Premier League to Football Crossover - Queens Park Rangers Added Feb. 28

davidmiller5

WestHamOverview.png

whhomeunicopy.jpg

westhamawayuni.jpg

whhome2unicopy.jpg?t=1384455804whaway2unicopy.jpg?t=1384456444

whaltunicopy.jpg

The first thing to mention about West Ham is their mascot name. Their most common nickname is the Hammers, but I didn't want the West Ham Hammers because the repetition sounds like stuttering. I was originally going to call them the West Ham Irons, but that sounds like they are named after what you use to get wrinkles out of your shirts. West Ham United was originally called Thames Ironworks, so I slightly modified it to Ironworkers.

West Ham has had a claret uniform with blue sleeves and white shorts since 1903 (except for a few years when they dropped the blue sleeves). I felt that I needed to mimic that, but I also designed West Ham while thinking about what I would do with Aston Villa (who also wear claret with blue sleeves and white pants) so I gave them claret pants to wear on the road. I have included monocrome combinations that could be worn infrequently.

This area of London is known for its ironworks and shipbuilding. The soccer team recognizes this in their crest (which I have used for the football team's main logo) so I turned this idea into an alternate jersey. The rivet helmet and jersey was a way to show homage to the people and heritage of West Ham. I really like how the helmet turned out. I had to tone down the texture of the jersey to make it more realistic to something that could be done with fabric.

love the alternate. definitely represents the team.

7wldHiW.png

Chelsea.png

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things again:

1. Ironworkers is a bit too long on the tongue when a word like "Ironmen" would work just as well.

2. The Rivet helmet would looks fine except for the scratches on the texture, but the rivet jersey, especially the numbers, does not work in my opinion.

The first thing to mention about West Ham is their mascot name. Their most common nickname is the Hammers, but I didn't want the West Ham Hammers because the repetition sounds like stuttering. I was originally going to call them the West Ham Irons, but that sounds like they are named after what you use to get wrinkles out of your shirts. West Ham United was originally called Thames Ironworks, so I slightly modified it to Ironworkers.

West Ham has had a claret uniform with blue sleeves and white shorts since 1903 (except for a few years when they dropped the blue sleeves). I felt that I needed to mimic that, but I also designed West Ham while thinking about what I would do with Aston Villa (who also wear claret with blue sleeves and white pants) so I gave them claret pants to wear on the road. I have included monocrome combinations that could be worn infrequently.

This area of London is known for its ironworks and shipbuilding. The soccer team recognizes this in their crest (which I have used for the football team's main logo) so I turned this idea into an alternate jersey. The rivet helmet and jersey was a way to show homage to the people and heritage of West Ham. I really like how the helmet turned out. I had to tone down the texture of the jersey to make it more realistic to something that could be done with fabric.

love the alternate. definitely represents the team.

I like West Ham, especially the alt. But I'd like to see that helmet pattern incorporated more on the jerseys.

Two things again:

1. Ironworkers is a bit too long on the tongue when a word like "Ironmen" would work just as well.

2. The Rivet helmet would looks fine except for the scratches on the texture, but the rivet jersey, especially the numbers, does not work in my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback. First of all, I decided to go with Ironworkers to try to link the team to their original name of Thames Ironworks. Also, when I hear Ironmen I think of triathlons and the plural of a superhero. To me Ironworkers identifies with ship building and iron foundries more than Ironmen does.

As far as the alternate goes, you gave me three different bits of advice. Therefore, I don't really know what I should do. I tried to make the helmets look realistic (not burnished iron but the unpolished iron that they would put over a ship's hull). I actually originally made a shiny diamond-plate helmet but thought that that was more of a representation of the steel industry than the iron industry, so I went with the unpolished, riveted look. I thought that it would be hard to replicate that same intensity of look on fabric so I lightened it up.

