Raptors : Bound For Change? Yep!

Generic

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Raptors are going to change, I hope it's for the better. Maybe a throwback to the inaugural set with a few tweaks ala Denver Nuggets? If they do change, I hope that's the case.

image020.jpg

I want to see this set in red and/or black in the style of Miami's "Back In Black" set where it's all done in black and white.

I loved the purple and I hope they bring it back. I know the team has no real deep winning history either, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if they change the nickname to try and appeal to a more national audience but I don't know why they need to. Just leave it alone. I like the name and if they just bring some purple back everything will be fine again.

But my question is, what is national appeal here? Is it to put more maple leaves on the uniforms? More Canadian colours? A Canadian like name change?

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

I loved the purple and I hope they bring it back. I know the team has no real deep winning history either, so it wouldn't be the end of the world if they change the nickname to try and appeal to a more national audience but I don't know why they need to. Just leave it alone. I like the name and if they just bring some purple back everything will be fine again.

But my question is, what is national appeal here? Is it to put more maple leaves on the uniforms? More Canadian colours? A Canadian like name change?

To answer your question: nothing particularly national about it. I don't think that the team needs to go with a national appeal though (which I guess I should have said).

Would the suggestion of moving tot he name huskies have national appeal either? I don't think so.

I think, unless they name themselves something typically Canadian and wear only red and white, the whole thing is a waste (and on a personal level the whole thing is a waste either way, you are the Raptors, stay the Raptors.).

I just don't like the whole idea.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

If the Raptors are going to change, I hope it's for the better. Maybe a throwback to the inaugural set with a few tweaks ala Denver Nuggets? If they do change, I hope that's the case.

image020.jpg

I want to see this set in red and/or black in the style of Miami's "Back In Black" set where it's all done in black and white.

There is no way in hell that is ever coming back.

My preference is just to go with Huskies, solidifying Toronto as a blue and white sports city the way Pittsburgh is a black and yellow city.

Toronto-Huskies_full_diapos_large.jpg

mb_20090422_30036b1.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Toronto FC needs to at least make the playoffs once before their existence is acknowledged.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Utah Raptors --> New Orleans Jazz --> Charlotte Hornets --> Toronto Bobcats --> Orlando Rockets --> Houston Heat --> Miami Timberw...{is flogged to death with a bag of hammers}

and deservedly so.

The NBA is definitely doing what it can to be the hardest to follow franchise lineage.

I don't love the Raptors name, but it does not need to be dumped. It's unique and not silly (e.g. Wild). Good enough combo. I think the thing that really drags it down is that it is perceived (accurately, I suspect) as created in response to the popularity of Jurasic Park...but that is being slowly forgotten over time.

If I were king, a franchise would never change its name when it is not even moving to a different city. Yeah, the Bobcats and Raptors don't have Laker-like histories, but taking that history and sort of burying it almost gives the effect of those franchises having no history. How strongly do I feel about this? I don't even want the Wild to change its name!

Team names should be selected carefully because they should last for a very, very long time.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Huskies is too generic..any modern version of the above Jerseys would make Brooklyn Nets jerseys look innovative flamboyant. Keep Raptors..embrace your team name but clean up the team and your good.

You never hear good teams changing names..if Toronto was plus 500% team this would be a different thread

shado_logo.gif

They should have never ditched the purple. I like the current uniform stile for the Raptors but they were soo much better with the old colours. Especially the purple one with the black back is one of my all time NBA favourites. So I really hope they just bring back their old colour scheme and release some nice jerseys.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Toronto FC needs to at least make the playoffs once before their existence is acknowledged.

As an extremely frustrated ticket holder since season 2 I will say I understand this comment but you have to think back to the first 5 seasons when we (and when I say we I mean the supporters, not the club) were known for being some of the best in terms of support. Since then Seattle and Portland kind of have taken it to the next level but you can't just discredit the club altogether because ownership has no clue what they are doing.

That said, the point stands...along with the Rush (if you count them) Toronto teams do not wear all blue and white. The rock do wear those colors with a lot of red as well too.

Shadojoker makes the point best.

If this team wasn't a constant looser then this conversation wouldn't even be happening.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

image020.jpg

The worst things about that set, IMHO, are the jagged pinstripes. I get it: they were going with a prehistoric theme. Still, the cartoony dinosaur is plenty silly enough; the Cary Granite-esque pinstripes take it over the top for me.

image020.jpg

The worst things about that set, IMHO, are the jagged pinstripes. I get it: they were going with a prehistoric theme. Still, the cartoony dinosaur is plenty silly enough; the Cary Granite-esque pinstripes take it over the top for me.

I think they could still use something similar to that wordmark...just use the wordmark on the jersey with some solid pinstripes and you could have something decent.

image020.jpg

This jersey set was a perfect example of how using unique new elements is good...but you have to use them well. You can use a front logo, pinstripes, unique color scheme, unique font, colored nameplate (and whatever those triangles were), but you can't use them all at once.

I still have a soft spot for 90's NBA aesthetics, though. :P I always wished Toronto would've keep that font and done something similar to the KG-era T-Wolves (simple jerseys, unique font).

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

You know, I think the Raptors had an awesome look when they first came into the league, and even the purple front/black back jerseys were ok.

The current uniforms are so generic and boring. As if we don't have enough teams that use red a a primary.

Changing the name is not going to make the team any more appealing to the rest of Canada than it is now. Winning, but more likely, having another Vince Carter which would make fans who love basketball want to watch the team. When the Phoenix Suns were kicking ass with Steve Nash, I cared more about them than I did the Raptors, probably the same with all of BC.

The name doesn't need to be changed. It's been too long and there really is no need. I like the current colours but bringing back the purple ain't a bad idea either. What they probably should do is finally just get it over with and kill the primary logo, if it still is that, and just make the claw logo the official primary.

I'm honestly for taking the look back to something similar to the 90's Raptors. I think putting a more serious or cleaner twist on the Raptors brand would make them even more bland. But there's fun elements from the 90's uniforms that could be undated I'm sure and could really put a nice twist on things.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Archived