Raptors : Bound For Change? Yep!

Generic

^^ I'm 100% on board with a return to purple and red. it's a totally unique scheme in american pro sports and could really pop if done well.

Since the modern raptor is a bird of prey, why not just ditch the dinosaur for a new mascot... say, a northern hawk-owl? I don't know how we don't already have a major North American pro team based on an owl, but I think it fits for Toronto.

fwiw, drake (one of the biggest stars in hip-hop and, as he's constantly reminding the world, a toronto native) uses an owl for his record label's logo. i'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus in the raptors adopting it.

drake-2013-ovo-fest-flyer.jpg

drake-moto-power-106-ovo-new-song.png

Drake-With-Owl.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The team has a great solution right in front if them: the ball-claw. They can build an updated brand identity around that--who says they HAVE to use a full animal logo?

I agree with this sentiment. The cartoon dinosaur seems silly and dated, but the ball claw seems classy. Leave the dinosaur for a mascot and make the logos and uniforms less cartoonish. In the same way, "Raptors" seems more versatile with multiple meanings than "Velociraptors" would.

It's funny that the Raptors cartoon logo feels dated, yet many of us clamor for the return of the cartoon Milaukee Buck, the swinging friar Padre, and so forth.

^^ I'm 100% on board with a return to purple and red. it's a totally unique scheme in american pro sports and could really pop if done well.

Since the modern raptor is a bird of prey, why not just ditch the dinosaur for a new mascot... say, a northern hawk-owl? I don't know how we don't already have a major North American pro team based on an owl, but I think it fits for Toronto.

fwiw, drake (one of the biggest stars in hip-hop and, as he's constantly reminding the world, a toronto native) uses an owl for his record label's logo. i'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus in the raptors adopting it.

Drake is a hip hop artist? :P

Seriously though... I've been seeing that shirt around campus and had no idea it was Drake's logo. Despite my servere distaste of Drake's music, this actually makes me want an owl based identity for the Raptors even more, as it wouldn't be the first time they branded themselves for pop culture phenomena. Only this time, it wouldn't have to look dated after a handful of years.

35jwax4.jpg

3310lcp.jpg

I could get on board with these if the pinstripes extended onto the shorts.

Drake is a hip hop artist? :P

Seriously though... I've been seeing that shirt around campus and had no idea it was Drake's logo. Despite my servere distaste of Drake's music, this actually makes me want an owl based identity for the Raptors even more, as it wouldn't be the first time they branded themselves for pop culture phenomena. Only this time, it wouldn't have to look dated after a handful of years.

Honestly I'd rather the Raptors not go with a bird of prey theme, even one as unique as an owl. Yes, the word "raptor" does mean bird of prey. That's not the most well-known definition, however. When most people hear "raptor" they think of dinosaurs. Keeping the name "Raptors" but going with an owl, eagle, or vulture is over-thinking the issue. If they're going to keep the "Raptors" name then they should, in my opinion, stick with the dinosaur imagery. If they want to drop the dinosaur imagery then I'd prefer it if they just dropped the name too and committed to a full-on rebrand.

I'm honestly for taking the look back to something similar to the 90's Raptors. I think putting a more serious or cleaner twist on the Raptors brand would make them even more bland. But there's fun elements from the 90's uniforms that could be undated I'm sure and could really put a nice twist on things.

I would love to see the combo of the stripes from the 90's jerseys, with the VC era, red-purple combo. One thing about the 90's jerseys was the stripes for the Raptors. I really think with a possible new logo and hopefully a new jersey design, this would bring back the savior for the raptors ( in other words just a new identity). Either way with that combo I'd be happy to see.

4kv29i.jpg

Keeping the nickname but changing what it refers to is pretty lame. Going from "Raptors As In Dinosaurs" to "Raptors As In Birds" would improve the identity, yes, but at the expense of the "structural integrity," so to speak. It was the same deal with "Rays That Live In The Ocean" to "Rays Of Sunshine." What's next? the Buffalo Bills claim that their name signifies a request for payment?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

drake-2013-ovo-fest-flyer.jpg

Drake-With-Owl.jpg

Speak of the devil:

In what will start out looking like a publicity stunt and may end up changing the face of a franchise, the Toronto Raptors are about to begin a major partnership with the city’s most globally recognizable citizen.

On Monday, MLSE will announce the first of several initiatives with hip-hop impresario Drake, which will see him acting as a host, business partner and consultant for the team.

In a league driven by shiny-object syndrome, the Toronto-born musician has always had an earthy feel to his fandom.

Three years ago, just as it was about to get really bad, he laid out his bona fides.

“I am a Raptors fan to the death,” Drake told ESPN.

How grim was it back then? Whoever transcribed the ESPN interview included the 26-year-old global brand-factory “sighing” as he said it.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2013/09/29/raptors_drake_team_up_for_rebranding_kelly.html

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

554157_10151931981302037_367877135_n.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Drake isn't completely awful and unbearable

Please explain...

"Headlines" is a good pop song. Don't pretend it isn't. Also, I think it's great that Drake is trying to be introspective instead of just screaming about owning one-tenth of one percent of something like Jay-Z does, which, ironically, is artistically bankrupt.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived