Raptors : Bound For Change? Yep!

Generic

So I know for the past while a lot of discussions have been taking place about the Raptors and their branding. More specifically how dramatic of a change this might be. While watching TV I noticed when doing an interview the head of MLSE had mentioned how the Raptors will not only rebrand but consider a name change (though not necessarily as he added shortly after). It also seems there's an urgency as he mentioned the deadline and wanting to meet it and also discussions between them and the NBA.

So to boil this down,..

What does this mean for the Raptors? Total redo of the Raptors brand? Huskies or a new name?

EDITS:

Video : http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/1010873/clip/0

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now HERE's a dilemma...

On one hand, we all agree the current logo and branding is VASTLY outdated, as the dinosaur fad has faded and we all know A T-REX IS NOT A VELOCIRAPTOR!

But on the other hand, "Huskies" doesn't sound as unique, and would also look too close to the Timberwolves identity...

Is there another name there seems to be a strong affinity for?

bYhYmxh.png

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that the Raptors name is dated. No, Jurassic Park isn't as popular as it once was but that doesn't mean a raptor nickname is dated. I for one find it to be unique and am now use to associating it with the NBA in Toronto most notably the Vince Carter and Tracy McGrady era. Huskies is a dumb name that 5 million high school and grade school teams from here to Alaska have. Don't bring that back.

Add a little purple to the jerseys where you have half new (red black) and half old (purple black) in a similar fashion to the way the Chargers have done with their two sets. And then call it a day.

Artist rendering of what a raptor may have looked like. The team's logo reflects it with the three fingers, the three toes (with one that sticks up). The head and tail look pretty accurate for a cartoon

velociraptor_wildsafari.jpg

Problem with this is that it's likely no such dinosaur ever existed. This is what scientists now believe velociraptors looked like:

Velociraptor_dinoguy2.jpg

The team has a great solution right in front if them: the ball-claw. They can build an updated brand identity around that--who says they HAVE to use a full animal logo? You see the ball, you see the claws...you know what team its for. They can even try to fashion/shoehorn it into a maple leaf shape if they so wish (someone around here mocked a concept of that a while ago--looked pretty slick). And for my money, add purple back into the mix--no other team can claim that combo.

The problem is they're gonna overthink the hell out of this, and it wouldn't surprise me nann little bit if they end up with something that in two years' time will most likely have folks pining for a return to their "glory days"--in other words, their current look, plus the purple.

(And no, the name "Raptors" isn't dated.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Artist rendering of what a raptor may have looked like. The team's logo reflects it with the three fingers, the three toes (with one that sticks up). The head and tail look pretty accurate for a cartoon

velociraptor_wildsafari.jpg

Problem with this is that it's likely no such dinosaur ever existed. This is what scientists now believe velociraptors looked like:

Velociraptor_dinoguy2.jpg

But we will never know for sure. So their usage of the logo based on the dinosaur is totally fine with me. I mean, how accurate can you be with a creature that nobody truly knows about?

Go A's!

It seems quite raptor-ish to me. If it were a t-rex its hands would likely be where its elbows currently are. Though I guess the head could look like a T-rex's

Yep, T-Rexes wouldn't be able to dribble a basketball (while raptors could? :P )

EDIT : At the top I added the source for where I heard the discussion for those interested.

See I personally love the current logo, it's not poorly illustrated like how people almost sound it off to be. I understand the idea of the team name is dated but the name isn't necessarily.

The team has a great solution right in front if them: the ball-claw. They can build an updated brand identity around that--who says they HAVE to use a full animal logo? You see the ball, you see the claws...you know what team its for. They can even try to fashion/shoehorn it into a maple leaf shape if they so wish (someone around here mocked a concept of that a while ago--looked pretty slick). And for my money, add purple back into the mix--no other team can claim that combo.

The problem is they're gonna overthink the hell out of this, and it wouldn't surprise me nann little bit if they end up with something that in two years' time will most likely have folks pining for a return to their "glory days"--in other words, their current look, plus the purple.

(And no, the name "Raptors" isn't dated.)

I might be the only one who actually doesn't like that logo as it is. I mean conceptually the logo fits the team but it's very weak looking honestly. I especially hate the one they use currently that is in the circle.

Aside from all this, in the video posted above the guy refers to the Canada wide appeal so I almost want to say the team will take on an even more 'Canadian' look and I definitely am not a fan of that. As for myself, I think a purple, red and a lighter black (charcoal?) would look great for the team again. However I also think if they did take on the Huskies name or another name that matching the Toronto blue and white theme would be great.

Of course though with a name change, there's no pretending they were never the Raptors but I don't think that'd be the case in this scenario thankfully.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

You know, I think the Raptors had an awesome look when they first came into the league, and even the purple front/black back jerseys were ok.

The current uniforms are so generic and boring. As if we don't have enough teams that use red a a primary.

I loved the purple and I hope they bring it back. I know the team has no real deep winning history either, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if they change the nickname to try and appeal to a more national audience but I don't know why they need to. Just leave it alone. I like the name and if they just bring some purple back everything will be fine again.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Archived