Bucs Cannot Wear Throwback Due to Safety Issue

tron1013

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the stupidest story I have ever read....I cannot see how someone is going to have a better chance of getting hurt because their helmet is different in color as it should be the same exact helmet that they wear every other week.

spacer.png

exactly, it has more to do with the custom-fitting of the helmets and breaking them in over the course of a year compared to a one-off helmet of different design that they haven't had time to properly adjust. the color has nothing to do with it. it has to do with the physical shell and padding inside

Could this eventually lead to colleges shying away from multiple helmets as well?

I really hope so. It's gotten way out of hand at the college level.

I imagine this is more of a legal liability issue than it is actually an issue of real safety. How is using an old helmet for the 20th game in week 17 with hundreds of hits taken to it safer than using a brand new helmet? It's probably a matter of the league not having to insure more helmets than they have to. Of course I could be wronger than wrong on that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Why not let them break them in during practice? Seems logical to me. That's what hockey goalies do with their pads.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Last week the Bears and Bills wore throwback uniforms. Did the Bills use the regular helmet but with the old logo? Did the Bears take off the C and change the face masks?

Yup. That's what they did. At least according to the article.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Why not let them break them in during practice? Seems logical to me. That's what hockey goalies do with their pads.

Some teams have done that in the past. I don't remember which team, but the players would wear the throwback helmets in practice for a few weeks before the throwback game.

And there might be something to this, because I remember hearing a team several years back which didn't want to do a throwback because the players were comfortable in their "broken in" helmets. And that was before the concussion issue came to the surface.

As I said in the other thread, they aren't "breaking in" the plastic of the helmet, distorting it with multiple hits until it better conforms to their heads. No, they are breaking in the padding. Since the padding is routinely removed when the helmets are cleaned, it seems plausible that they could just take the padding from their regular helmets and put it into the throwback ones.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

So does this mean no throwbacks for the Packers when they play the Browns? That's coming up soon.

Unless they go with blank yellow helmets, sounds like it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

So does this mean no throwbacks for the Packers when they play the Browns? That's coming up soon.

Unless they go with blank yellow helmets, sounds like it.

Honestly, blank yellow would probably look better than the brown ones anyway.

Really, the NFL is saving us all from having to view the creamsicles and Bruce.

Watch it, KJ. :P

------------------------------------------------------

All that said, if that means we're closer to this becoming a reality....

Head-to-toe pewter, I present, by way of my cousin, the "cannonball" look:

TBbucspewter.jpg

...then by all means!

(That'd seriously be a dream come true for this Buccanut right here.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived