(In)Famous Games You've Attended

AHcreative

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Random as heck and hardly famous or infamous but...)

In 2006 or so, I saw the Padres play the Rockies in San Diego. A player on the Rockies (his name is slipping my mind at the moment) hit two triples in one inning.

It's a very rare feat, but I don't think he's the only one in history to do it. I just thought it was one of those random statistical feats that helps make baseball so amazing.

90758391980.gif

January 6, 2002 - Patriots 38 @ Panthers 6. Panthers set the then-NFL record for most consecutive losses (15) in a season. Weather was hovering around freezing and only a few thousand people showed up. (Despite the box score showing attendance of 71,000+, that's a complete lie) We moved into the lower bowl with no objections from anybody. I had a sign that said "Fifteen losses, One win, Xtremely bad" that was shown on TV.

A ton of Winthrop basketball games. Big South Championships in 2005/06/07/10, NCAA Tournaments in Greensboro ('05), Spokane ('06), and Denver ('07). Lost on a buzzer beater to Tennessee in '05, and got our first NCAA tourney win against Notre Dame in '06.

Terrell Owens' last NFL game - Browns @ Bengals, December 19, 2010.

Last game at Charlotte Knights' stadium in Fort Mill, SC, just a few weeks ago.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I was at game six of the 1993 World Series. I don't remember much of the game, but I do remember being there. I haven't been to any infamous games though. Well I guess that one's infamous if you're a Phillies fan :P

-Game 7 of the OHL Western Conference Final (Kitchener @ Windsor- Windsor comes back from a 3-0 series deficit- still haunts me)

dr-who-rain_zpscc0423d4.gif

The 1994 World Cup game between Colombia and the United States. The US wins and Andres Escobar is later executed by some fans for his role in the own goal that helped the U.S. to the win. After the goal happened, I told my friend next to me "I wouldn't go back to Colombia if I was him, they'll probably kill him"...

The first rain delay in Seattle Mariners history at home. Roof got stuck at Safeco...

In 2006 or so, I saw the Padres play the Rockies in San Diego. A player on the Rockies (his name is slipping my mind at the moment) hit two triples in one inning.

It's a very rare feat, but I don't think he's the only one in history to do it. I just thought it was one of those random statistical feats that helps make baseball so amazing.

Baseball's full of these kind of things but I do remember technically seeing a steal of home at a Cubs-Phillies game in 2010. Whoever it was on third broke for home as part of a suicide squeeze and the pitcher threw a wild pitch. The runner scored and since he broke for home, he was awarded a steal of home.

6fQjS3M.png

Baseball's full of these kind of things but I do remember technically seeing a steal of home at a Cubs-Phillies game in 2010. Whoever it was on third broke for home as part of a suicide squeeze and the pitcher threw a wild pitch. The runner scored and since he broke for home, he was awarded a steal of home.

Speaking of stealing home, I was at the Sunday Night Baseball game last season at Nats Park where Bryce Harper stole home after being plunked by Cole Hamels.

90758391980.gif

This is about as infamous as it gets for me, I guess.

derek-jeter-fake-hbp.gif

September 15, 2010. The "HBP" sell job by Jeter and subsequent home run by Curtis Granderson would give the Yankees the lead in the 7th, but Phil Hughes, in his apt fashion, gave it back with a two-out, two-run HR of his own in the bottom half of the inning, the Rays would win, and would re-assume 1st place; they ultimately won the division by a game.

From the angle I was sitting, I couldn't possibly see the legitimacy of this. I almost always sit down the third base line/LF area, so my view was blocked (obviously).

spacer.png

My only visit to Lambeau Field (so far) was for the Vikings-Packers playoff game there in '05. I couldn't have been any more than 20 feet away from Randy Moss when he pretended to moon the crowd. However, I never saw it because everyone in the two rows in front of me had gotten up to leave. I wasn't even aware of it until the next morning when they were talking about it on the radio.

I've also attended several historic NLL games at Xcel Energy Center. The first Swarm game I ever attended, on March 31, 2007, also happened to be the 1,000th regular-season game in league history. I've also witnessed two visiting players break single-season scoring records: Athan Iannucci (goals) in 2008, and John Grant, Jr. (points) in 2012. Also in 2012 I was at what turned out to be the second-longest game in league history, and the longest that didn't require a second OT. (Yes, the Swarm won it.)

On the more dubious side of NLL history, for four straight seasons, including my first three as a season-ticket holder, the Swarm home finale was "cursed" - the visiting team ended up either moving or folding during the ensuing offseason. So, I got to attend the final regular-season game of both the New York and Orlando incarnations of the Titans franchise (in '09 and '10, respectively), as well as the final road game of the Chicago Shamrox in '08. (The Arizona Sting got the "curse" started in '07, but I wasn't at that game.)

CCSLC signature.png

I was at game six of the 1993 World Series. I don't remember much of the game, but I do remember being there. I haven't been to any infamous games though. Well I guess that one's infamous if you're a Phillies fan :P

-Game 7 of the OHL Western Conference Final (Kitchener @ Windsor- Windsor comes back from a 3-0 series deficit- still haunts me)

It's (in)famous. You're good with infamous or famous games.

Which reminds me, I was at a Jays game back in May when Anthony Gose stole home. Edwin Encarnacion also hit a grand slam that game. It was probably the most exciting game I've ever been to.

1997: Cool for me as it's just a pre-season game. But it was my first visit to Lambeau Field. What made it cool was that it was the Packers first home game as reigning Super Bowl Champions. Pretty awesome electricity in the stadium. And when they got introduced as that, the whole place erupted. Whole experience gave me goosebumps. This in 90+ degree weather at the not so yet Frozen Tundra. And many more awesome memories for me at that game.

2008: Game 162 for the Brewers vs. the hated Cubs, Postseason on the line. The electricity in the building, the feeling of anxiety of every pitch, knowing that 2 things had to happen for us to get there. The first was obviously a win, but the other, a Mets loss. CC being a horse yet again putting the team on his back, being down 1-0 for most of the game, tying it up, #8's Go ahead homer, the tense top of the Ninth ending one a beautifully turned Double Play. Then the most nerve wracking part of it, waiting on the Mets game to end, needless to say the entire crowd that was left over, namely Brewers fans, as thankfully most of the Cubs fans left at the end of the game, became huge Marlins fans at that moment. The MLB allowing Miller Park to put the game on the then Jumbotron. Waiting for that game to be over. The Mets were down by 2 in the bottom of the Ninth with two outs and a runner on, can't remember the base, Mets needed a homer just to tie the game. Here we are all back to nail biting on every pitch. I can't remember who was batting, but he hit a deep fly to right field, looked gone, but just reached the warning track Cody Ross hauls it in. And the place erupts. I'm hugging and high fiving my cousins, random strangers, Brewers fans. Pyro going off and streamers falling from the roof, screaming so loud I lost my voice for a few minutes. Tears welling up in my eyes, Brewers Nation had reason to rejoice again after the long drought had come to an end and were Playoff bound for the first time in 26 years. After everything had settled, I found a quiet corner in the stadium, called my dad, and in between tears, could just say "We did it, we finally did it, we're going to the Postseason." And then my family, friends, and I partied into the wee hours of the night!

And both will hold dear to me as I got to some way experience them with my dad, who just passed away.

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived