Bucs Cannot Wear Throwback Due to Safety Issue

tron1013

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riddell's contract with the NFL has not been renewed. Should be interesting to see how that affects things. Hopefully the only thing that happens is Riddell isn't slapped on the helmets. Worst case, the NFL continues to allow substandard helmets to be worn.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The Packers wore their God-awful throwbacks last week.

Did they just peel the G's and the stripe off their regular helmets?

Yes they did...and you could see the facemask was still dark green. However, I actually thought that uniform looks a lot better with the regular helmet as opposed to the brown turd they wore last time.

The Packers wore their God-awful throwbacks last week.

Did they just peel the G's and the stripe off their regular helmets?

You mean their gorgeous throwbacks. Still starts with a "g".

And yes, they simply stripped off the logo decal and Braisher stripes. Same gold shells, same green facemasks.

browns-packers-football-tashaun-gipson-e

They could have used different facemasks, as the Bears did with their throwbacks earlier this year. Hope they do so next season.

Riddell's contract with the NFL has not been renewed. Should be interesting to see how that affects things. Hopefully the only thing that happens is Riddell isn't slapped on the helmets. Worst case, the NFL continues to allow substandard helmets to be worn.

It won't change things much at all. The only difference is that other manufacturer logos will be allowed on the helmets.

The NFL's deal with Riddell is a branding deal, nothing more. As it stands now, players can wear any number of pre-approved helmets, but the front bumper has to either be left blank or use a team logo. You can see this when Aaron Rodgers switched from a Riddell to Schutt during the 2010 season:

aaron-rodgers1.jpgaaronrodgersgettyid176208016.jpg

Starting next year, he can wear this front bumper:

schutt_air_xp_adult3.jpg

But that's the only difference.

It won't change things much at all. The only difference is that other manufacturer logos will be allowed on the helmets.

The NFL's deal with Riddell is a branding deal, nothing more. As it stands now, players can wear any number of pre-approved helmets, but the front bumper has to either be left blank or use a team logo. You can see this when Aaron Rodgers switched from a Riddell to Schutt during the 2010 season:

schutt_air_xp_adult3.jpg

I guess we will have to wait until next year to see which way the NFL goes - either they will go this way and allow all the manufacturer logos to show on one of the two bumpers (since almost all designs these days have front and rear bumpers with the manufacturer's logo) or if they go the other way and Riddell helmets will now have their logo replaced with the team logo.

I remember back in the late 1980s (just before the NFL signed that deal with Riddell) that some teams would leave the manufacturer logo in place while others would replace it with the team logo - I guess we could even see this become a team-by-team thing.

I also don't think this will stop anyone from wearing a "substandard" helmet either - those guys who love their Riddell VSR-4s, Shutt Air Advantages and Shutt Pro Air IIs (although Marvin Harrison might be the only guy left still wearing a Pro Air II, and who knows if he'll try a comeback after surgery on his ACL) will still be wearing them until their equipment managers can't find any more replacement shells/padding for them.

schutt_air_xp_adult3.jpg

I guess we will have to wait until next year to see which way the NFL goes - either they will go this way and allow all the manufacturer logos to show on one of the two bumpers (since almost all designs these days have front and rear bumpers with the manufacturer's logo) or if they go the other way and Riddell helmets will now have their logo replaced with the team logo.

I remember back in the late 1980s (just before the NFL signed that deal with Riddell) that some teams would leave the manufacturer logo in place while others would replace it with the team logo - I guess we could even see this become a team-by-team thing.

I also don't think this will stop anyone from wearing a "substandard" helmet either - those guys who love their Riddell VSR-4s, Shutt Air Advantages and Shutt Pro Air IIs (although Marvin Harrison might be the only guy left still wearing a Pro Air II, and who knows if he'll try a comeback after surgery on his ACL) will still be wearing them until their equipment managers can't find any more replacement shells/padding for them.

I think you meant Reggie Wayne. There are still a handful of old school schutt wearers out there including Frank Gore as well.

My bet is that helmets will go logoless next year. No way the league wants to do any free adverts for anyone.

Archived