CIS thread

kevsim1

Queens has some of the worst jerseys I've ever seen outside the 1996 NHL Third Jersey Program. Or at least they did when I announced a game against them circa 2010. Really tough to find photos though. It was an original Edge template with blue, gold, red, and I think white...just madness

http://gogaelsgo.com/index.aspx?path=mhockey

There's a logo on the sock...

Believe it or not, those are better than the ones I saw. They were either that 07 all star jersey (that first year they debuted the edge) or the Senators' template. But in four colors. Just awful.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rams_logo.jpg

Ryerson new primary logo.

This weekend in Guelph, the OUA baseball championships are being held. The Western Mustangs, Brock Badgers, Laurier Golden Hawks and the Guelph Gryphons are the 4 teams battling for baseball supremacy. All 4 look decent. I may just be a sucker for Purple, but damn, Laurier and Western just look sexy. rp_primary_IMG_9802.JPGart6881_pic1.jpg

I want one of those Western white caps

Brock is ok.... Banner%20Full.jpg

And Guelph also looks pretty good. image.jpgThey wore that red when I saw 'em earlier this year, but I know they wore their black yesterday against Western.

Western has been eliminated, Brock will face the loser of Guelph-Laurier, the winner goes straight to the final.

Just going back to the discussion about the Queen's Gaels hockey jerseys, I found a little gem when I went looking for for photos of them.

This is a photo of a game between Queen's and Royal Military College last year.

_20130124_RMCvsQueensMensHockey_PeterLee

First of all, that shows Queen's fairly new jerseys. Just a Panthers template in yellow instead of red. Fine.

Check out the player in red for RMC. Not only is he wearing a very sharp jersey, but check his nameplate. The player's name is Eric Louis-Seize. Not only is he wearing a nameplate different than his actual name, but it is the number 16 in Roman numerals, and he's wearing the number 16 on the back.

And, of course, his last name is French for Louis the Sixteenth.

Absolutely flawless.

Just going back to the discussion about the Queen's Gaels hockey jerseys, I found a little gem when I went looking for for photos of them.

This is a photo of a game between Queen's and Royal Military College last year.

_20130124_RMCvsQueensMensHockey_PeterLee

First of all, that shows Queen's fairly new jerseys. Just a Panthers template in yellow instead of red. Fine.

Check out the player in red for RMC. Not only is he wearing a very sharp jersey, but check his nameplate. The player's name is Eric Louis-Seize. Not only is he wearing a nameplate different than his actual name, but it is the number 16 in Roman numerals, and he's wearing the number 16 on the back.

And, of course, his last name is French for Louis the Sixteenth.

Absolutely flawless.

Thta's sweet

Western is a really good looking team. I can't seem to find a picture, but I remember them wearing an off-white jersey against UNB a few years back on one of those nationally televised games on sportsnet 1. Can't seem to find a picture, but I remember that i was instantly in love.

That has been Ryerson's primary logo for a while, it wasn't a recent change.

Yeah, you're right. it's been, what? 2, 3 years?

It has been two I believe. Changed in preparation for the new facility at the old Gardens.

Is the nameplate for all RMC players the roman numerals of their number? I find it hard to believe they would make an exception for one player.

EDIT: It is only for one player...wow

It has been two I believe. Changed in preparation for the new facility at the old Gardens.

I remember that! Them and Loblaws!

I remember that! Them and Loblaws!

The new facility is pretty disappointing. The rink and gym are both nice but the weight room looks like an afterthought. Can't complain about playing a game a week in the MLG, though.

What's CIS hockey like? Mostly major-junior alums cashing in their scholarships, right? Does anyone make it to the pros, or is it basically just a rec league?

If you define rec league by how many players actually make the NHL then I'd think that rec league plus is an apt description, but that is really selling the league short. The style of play is much like NCAA and the level of skill and intensity is pretty high given the impressive pedigree that many players have.

What's CIS hockey like? Mostly major-junior alums cashing in their scholarships, right? Does anyone make it to the pros, or is it basically just a rec league?

Actually CIS does not allow any athletic scholarships, hence why a lot of major-junior players who don't sign the professional contracts (not just NHL either) go the CIS route... the CHL, and more specifically the WHL, does have scholarships for players for after their major junior careers so if they want to pursue an education, they have the funds to do so.

Actually CIS does not allow any athletic scholarships, hence why a lot of major-junior players who don't sign the professional contracts (not just NHL either) go the CIS route... the CHL, and more specifically the WHL, does have scholarships for players for after their major junior careers so if they want to pursue an education, they have the funds to do so.

For every season played in the CHL, the player gets a year of post-secondary scholarship funding. So if a player played 3 seasons in the CHL, they would get 3 years of university/college tuition, books, etc. paid for by the league. The players have 18 months to access this funding after the end of their junior careers, and it gets terminated if a player signs a pro contract.

Yeah, I was talking about the education money major-junior players get after they wrap up. I know you guys don't have the "full rides" for athletics they way we do. It's almost as if your schools are schools. What's wrong with you people???

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For every season played in the CHL, the player gets a year of post-secondary scholarship funding. So if a player played 3 seasons in the CHL, they would get 3 years of university/college tuition, books, etc. paid for by the league. The players have 18 months to access this funding after the end of their junior careers, and it gets terminated if a player signs a pro contract.

Though you do have it right here, i'm pretty sure they are still allowed to try 18 months of pro before their CIS money is gone - which would require signing a contract in some way. It's actually a very good system and really keeps the CHL thriving as a great option for parents. For those fringe players at age 15 and 16 who are CHL draft picks, and are forced to make an NCAA or CHL decision (you can attend 48 hours at a CHL camp before your NCAA eligibility is gone) those parents can rest easy knowing their son will have school payed for if they do go the CHL route. All teams also (in the OHL at least have access to a limited amount of "Gold" education packages - which go to first round picks by default, and then have a few more. Those packages guarantee 4 years of Canadian University education, not just the 1 year junior / 1 year of school system.

I also think the 18 months of pro is a great system when it works this way. The player has a steady 4 year career in the CHL. Never drafted to the NHL, but gets contract offers with AHL, ECHL, Central, etc leagues, and goes to ride the bus for a season. Player realizes the minor league life isn't worth it for 30-50k per year, and is able to make the decision to go back to school with tuition paid for. Lots of players have been doing this recently, especially if you look at a roster like Western's over the years. The one wrench in that plan is that if you signed a pro contract, you must wait a full year before being eligible for CIS hockey - though they can still attend the university and take classes. I THINK I have all that right, not 100 percent on it though.

detlogosbanner.jpg

Archived