Pictures of Fake Jerseys that are "Almost" Real (and other jersey topics for articles I write)

rmackman

Yeah, for sure. When I gotf the jersey that was the first thing I noticed, I was surprised, I expected them to be printed on. I just wanted to comment because I knew what you meant but to somebody who knows NOTHING about jerseys they might think legit jerseys with fabric stripes are fake. I wouldn't be surprised if they switched to them when Nike took over.

On my jersey the entire sleeve is that different fabric that the stripes were on.

600 POSTS!

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Riddle me this:

Is this a real jersey:

th_2010Minnesota_zps7856639c.jpg th_2010MinnesotaB_zps5955e086.jpg

The script looks good; the patches are patches, and appear to be the appropriate size; there's the lil registered mark in the Majestic mountains.

But, the number on the back seems way too low... and a lil wavy...

I can't think of any examples so

I may be wrong, but I would imagine that there are examples of twill numbers combined with heat pressed NOBs.

In the case of that Ricky Watters jersey , they only had stitched numbers in '95, but they were noticeably thinner than the heat pressed ones that they replaced. The example in the article shows twill numbers that are the same thickness of the heat pressed ones.

That may be an authentic jersey just with poor customization. I have a pro-line Eagles authentic from '92. They only had numbers (or blanks) back then, no names. Could be a NFLPA thing. Anyway , I had it customized by the now defunct Gold Medal Sports, who actually did the work for the team. I got a twill nameplate with twill letters. The letters were standard block, while the Eagles actually had a much more square font. ( for example , the A had a straight horizontal line on top).

Even at 15, I was very disappointed, and to this day I've wanted to fix it, but nobody - even Exclusive Pro - can match the font (they said it was the same as the Colts current font, which is absolutely not true.)

Just FYI you say something along the lines of, "if your stripes are material, it's a fake jersey". I have a Browns Elite that is 100% real and the stripes are part of the fabric on the arm, my Cowboys elite does have printed on stripes though.

The stripes should not be fabric. The Chicago Bears had, for a time, two printed stripes, and then the third stripe was part of the armband/cuff. I cannot think of a time when the Browns ever had material/fabric stripes.

You are wrong. That's all there is to it. Look at any steelers jersey to see woven stripes. I can't confirm the Browns, but I do think they have the same thing.

Just because team x is printed doesn't mean team y isn't "material".

I think you may be mistaken. I've done some research and it appears that the Eagles NOB font was just a standard thin block.

Here is a picture of an authentic, game worn jersey.

10_2093_lg.jpeg

However, here's a Reebok throwback version, which got the NOB font wrong.

RandallCunninghamGreenEaglesPremier__482

I've looked through the 1992 Eagles photos from Getty and they all match up with the game worn jersey, not the 'new' throwback version.

Here's a prime example: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/william-fuller-of-the-philadelphia-eagles-during-a-nfl-news-photo/82673929

And another, even better: http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/philadelphia-eagles-randall-cunningham-talking-to-teammate-news-photo/50728885

I think you may be mistaken. I've done some research and it appears that the Eagles NOB font was just a standard thin block. Here is a picture of an authentic, game worn jersey.10_2093_lg.jpeg

[image removed]

I've looked through the 1992 Eagles photos from Getty and they all match up with the game worn jersey, not the 'new' throwback version.

That is NOT repeat NOT a game worn jersey. The numbers are off as well as the letters. They never had the rounded 1, and the only year that they had twill numbers on those jerseys they were thinner. I'm not sure where you got that pic, but I'll resign from the board if it can be proven that jersey was worn in a game. It's wrong in several ways.

They never had the non-mesh shoulders with that design. They only had the double-layer mesh. That jersey probably isn't even made by Russell.

I'll give you that the jersey in your pic does show that David Alexander's NOB looks like normal block, but look at the ones next to him. They may have had mix and match at times, but that's the minority.

There is no way that any on-field photos will look like the game jersey. I'm not sure where you got that from.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So in looking back, I may have been mistaken about the letter "A". I could not find examples of it with a flat bar on top. That's my 36-year old brain misremembering things I guess.

Here's an example of one from the only twill year. Note the mesh on top. Also this font looks like a stretched block. I do not think that this is the same font that was used through the heat-pressed era.

2r6yy4i.jpg

Here's a Mike Golic from '92. Look at the C. IMO that doesn't have the sharp corners that a typical block-font letter would have. They look more square to me.

8920_01_lg.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

@BBTV: I was just going off the site I found it on. I did notice that it looks thinner, but I was looking specifically for the A you were talking about.

It does look different than a standard block, it looks like a thinner version of the standard block font with a more 'squared' look as you mentioned.

Yeah I guess I was wrong about the As, though that doesn't mean I'm not going to be up for hours trying to find even one pic that proves I'm not crazy. May be a futile attempt.

Can't get that font duplicated anywhere. If EPS can't do it, I'm not sure anyone can. Even pro league authentics (M&N spinoff also located in phila) has the slightly wrong font on theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, next up, what do you think the most difficult jersey is to find? I put the late 80s early 90s irish rainbow Bucks as one. The 90s Dodgers road jersey, Seattle Supersonics 90s jersey. Any others?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I'd change your definition of Authentic a bit, since few jerseys marketed as "authentic" are game ready. For example, the when the NBA changed to the new materials, much was made that the "authentics" don't have the same number material as the gamers (I think they have a level above "authentic" if you want that detail.)

Also, for NFL, "Authentics" are made by Nike and are all one cut, while the gamers are made by Ripon or someone else and then have the Nike logo applied (at least this used to be true for Reebok, and is still true for some teams, not sure about the whole league.) Actually, are Nike "authentics" for the Packers and Eagles really true to the old materials? I'm not sure.

Baseball authentics are probably pretty close - at least I've never heard anyyone on here point out significant differences.

Hockey also appears to be pretty close if not spot on, but I'm sure many on here know more than me about that.

"Authentic" is basically just the highest level of replica available.

You can't buy true authentic NHL jerseys anymore. They only sell "retail authentics" that are made in Indonesia and are crap. The teams get ones that are made in Canada and are of higher quality. Sometimes you can buy these directly from the teams but that's it.

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'd change your definition of Authentic a bit, since few jerseys marketed as "authentic" are game ready. For example, the when the NBA changed to the new materials, much was made that the "authentics" don't have the same number material as the gamers (I think they have a level above "authentic" if you want that detail.)

Also, for NFL, "Authentics" are made by Nike and are all one cut, while the gamers are made by Ripon or someone else and then have the Nike logo applied (at least this used to be true for Reebok, and is still true for some teams, not sure about the whole league.) Actually, are Nike "authentics" for the Packers and Eagles really true to the old materials? I'm not sure.

Baseball authentics are probably pretty close - at least I've never heard anyyone on here point out significant differences.

Hockey also appears to be pretty close if not spot on, but I'm sure many on here know more than me about that.

"Authentic" is basically just the highest level of replica available.

You can't buy true authentic NHL jerseys anymore. They only sell "retail authentics" that are made in Indonesia and are crap. The teams get ones that are made in Canada and are of higher quality. Sometimes you can buy these directly from the teams but that's it.

They're not available at the NHL Store in NYC anymore?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

• 1 month later...

I posted a new article in Bacon Sports about "Jersey Rules" i.e. 10 things you should not do with your jersey:

http://www.baconsports.com/10-rules-wearing-jersey/

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

By the way, I'm open to suggestions regarding jersey topics to tackle.

spacer.png

I posted a new article in Bacon Sports about "Jersey Rules" i.e. 10 things you should not do with your jersey:

Great list. I may be in violation of a couple on the list though. I really like the one where the jersey that is being worn is not one of the teams playing in the game. That is my ultimate jersey pet peeve.

Great list. I may be in violation of a couple on the list though. I really like the one where the jersey that is being worn is not one of the teams playing in the game. That is my ultimate jersey pet peeve.

I see it all the time. It kills me. I have all star game jerseys to wear for those situations. Then nobody can tell!

spacer.png

Yeah I guess I was wrong about the As, though that doesn't mean I'm not going to be up for hours trying to find even one pic that proves I'm not crazy. May be a futile attempt.

Can't get that font duplicated anywhere. If EPS can't do it, I'm not sure anyone can. Even pro league authentics (M&N spinoff also located in phila) has the slightly wrong font on theirs.

Find one with the correct font, a replica or a authentic. Then PM me. I may have a solution for you (I may know who you can take it to).

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

The Golic and Harmon pics above are the best I can find. It's a slightly narrower version of standard block, with more "blocky" corners (for lack of a better term.)

I'll got to Mitchel and Ness or Pro League today or tomorrow and see if they have any accurate ones, though they tend to mess this up too.

Another odd thing about those Eagles uniforms is that for most of the players (up until '93 or so) the nameplate was mesh and actually overlapped the yoke seam, as opposed to the normal nameplates which fit nicely above it. No idea why they did this.

The Golic and Harmon pics above are the best I can find. It's a slightly narrower version of standard block, with more "blocky" corners (for lack of a better term.)

I'll got to Mitchel and Ness or Pro League today or tomorrow and see if they have any accurate ones, though they tend to mess this up too.

Another odd thing about those Eagles uniforms is that for most of the players (up until '93 or so) the nameplate was mesh and actually overlapped the yoke seam, as opposed to the normal nameplates which fit nicely above it. No idea why they did this.

Thanks. The fake jersey vs. real article was posted awhile ago, though. I'm just keeping this thread alive as I post new jersey-related articles. Figured it was easier than starting a new thread every time & cluttering up the forum.

Mitchell and Ness is far from perfect. They make a lot of mistakes, but they're usually not major mistakes. Still, you'd think they'd get some of the details they miss.

I always thought that nameplate thing was weird, too.

spacer.png

Archived