Letter-modified Pro logos

nash61

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, not that either.

Terrible logo.

Yeh, um, no. I'm correct. It's so clearly obvious that the thing is an "M" for "Montréal", with an "e" for "Expos" and a "b" for "baseball". No "d". No "j". No "l". An "e", an "M", and a "b". That is all.

And what's why it was always a terrible logo.

The Montreal Expos logo is a capital "M" and an embedded lower case "e". Nothing else.

EXPOS1.jpg

That is just dumb, doesn't look like a "M" (unless you are only supposed to look at the outlines, then, well it stays dumb). For the Montreal Canadians, the CH logo stands for Canadiens du Hockey, it only makes sense for the Expos to follow suit. It looks like the 'e' is superimposed on a 'd'.

The Montreal Olympic logo had some "M" trouble as well, which in that case had an extra loop...

The Expos logo was probably created by some pot smoking hippy at some ad agency who promptly forgot why he did it...

tigercatssignature-1.png

The Montreal Expos logo is a capital "M" and an embedded lower case "e". Nothing else.

EXPOS1.jpg

That is just dumb, doesn't look like a "M" (unless you are only supposed to look at the outlines, then, well it stays dumb). For the Montreal Canadians, the CH logo stands for Canadiens du Hockey, it only makes sense for the Expos to follow suit. It looks like the 'e' is superimposed on a 'd'.

Never get tired of saying it - that's exactly why this beloved old design is a terrible logo.

Oddly enough, the Vermont Expos used parent-club styled jerseys, but the actual logo was entirely unique. Not sure if Burlington being 90 minutes from Montreal had anything to do with it.

82144-2Fr.jpg

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Upon further research I found this (black?) Vermont Expos set with a "Vermont" in that script and a cap logo that appears inspired by the parent club. I can't recall this identity; I suspect it was very brief before they rebranded to the Lake Monsters in 2006. You can see more of it in this video:

60fd1e3b3fee763270e093befbc0015b.jpg

xFY2Pfn.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

EXPOS1.jpg

Never get tired of saying it - that's exactly why this beloved old design is a terrible logo.
Problem is that it's going to stick around should Montreal return to MLB. Like the pretzel W in Washington it's a mark that's probably going to stick around longer then it should just because of the way the last team left town.

When both the team's media guide and the press release from the logo's unveiling say that there is an "M" and an "e", that should probably be a hint. For some reason, the press release doesn't mention the "b", which is funny because that's the "universally noticed" letter (meaning nobody really disputes its presence). Though again, the team's style guide (IMO, the slightly more reliable of the two sources) explained that, yes, there is a "b" for baseball, and it's pretty clearly defined anyways.

eMb

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived