NFL monochrome uniforms

oldschoolvikings

I will say overall I'm not a huge fan of the monochrome, but I have to say the Nike monochrome looks much better than the shiny Reebok crap. I absolutely despise that shiny fabric and I hated it when it was used in the NBA as well.

That being said, dare I say I'd like to see what the Dolphins would look like in their new teal monochrome.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the monochrome look like a lot on here do, I always wondered what the chargers would look like with there current blue uni set, can somebody do a mock up of it please, i remember when they wore there old blue on blue for the first time ever in the 2003 game with the dolphins.

10fymxg.jpg

I don't mine the monochrome look like a lot on here do, I always wondered what the chargers would look like with there current blue uni set, can somebody do a mock up of it please, i remember when they wore there old blue on blue for the first time ever in the 2003 game with the dolphins.

10fymxg.jpg

These are what they should be wearing anyways.

6823538.jpg

Grown men look ridiculous in head-to-toe or at least shoulder-to-toe one color tights. White's a neutral color that just does not look the same in monochrome form as other colors. Just how it is.

I don't quite buy that. If that's the case, then why is black monochrome usually hated? It's a neutral color as well, right?

I think whats truly important is how well its executed.

Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings on all monochrome looks. When your jersey, helmet, and pants are all the same color (or just the jersey & pants), it highlights the other elements of your jersey, such as striping. Accessories, such as socks, gloves, facemasks (yes, I count facemasks as accessories), shoes, etc. become more important as well. You have to pay more attention to complete color balance and well-executed jersey design than usual, which is not something a lot of teams do.

Want proof of how important it is? Look at the Dolphins' whites and the Ravens' blacks (those are my two favorite teams, btw). Both didn't pay attention to either color balance or jersey design (Dolphins need to swap navy around with orange, Ravens desperately need a stripe on those pants), and their mono looks suffer as a result.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I'm in the extreme minority here, but I honestly love monochrome of all kinds (except for black). I love bright and outrageous colors and crazy color schemes. I LOVE the Titans' baby blue monochrome, and the Dolphins' teal one, I love the Texans' 'Battle Red' and Minnesota's all-purple look, I loved when the Chiefs did it yesterday, I love when the Seahawks do it (expecially the grey) and I honestly wish the Broncos would try an orange monochrome. The only ones I don't approve of are Jacksonville's and Baltimore's all-black looks.

I understand that this is an extremely disagreeable opinion, but I wish we saw more of this in the NFL.

Monochrome is hated due to guys having something implanted in their mind that it's "girly"... thus the reason you hear them say it looks like unitards.

Yet, they think Batman looks cool and other superheroes. They think blacked out vehicles look good, etc etc etc...

Really makes little sense.

I think it's a weird subconscious paranoia thing. The ballerina complex.

I don't mind the monochrome look like a lot on here. I always wondered what the chargers would look like with there current blue uni set, can somebody do a mock up of it please, i remember when they wore there old blue on blue for the first time ever in the 2003 game with the dolphins.

10fymxg.jpg

Done......

Sdchargersblue.jpg

(For more monochrome madness, visit this six-yrar-old thread of the same name.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Grown men look ridiculous in head-to-toe or at least shoulder-to-toe one color tights. White's a neutral color that just does not look the same in monochrome form as other colors. Just how it is.

I don't quite buy that. If that's the case, then why is black monochrome usually hated? It's a neutral color as well, right?

Sports aesthetic is slightly different. White is the only true neutral color. Gray in some applications (baseball road uniforms, facemasks in some opinions, etc.). Black is not a neutral color in the world of sports uniforms/logo design except for use as a minimal outline in logos, primarily. Otherwise it's a team color option. No different than any other color (except the aforementioned white).

Since the Bengals insist on keeping the white side panels on their black jerseys, I think the monochrome works better for them than the black jersey - white pants, which looks like ass. In fact, the white side panels may be all that salvages their monochrome set. Without it, it would be too much black, like we've seen with other teams in this thread.

So, while I don't like monochrome and I don't like the white side panels, they work better together than they do apart from one another, at least in the case of the Bengals.

Archived