All that being said, one commenter thought it was great, one thought there wasn't strong enough texture on the jersey, and another thought it didn't work on the jersey. So I would like some more comments to help me figure out what it should look like.

award%20sig.png

Due to a lack of feedback, I am going to leave West Ham as it is and post my next concept.

newcastleoverview.png

newcastlehomeuni1.jpg

newcastleawayuni.jpg

newcastlealtuni.jpg

Yes, I gave a team vertical stripes. I have never seen a football team do this, and it is quite different. Also, I am assuming that the officiating crew will not be wearing vertical black and white stripes like they do in the U.S. (My wife thought I was designing referee uniforms.) I gave Newcastle the stripes because magpies have black bars on their wings and chest. The biggest issue with the vertical stripes is the numbers, especially with a two-color palette. I gave the numbers an extremely thick outline for this reason (and put TV numbers on the pants), but this is the team that TV and radio announcers would not want to have to call.

The other unique uniform element is the iridescence. The helmet, sleeves, pant sections, and number outlines all are iridescent. They all look black except when the sun shines on the uniform; then they gain a green, blue, and purple sheen. This is inspired by real-life magpies. The helmet and number outline iridescence are more muted than the sleeves and pant sections. I really like how a computer screen can simulate this effect: depending on the viewing angle the iridescent sections disappear or are clearly seen.

One last uniform note: yes, this template is an Adidas jersey with Nike pants. I have changed all other teams that use brands that don't make football uniforms to Adidas, Nike, or Under Armour. I was going to give Newcastle Adidas uniforms, but I learned that Puma actually split off from Adidas due to a disagreement between the brothers that founded Adidas. Puma also has a decent presence in the U.S., so I could see them making football uniforms. I gave them the Nike pants so that they wouldn't have a Puma logo on an Adidas jersey and so that I could put the iridescent section in them.

Their main logo is based off of their crest from the mid-70s through early-80s. I updated the castle (the new one is taken from their city coat of arms), removed the river, flipped the bird ( :therock: that doesn't sound like what I was intending...), and updated the script. Interestingly, their main logo is not on their jerseys or football field due to its busyness.

The alternate is another city pride design. The colors and castle are taken from the city coat of arms. These jerseys would be worn in their big rivalry game with Sunderland (which is about 10 miles from Newcastle). The blue T patch would be worn for the game--called the Tyne-Wear Derby. It is taken from the flag of Tyne and Wear.

This is definitely one of the more extreme looks I have made. What do you think?

award%20sig.png

The alternate is another city pride design. The colors and castle are taken from the city coat of arms. These jerseys would be worn in their big rivalry game with Sunderland (which is about 10 miles from Newcastle). The blue T patch would be worn for the game--called the Tyne-Wear Derby. It is taken from the flag of Tyne and Wear.

One thing that immediately jumps out at me - the red 'pride' shirt. The problem with red is that it's very much Sunderland's colour, and you can't imagine Newcastle using their arch-rival's hue as part of their colour palette. The Mackems would have a field day. ;)

One thing that immediately jumps out at me - the red 'pride' shirt. The problem with red is that it's very much Sunderland's colour, and you can't imagine Newcastle using their arch-rival's hue as part of their colour palette. The Mackems would have a field day. ;)

I definitely see your point. I was going to give Sunderland a blue and yellow city pride uniform to wear in that game (based on their city crest). If I switch the red and black would that help?

award%20sig.png

I definitely see your point. I was going to give Sunderland a blue and yellow city pride uniform to wear in that game (based on their city crest). If I switch the red and black would that help?

Hmm... when the two teams play each other they usually stick to their first choice kits, even though red/white and black/white stripes aren't really a great combination for picking the teams out!

I remember reading some comments from Newcastle fans when they switched to Puma a few years back, concerned that the maker's logo might appear in black on the shirt. This was because of Sunderland's nickname being 'The Black Cats', and if such a minor detail was a concern then using any amount of bright red on the kits would go down like the proverbial lead balloon.

That said, Newcastle have ventured into using varying amounts of burgundy/maroon on their away kits a couple of times over the past few decades - if you darken the red up and move it away from Sunderland's more primary hue then that might do the trick here.

Hmm... when the two teams play each other they usually stick to their first choice kits, even though red/white and black/white stripes aren't really a great combination for picking the teams out!

I remember reading some comments from Newcastle fans when they switched to Puma a few years back, concerned that the maker's logo might appear in black on the shirt. This was because of Sunderland's nickname being 'The Black Cats', and if such a minor detail was a concern then using any amount of bright red on the kits would go down like the proverbial lead balloon.

