering less home runs).

Another factor affecting gameplay is the climate. In the moist climates of the West, the ball doesn't go as far as it would in areas with drier climates.

Apart from that, differing dimensions give eacj stadium a unique feel to them, each with their own unique quirks. And you don't really see this uniqueness in other sports.

That's actually really cool. I now have another level of respect for the sport of baseball.

• 2 weeks later...

Over my vacation so far, I've been doodling. And with that, I came up with an idea for a stadium I will get started on when I get back home in January.

I came up with the idea of a multi-use stadium for the Granby 20's. The stadium will be shared with the Granby Strikers of the football league.

The layout would be similar to that of Sun Life Stadium when it was shared between the Marlins and the Dolphins. The football field would be along the first base line, from home plate to first base. Left field would go right up to the edge of the second deck as a result. It's kinda hard for me to describe it in words, so here's a picture:

11559248814_94d149e517_c.jpg

The right field wall would be around 375 feet (I could change it on request), but the right field seats would be at around 450 feet from home as a result of the football field. As a result, the bullpens are located in that vacant space between 375 and 450.

As for the seats, seats around the batter's eye would obviously be tarped off, along with the entire "outfield" third deck and part of the "backstop" third deck. In addition, additional seating for the football configuration is added over a large part of left and center field.

This is just a sketch of what's to come, so I'd be happy to make any tweaks upon request. As I'm not that much of a football fan, any tips on NFL stadiums would be appreciated, as football would also be played in this stadium.

~ Daryl

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back from vacation and I have already gotten started on my next stadium. The multipurpose stadium in Granby. As requested, I have two versions of this stadium, one in the baseball stadium and the other in the football layout. On two different sheets of graph paper, of course. Here's a progress shot of what I have so far:

11899150515_8a56ccd9a5_c.jpg

It's obvious to see the differing seating configurations for each sport. So far, I only have the flexible lower level. The two top levels, however, will be more permanent. Just with tarps on.

If there are any issues in the football configuration, feel free to tell me! Football stadiums are kinda uncharted territory for me, so any tips would be appreciated,

~ Daryl

Looks good so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks! This sure is an interesting project for me, so I also can't wait to share with you guys the final drawing!

This is a really cool idea. just a random thought but it would be cool if you included the dirt panels in the football field drawing sort of like the raiders

173840-0-600.jpg

At first, I was against putting the dirt panels, but after your post I decided to put them in.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far!

looks pretty sweet keep it up

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it!

----------------------------------------

For my next update, I will post a progress shot of the stadium as of tonight as well as give you guys a sneek peek at what the home baseball team will look like for Granby. So now we start...

Here's what I have so far for the stadium:

11991357316_4ec4a5cc76_c.jpg

As of tonight, I have finished the lower seating and the second deck. However, I don't know exactly what seats to tarp off for the baseball configuration. I'm just basing it on sightlines, but any opinions on that topic are appreciated!

Now to the home baseball team, the Granby 20's. I got the name because of the street the stadium is located on, which in this case is 20th Avenue in Granby. Here's their (rather simple) primary logo as well as their main cap logo:

11990920534_3482623f16_c.jpg

As you can see, I'm using a rather unique green/black combo for the 20's. I'm aiming for a more modern look for this team as to blend in with the city's relatively young fanbase (Granby is a university town). Any ideas to help that concept would be appreciated.

~ Daryl

The stadium drawings are next level man. That is awesome.

I have seen many people post the outer façade of stadiums in their sigs over the years as they are often the most iconic imagery of a stadium. Any chance you are doing that at all, or just the overhead art?

The stadium drawings are next level man. That is awesome.

I have seen many people post the outer façade of stadiums in their sigs over the years as they are often the most iconic imagery of a stadium. Any chance you are doing that at all, or just the overhead art?

Thanks! Occasionally, I do drawings of the stadium as you would see it from home plate. But that is pretty rare as I focus more on the overhead shots.

--------------------------------------------

For today's update, I have the completed form of Yellow Pages Stadium in Granby. And then I have the completed uniform set for the Granby 20s.

First, the stadium.

Baseball Configuration:

14451583468_a702f28ed8_c.jpg

Football Configuration:

14634945181_dc3e73a571_c.jpg

The differences between the seating for baseball and football are very obvious in these pictures, most especially the temporary football seating in left field.

Now for the Granby 20s jerseys:

14592507846_f8fc64c56b_c.jpg

The 20s have a rather simple, modern look to them. And black and green is a pretty awesome combination. And I went out on a limb and gave the Twenties 1920s fauxback jerseys. Pretty hard to think up of, so I decided to use a simple black and white combination.

Any opinions, suggestions, and complaints are appreciated!

~ Daryl

Archived