(In)Famous Games You've Attended

AHcreative

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-1st NHL shootout (Ottawa @ Toronto)

-2008 Memorial Cup (Most notably the final game in which Spokane had their mishap with the cup)

-Game 7 of the OHL Western Conference Final (Kitchener @ Windsor- Windsor comes back from a 3-0 series deficit- still haunts me)

I've probably attended a few more OHL related ones, I just can't think of them at the moment.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

Lots come to mind, but the most unique was probably this game (Grizzlies vs. Clippers):

4271723624_be7c727b5f_o.jpg

A water main broke and apparently that sets off the fire alarm. The arena took over at this point and put this message on the scoreboard automatically. After a short evacuation, we were allowed back in and the few people that stayed saw a huge Grizzlies comeback against the Clippers (in the 09-10 season as the Grizzlies were traveling between sucky and a playoff team; missed the playoffs that year but have made it three years in a row since).

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

INFAMOUS

• 1993 Michigan at Wisconsin. I was a freshman in what ended up being the first Wisconsin Rose Bowl season in 30 years. After Barry Alvarez's first big win, the student section proceeded to storm the field. Between the immovable rails and the cops rigidly enforcing the rules to keep us off the field, several fans were crushed; the survival of a couple still in question by day's end. Fortunately nobody died. Players that were on their way into the locker room saved lives, pulling young female fans out of the fray. At times it is still unsettling to me. I was a good 50 to 80 rows up and was one of the many "stormers" that had no idea what was going on below. I had a friend who was beside himself because he saw himself on national news climbing atop a group of fans, oblivious to the tragedy. A story about the aftermath of that game. After the school's biggest win in a long time, Madison was bizarrely somber that night.

CHAMPIONSHIP CLINCHES

• 1999 (Big Ten Football): Wisconsin beat Iowa to finish at 7-1 and win the conference title outright. Ron Dayne also broke Ricky Williams's all-time D-IA rushing record. In a strange way, the above game vs. Michigan enhanced this game experience, as Wisconsin coaches and players celebrated the championship on the field, unveiled Dayne's name on the facing of the upper deck, and accepted the Big Ten championship trophy and Rose Bowl Invite, unlike...
  • ...When I was at the clinching of the Big Ten co-championship in 2010. By then the 1993 incident had been forgotten by most and despite the announcement that there would be a celebration of the achievement on the field, the fans stormed and no such ceremonials were held. I was disappointed.
  • 2010 NCAA Hockey. It was down the road in St. Paul, so my wife and I went. Minnesota Duluth won it's first national title in a very fun game that went to OT.
  • 2009 Game 163, Twins over Tigers to clinch the AL Central. Twins won in 12 innings and every pitch from about the 7th inning on was nerve-wracking.

MILESTONES

• Last Twins game at the Dome (playoff loss to the Yankees, 2009)
  • First postseason game at Target Field (loss to, who else, the Yankees)
  • First Minnesota Timberwolves regular season game (vs. the Bulls at the Metrodome from WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY up in the nosebleeds)
  • Last Wisconsin basketball game at the UW Fieldhouse
  • First Wisconsin basketball game at the Kohl Center
  • First game at TCF Bank Stadium (Minnesota Football vs. Air Force)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I've been to many sporting events in my life, but I think the only one of any real consequence was the 1991 NASCAR "Bud at the Glen." Alka Seltzer driver OJ McDuffie died during the race.

I was just a kid, and I couldn't see :censored: during the race (why anyone goes to a road NASCAR course, I don't know), but one of the competitors dying during the event seems like a pretty big deal.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 1970 - Saints 19, Lions 17 - Tom Dempsey kicks 63-yard FG with :02 left
  • 1971 - Archie Manning's first game as a Saint (weird to think his kids are long-time vets now)
  • 1972 - Super Bowl VI - Landry's Cowboys finally win a title
  • 1975 - First game in the Superdome (Saints-Oilers)
  • 1976 Pro Bowl - Ray Guy of the Raiders hit the hanging replay screens in the Superdome with a punt (only "do-over" I've ever seen in an NFL game)
  • 2000 - Saints' first playoff victory ("There is a God after all!")
  • 2004 - What turned out to be the last game in the Superdome for a very long time (Saints beat Falcons)
  • 2006 - First game back in the Superdome (Gleason's punt block, Saints beat Falcons)

And of course this list would not be complete without the "coulda woulda shoulda" of May 18, 2004. I worked at Delta and occasionally people would offer free sports tickets. I was offered two for the Braves game that night but had a date. She wouldn't have minded going to the game but I didn't really feel like it. Yeah, didn't miss much. :(

rjperfect.0_standard_352.0.jpg

homer-doh.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

BC @ Virginia Tech 2007. Cold as crap, raining hard. Tech was up 10-0 with 2 minutes left, BC comes back and scores 14 points to win. Marvelous.

Here's one I've been to that would be infamous to you as a Tech fan: the Cincinnati-VT game at FedEx field last September in which Munchie Legaux heaved a miraculous touchdown pass just seconds before time expired to down the Hokies.

Some more I attended:

-The second half of the 2011 NCAA Tournament Round of 32 game in D.C. in which 9 seed Butler downed 1 seed Pitt 71-70 after an incredibly stupid foul by a Pitt player on Matt Howard as time was expiring that allowed Butler to win in regulation. (Link)

-The Nationals-Cubs game in 2011 in which the Nationals blew an 8-0 lead and lost 10-9. Here's the WPA graph for the game:

20110707_Cubs_Nationals_0_20110707214056

25yzwqg.png

Ah, I hated that game, every time I have gone to FedEx Field it seems my team loses. Tech has lost to Boise and Cincinnati, and in the 3 Skins games I've attended, 2 were loses, one was to Dallas and the only win was against Baltimore last year.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

This was my second ever trip to Lambeau and this play more/less clinched the Packers first playoff berth in 11 or 21 years (depending on whether you count 1982). When they called it a touchdown, the drunks sitting behind us body surfed me to the end of the row... pretty awesome!

I was also at the last ever Packers game at County Stadium which had this wild finish. It's also notable as the game Sterling Sharpe left at halftime with a stinger that would eventually end his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzD1mVYLdA

Been to more games in my life than I can remember, but here are some notable ones:

Notable:

- Jets/Dolphins Monday Night Miracle in 2000. Jets entered the 4th down 30-7, outscored Miami in the 4th 30-7 capped by a TD to a lineman reporting eligible, and then winning in OT 40-37. I left after the 3rd quarter. I was 14, and it was the off day between games 2 & 3 of the Subway World Series, and I was going to game 3 at Shea the next night.

- 2000 NLCS Clincher for the Mets.

- Extra-Inning Walkoff Met HR's in Game 4 of the '99 LDS (won the series) and 13-inning game 4 of the '00 LDS.

- Game 7 2006 NLCS. Beltran caught looking. Oops.

Infamous (having Jets season tickets in the family since 1979 will be the bulk here):

- Iowa 6, Penn State 4. Football. Yes, Really.

- Buttfumble game.

- Dan Marino Fake Spike Game

- This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjj-KPWQZTQ

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

The Infield Fly game:

3eae4cb00f7d11e29a9c22000a1e8b99_7.jpg

(No, I did not participate) More info: http://deadspin.com/5949483/braves-fans-attack-umpires-with-garbage-after-worst-infield-fly-call-ever

-Thrashers "Double switch" game. Leafs killed us 9-3 but during the second period, Thrashers coach Craig Ramsey switched goalies 3 times.

-Last ever Thrashers game: Ended with a beer on the ice.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Archived