That said, Newcastle have ventured into using varying amounts of burgundy/maroon on their away kits a couple of times over the past few decades - if you darken the red up and move it away from Sunderland's more primary hue then that might do the trick here.

Thanks for this info. I will try to go with a maroon or burgundy and see if that works.

award%20sig.png

I think this is one of favorite series ever on this board, so please, please don't think no one is viewing it. I'm sure plenty of people are like me and just aren't commenting because the uniforms are mostly perfect already. You executed the vertical stripes very well by the way.

I think this is one of favorite series ever on this board, so please, please don't think no one is viewing it. I'm sure plenty of people are like me and just aren't commenting because the uniforms are mostly perfect already. You executed the vertical stripes very well by the way.

Thanks for your comment. I have been noticing the number of views so I know that people are stopping by.

I have had to take a bit of a break due to increased work load and am now leaving for a weekend get-away. I hope to have a new design for you sometime next week.

More c&c is welcome for Newcastle in the meantime.

award%20sig.png

SOUTHAMPTONOverview.png

saintshomeuni1.jpg

saintsawayuni1.jpg

saintsaway2uni1.jpg

saintsaltuni1.jpg

Southampton is the first team that I have done that does not have its logo on its helmet. The yellow stripe is a halo that goes the entire way around the helmet. I can't quite decide if it is a really dumb idea or a creative one. It is probably some of both, but I decided to go with it. In my mind, this is the helmet that Southampton has had for decades so it would somewhat sacrilegious to change it even though it might be a little silly. (I went with the gray facemask to make it seem like an older helmet design.)

Southampton FC has worn red-and-white striped shirts since 1896 (except for the past two years) and have worn black shorts since 1950 (except for very recently). I wanted to honor this tradition instead of the all red kits they are currently wearing. I gave them thick stripes on the sleeves, pants, and socks because of their striped soccer jerseys. I went with the three stripe design because Adidas is their manufacturer, and I think they would get as many teams to use a three stripe design as would be willing.

I said at the beginning of this thread that every team will have at least two helmets, so I added a red one. I also gave them red pants because they currently wear red shorts. They have a black change kit this year so I gave them a black alternate jersey. Either helmet or pair of pants could be worn with any jersey, I just portrayed the looks I like best. They would wear red pants at home very infrequently.

EDIT: I have replaced the jerseys with updated yellow outlines on the numbers. I decided that I would go with the red numbers on the alternate because I wanted to stay with a double outline on every jersey.

award%20sig.png

SwanseaOverview.png

swanseajersey1.jpg

swanseajersey2.jpg?t=1381782005

swanseajersey3.jpg

I decided to add orange as an accent color since Swansea City used it in the 1960s.

Abertawe is the Welsh spelling of Swansea so I have added it as a wordmark and used it on the alternate uniform and on the football field.

I incorporated the adidas stripes on the shoulder that is ubiquitous on adidas soccer kits.

And, yes, the alternate is chromed. I was inspired by this year's UCLA Hollywood Nights uniform. Also notice that their alternates will feature short socks rather than long socks.

Swansea City Alt is Amazing! :shocked:

282jck0.jpg21kxmpg.jpg

Guest darkpiranha

Great series. I agree with the others in that there's not much to add or change to the stuff you've done. The only thing I'D suggest is that for the numbers on West Ham, instead of doing rivets all the way around, do them like we do house numbers, with one rivet on top and bottom or on the sides.

I'm sad that you took away the green stripe on Liverpool. It's a color that just really pops, and says Liverpool more than any other color. You see all red, it can be any number of teams, but that green... only one team.

Once you're done with the Premiere League, take on the Champions League (and I'm not saying that just because I have an NFL Champions League thread going).

I'm sad that you took away the green stripe on Liverpool. It's a color that just really pops, and says Liverpool more than any other color. You see all red, it can be any number of teams, but that green... only one team.

Name the last time Liverpool had any green on their home kits (outside of the badge of course). CLUE

As for Southampton, I like the use of the halo on the helmet. It just bugs me that yellow is not used anywhere else. I don't know how to fix that though because I think the colour balance on the jersey, pants and socks is right. It reminds me of late 90s Southampton quite a bit to be honest (minus the stripes).

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Archived