Sign in to follow this  
Atom

MLS logo redesign

Current MLS logo

Major_League_Soccer_MLS_Logo-300x261.gif

My designs

yg7Mq0J.png

I took the hexagon shape that is present in the current logo's ball (the white panels) and use that as the basis of the logo. My aim in using the hexagon was to use a shape that harkens to MLS's short past but is a simple and modern shape at the same time.

The current logo has MLS and Major League Soccer written which is redundant, so I took out Major League Soccer and simply used MLS.

I used the same colors because theyre are fairly unique in the sporting world and especially in the North American sporting landscape.

The star represents USA and the Maple leaf represents Canada and 1996 is the first year the league played games.

MLS Golazo is the name of a match center on mlssoccer.com and MLS Live is a website where they stream games.

Here is a fancy render

UXla3Bd.jpg

I kind of feel like it is more hip than good but I also like it, thoughts?

I typically love simplicity, but I think this may be a tad too simple for my tastes. It just comes off as bland to me.

2 things are driving me crazy about this:

1. Kerning. The 'S' is too far from the 'ML'

2. None of the inner parts look centered inside the polygon.

If Im unfamiliar with the league I wouldnt know it is associated with a soccer league or soccer in general looking at this logo

Its not distinctive enough

Also this ^

It's a good logo, but it's not the logo of an athletic league. Seems more of a tech logo.

Fix the kerning problem, and make sure everything's centred. That's a start.

Maybe use a different maple leaf, something simpler to match the star.

Overall it's not bad though. It's in a similar vein to the NHL logo, which has nothing distinguishing it as hockey. Here at least you have the recognizable hexagon.

Imgur keeps making the background teal for some reason but is the kerning any better here?

vqHYTmw.jpg

This comes across as bland rather than simple. Not dynamic enough for a professional sports league. It screams real estate to me...

I know its simple but real estate? Damn man thats cold.

I think you'd go miles if you added a soccer ball peaking through the bottom of it. Just so people understand it's a soccer league logo.

What do you mean by this?

I like it, but I feel like it is way to simple as stated above. The new logo needs a complete re-make, looks like a youth league logo used for the rec soccer teams down here. Maybe if you added something to make it more 'soccer' orientated.

Imgur keeps making the background teal for some reason but is the kerning any better here?

vqHYTmw.jpg

This comes across as bland rather than simple. Not dynamic enough for a professional sports league. It screams real estate to me...

I know its simple but real estate? Damn man thats cold.

Multiple Listing Service, it is a standard for listing real estate. theMLSonline.com. No need to get offended.

The text isn't centered in your polygon.. It looks weird

I think you have a great start here. But I agree with everyone else. Some kerning issues, aligned text, and it doesn't really give any hint that it's a soccer league.

If you were willing to rework the shape of the logo, I'd suggest changing it to a pentagon. When observing a soccer ball it is the focal point of the pattern, and in having a flat bottom you'd have a foundation for your logo to "stand" on, and much less negative space to work around.

Just an idea

If you were willing to rework the shape of the logo, I'd suggest changing it to a pentagon. When observing a soccer ball it is the focal point of the pattern, and in having a flat bottom you'd have a foundation for your logo to "stand" on, and much less negative space to work around.

Just an idea

Part of the reason I used a hexagon vs pentagon is that a hexagon can make a pattern better than a pentagon imo.

Part of the reason I used a hexagon vs pentagon is that a hexagon can make a pattern better than a pentagon imo.

Not sure what you mean here.

Not sure what you mean here.

Like a honeycomb pattern