National Water Polo Association (concept league, Toronto update, Miami added)

BigRed618

kq07.png

...or "Noopa" for short. Water polo is a team-based aquatic sport that is very similar to land-based games like rugby and basketball. Originating in late 19th century Britain, it is considered a showcase of strength and skill in the water. It seems to be most popular in southeastern Europe, where they have the lion's share of Olympic gold. It is also popular in the US, but mainly on the collegiate level. The NWPA was formed in 20XX so that college talent can have a place at home to play professionally.

The league will start with 12 teams divided into two conferences...

WESTERN CONFERENCE
Los Angeles Surf
Seattle Kings
Vancouver Seven
Chicago Aquatics
St. Louis Archers

Oakland Invaders

EASTERN CONFERENCE
New York Eagles
Toronto Shamrocks
Boston Pilgrims
Miami Giants
Tampa Bay Mermen

Houston Thunder

...and here's two concepts right off the bat!

NEW YORK EAGLES
57fs.png

Nothing special here. This is just to give you an idea of what a water polo uniform, what there is of one, could look like. The swimsuit will be submerged most of the time, so most of the focus is on the cap. It tells you what team the player is on, and what his number is.

BOSTON PILGRIMS
8cwp.png

And here's Boston, the Eagles' biggest rival. A little more colorful than New York, but I still tried to maintain a traditional flavor.

So what do you think? Should I continue?

I've always wanted to do a made up water polo league! Great idea! I coach and play water polo in Chicago.

I really think that California could honestly be its own conference. California could easily have 5 teams with how popular it is out there. I don't know how big water polo is in Vancouver, Boston, or Carolina. Texas, Michigan/Ohio/Pennsylvania, or another team in Florida would be better markets for teams.

TAMPA BAY MERMEN
aebm.png
Following the advice of amfleisch, I decided to make some changes to my league so there will be teams where the sport is most popular. I'll have an updated lineup soon, but for starters, I moved my Carolina team to Tampa. Suprisingly, I didn't really have to change anything.

It's really quite funny that you're making uniforms for a league with probably the least amount of uniform of any sport. I do love seeing concepts beyond the usual suspect sports though, so I say keep going.

I agree with you on that. I'd also like to see someone tackle other sports like team handball, cricket and lacrosse.

• 1 month later...

It's really quite funny that you're making uniforms for a league with probably the least amount of uniform of any sport. I do love seeing concepts beyond the usual suspect sports though, so I say keep going.

I agree with you on that. I'd also like to see someone tackle other sports like team handball, cricket and lacrosse.

Yay cricket! I'm a cricket fan.

those suck

Then don't look at them if you don't like them.

these are all really cool and creative, and i really love the league logo. my only complaints are the template but like cdgates said: "God knows where you got a water polo template" and i think you should invert the boston logo colors

• 3 months later...

I'm going to try to revive this after ignoring it for so long. Here's a new team...

CHICAGO AQUATICS

chi_Aquas.png

Also known as the Aquas, Chicago is, stangely enough, the only red/white/blue team in the league, at least for right now. Their primary logo is based on the city's Municipal Device, an important symbol, but not nearly as popular as the six-pointed star you see on their flag. They also wear different shades of blue between their home and road uniforms. I thought NWPA could use a team with a strange uniform quirk like that, almost like how the NFL's Cowboys use different shades of silver for their helmet and pants.

• 3 weeks later...

I updated my team list for NWPA, acknowledging the Mermen's move to Tampa, and also two new expansion teams and a name change for one team. Check it out!

TORONTO SHAMROCKS

tor_Shamrocks.png

Oddly enough, I went with an Irish theme for NWPA's first Canadian team, but it has been done before with the NHL's Toronto St. Pats long ago, so I figured that strong heritiage of the Emerald Isle was still relevant today. I tried not to be to cliched with the logo, coming up with my own shape for the shamrock, and including a nice, modern looking TS monogram. Let me know what you think.

Archived