2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

You are acting as though FIFA world cup rules and preferences are the same as they are for the EPL, for example, when it seems that may not be the case.

Haha, so you are assuming that I was even remotely thinking of the Premier League when I wasn't. I do follow the Premier League but I pay much more attention to international football and MLS. I am basing this off of what I have seen from the kit releases plus what I already know to be true from my many years of following the international game.

Are we really going to rehash this discussion post by post again?

Why not? Is that because you assume that you are right. All I have seen so far is that a few less reputable news outlets and some random dudes have reported that the all light and all dark kits are the case based upon Adidas stupid marketing schemes and ruining of great traditional kits. Get real dude.

No, I'm saying we've already had the conversation in this thread. No need to have it again.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about them being based on the official FIFA rules instead?

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Regulations/01/87/54/21/1875421_DOWNLOAD.pdf

At page 44, you can read:

Each team shall inform FIFA of two different and contrasting colours (one predominately dark and one predominately light kit) for its official and reserve team kit.

I posted that early in the thread too when the original "everyone must wear monochrome" discussion came up. The rule listed is identical to 2010 and nearly identical to 2006. There are no major changes for 2014 in regards to the uniform regs. Adidas is driving all of this.

Apparently there is loads of room for interpretation here or Adidas is somehow privileged in this situation. I find this light/dark distinction extremely stupid as I don't think there is a corner in the world where significant number of people still watch black & white TV.

Spain also had two dark kits 4 years ago so I wasn't aware that this rule is still followed.

This is where the confusion comes in. While you interpret the red & blue kits as both being "dark", FIFA did not. For FIFA, red was light, blue was dark. Too often, we assume light = white or yellow or maybe orange. UEFA's regulations are a little more clear when they say everything must "clash", but FIFA words it differently. I think it's in the regs that each FA must send their kit to FIFA for inspection & approval before the Finals. No one is going to show up in Brazil without FIFA saying, "That's your light kit and that is your dark kit".

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Yes, but at the same time red is a dark kit for Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Iran, Portugal, Ghana, Russia, Korea and probably United States and England.

This rule would make sense if we still lived in B&W TV era or if we considered the kits in home-road terms like in American Leagues, meaning that you could just blindly pair light vs. dark. But it just won't work in this case, thus IMHO this rule makes no sense and it's not followed.

You are acting as though FIFA world cup rules and preferences are the same as they are for the EPL, for example, when it seems that may not be the case.

Haha, so you are assuming that I was even remotely thinking of the Premier League when I wasn't. I do follow the Premier League but I pay much more attention to international football and MLS. I am basing this off of what I have seen from the kit releases plus what I already know to be true from my many years of following the international game.

Why not? Is that because you assume that you are right. All I have seen so far is that a few less reputable news outlets and some random dudes have reported that the all light and all dark kits are the case based upon Adidas stupid marketing schemes and ruining of great traditional kits. Get real dude.

No, I'm saying we've already had the conversation in this thread. No need to have it again.

I agree with the fact that this conversation has been had but plenty of people are still posting as if the monochrome or all light and all dark is actually the case. The problem with that line of thought is the Nike and Puma have already shown us otherwise with the kits they have released or that have been leaked. It is only Adidas who are messing everyone's traditional kits up.

I agree with the fact that this conversation has been had but plenty of people are still posting as if the monochrome or all light and all dark is actually the case. The problem with that line of thought is the Nike and Puma have already shown us otherwise with the kits they have released or that have been leaked. It is only Adidas who are messing everyone's traditional kits up.

adidas is doin it more, but Nike has done it some. Taking the US from white/navy/white and navy/white/navy to white/white/white and red/red/red.

adidas is doin it more, but Nike has done it some. Taking the US from white/navy/white and navy/white/navy to white/white/white and red/red/red.

The US has no kit traditions unfortunately. There is also a precedent for the US to have all white kits. Namely the last world cup...

usa-mens-soccer-fifa-world-cup-2010-land

Yes, but at the same time red is a dark kit for Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Switzerland, Iran, Portugal, Ghana, Russia, Korea and probably United States and England.

This rule would make sense if we still lived in B&W TV era or if we considered the kits in home-road terms like in American Leagues, meaning that you could just blindly pair light vs. dark. But it just won't work in this case, thus IMHO this rule makes no sense and it's not followed.

But the rule is followed, and it's been clearly followed for a long time now in the Finals. You've got to see it from FIFA's perspective. They aren't interpreting it the way you or I would. Saying one team's dark is the same as another teams light makes no difference, as long as when they hit the pitch, one is in contrast to the other. Spain wouldn't go out against the white-clad US in their blue kits because they don't need to. They could go in their red. FIFA's wording is slightly different from UEFA (to encourage a white kit and a color kit), but it makes no difference so long as each team has two kits that contrast. There is a real example of this too: in the 2010 final, Spain had to wear their change blue kit (dark) against the Dutch's traditional orange kit (their dark also). It didn't matter that both were designated "dark kits", only that one was noticeably darker than the other. Since the Netherlands were designated "home", they got to wear their first choice. If it were reversed, Spain would have had first choice and could have worn their reds against the Dutch white kits.

The last time there was a real problem was at USA 94, when Sweden showed up with white and yellow. It caused all kinds of weirdness against Brazil (who wore their yellow against Swedish white in their first game and blue against Swedish white in the rematch). FIFA would much rather have had Brazil in yellow against Sweden in blue (which is their change kit now) or vice versa.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I think that the idea that a kit must be all dark/all light started in the Confederations Cup when Brazil wore their white shorts with their traditional jerseys. That look was used so rarely before that, and coupling this with the adidas releases that threw away tradition, that everyone just assumed that FIFA's guidelines had been changed.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I miss those times when this was the final of the Euro 2008. This shorts clash would never be possible today.

Germany+v+Spain+UEFA+EURO+2008+Final+3iP

I think that the short clash is the least problematic in football. Still, during Euro 2012 we've had Sweden vs. England

Zlatan%2BIbrahimovic%2BSweden%2Bv%2BEngl

And those 2 games of Germany in the last World Cup

Germany%2Bv%2BAustralia%2BGroup%2B2010%2

Argentina%2Bv%2BGermany%2B2010%2BFIFA%2B

Do we know if the font on the USA kit will be red or blue?

We don't know, but I think blue is the safe bet.

5l2z4h.jpg

Is it just me, or does the Authentic Product Nike tag still use the crest with navy blue?

znjwvl.jpg

Not a terrible looking shirt by any means, but I still can't get out how much more it looks like a travel polo than a match shirt.

Guys the leaks were true. I just had a hookup sell me the new USA jersey. I posted it on Twitter to @BaconSports. Here are the photos, and I took them myself:

USA1_zps00b9746f.png

USA2_zps4fff15b3.png

USA3_zpsc258128b.png

USA4_zps354a7fc3.png

USA5_zpsf7f52106.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Archived