brilliant use of negative space

Ferdinand Cesarano

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The negative space is the shape of Australia.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

^wow.....took me 3 seconds to see that. Very clever.

Does look like the tiger and the gorilla are staring each other down before a brutal fight ensues tho...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I don't know if this is brilliant, but I did create it for my wife's photography business...

Maybe not "brilliant" but still very well done. Nice work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I just now noticed the H in the Whalers logo. Wow. I feel dumb now

They had an AHL team in Binghamton.

pk-binghamton1.JPG

The negative space in that version of the logo doesn't really mean anything though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There are many great logos that use negative space. (A side note: my avatar, which is a logo that I designed more than 30 years ago for my softball team called the New York Diamonds, makes some use of negative space.)

I love seeing all the gorgeous examples. But note that most of them are elaborately designed in order to achieve the desired effect. The cool thing about the Masters of Sex logo is that it creates the negative-space picture by using only relative unaltered standard letters. It has this trait in common with the FedEx logo; but the image in the negative space in the Masters of Sex logo is more complex than the negative-space arrow found in the FedEx logo.

It was this contrast (the simplicity of the letters vs. the complexity of the negative-space image) that I found so brilliant.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Agreed. It's worth noting that the Masters of Sex logo you posted isn't always used. There's another version without the hidden image, probably because it's such an effective use of that negative space.

subway1.jpg

FWIW, this is the version that I've seen on the subway, but the negative-space one appears on buses. Go figure.

Archived