The "Genericizing" of NFL Wordmarks

rmackman

It seems every NFL team is making their wordmarks less distinct. They're going more towards a series of block letters with minimal personality. It's kind of getting boring. Thoughts?

EXAMPLES

Miami_Dolphins_third_1997_wordmark.png

Dolphins_textlogo13.png

tumblr_mpdnl7EJaD1rge74zo1_500.jpg

609.gif

logowtype.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Pantherslogo.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simplification is perfectly okay, but when you sacrifice personality and character for trendy, then you're actually hurting your brand IMO.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

That every single one of those changes was a significant upgrade tends to undercut your argument.

I pretty much agree, the wordmarks are fine. The old Panthers wordmark was awful and reeked of the 90's in a bad way.

Well, that's an opinion. You're entitled to it. I actually think it's great when some teams are just "very 70s, 80s, or 90s." I don't feel every team needs to get "up to date."

spacer.png

By streamlining these wordmarks, they allow for more versatility and consistency across more applications. By reducing the detail, it allows for more accurate reproduction through silkscreening and embroidery. They also allow more opportunity to tie in logo details into the wordmark, like the whisker/scratches in the Panthers' mark.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

By streamlining these wordmarks, they allow for more versatility and consistency across more applications. By reducing the detail, it allows for more accurate reproduction through silkscreening and embroidery. They also allow more opportunity to tie in logo details into the wordmark, like the whisker/scratches in the Panthers' mark.

But wouldnt you want a more detailed wordmark to stop other people from trying to reproduce it, like i know one way the tell if a pats jersey is fake is to look at the wordmark beliw the collar and if it looks like :censored: then its fake

The Pats' awfulness is revealed in how they had to warp the primary logo around it.

A modified version of their primary that they never used in any other context. That's just bad design.

i dont consider altering a logo so it flows with the wordmark and looks smoother a bad design, its a unique design element that looks better than the jaguar rip off font

If you look at all these wordmark jackets by Starter, you start to realize the teams that stand out are the teams that don't have basic wordmarks.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=23730446&gclid=CL2g0fau8rkCFXRp7Aod2DkA_g

spacer.png

I'm not a fan of the generic look. These all bothered me when they were released. Not enough character to me.

Houston_Texans_wordmark.png

Atlanta_Falcons_white_wordmark.png

4609.gif

Denver_Broncos_wordmark_(c._1997).png

998.gif

2234.gif

They're pretty much all capital letters, straight across, about the same size....I mean very little differences.

spacer.png

It seems every NFL team is making their wordmarks less distinct. They're going more towards a series of block letters with minimal personality. It's kind of getting boring. Thoughts?

EXAMPLES

Pantherslogo.jpg

I personally don't like this wordmark because, well, it's boring. The one thing that gives it redemption, in a sense, is that it goes against the trend of extra-wide, extra long marks as shown with the Texans, Falcons, Bengals, etc. It is at least distinctive in that regard.

Archived