2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

"Predominantly" does not mean "completely." That's a guideline, not a complete rule. It just states that the teams have to have the option to have a complete contrast with any other team, not that they must wear those complete contrast kits every time. It's definitely Adidas' fault that they were too stupid to understand the rule.

Yup, I'm kinda sure that Adidas will go back to the normal kit politics for the next circle from 2016 on. Now they saw from Nike or Puma that the kits don't have to be monochrome. So I'm really looking forward to the Germany white-black-white home kit for 2016! :)

And I also hope that England will wear some blue shorts for a big tournament again then. In Germany 2006 they played the last tournament regularly with navy shorts. 2010 and 2012, all whites. I don't like that.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Predominantly" does not mean "completely." That's a guideline, not a complete rule. It just states that the teams have to have the option to have a complete contrast with any other team, not that they must wear those complete contrast kits every time. It's definitely Adidas' fault that they were too stupid to understand the rule.

Yup, I'm kinda sure that Adidas will go back to the normal kit politics for the next circle from 2016 on. Now they saw from Nike or Puma that the kits don't have to be monochrome. So I'm really looking forward to the Germany white-black-white home kit for 2016! :)

And I also hope that England will wear some blue shorts for a big tournament again then. In Germany 2006 they played the last tournament regularly with navy shorts. 2010 and 2012, all whites. I don't like that.

Germany will hopefully be going back to the white-black-white color combination from 2016 onwards. That is the traditional colors of Die Mannschaft. I'm a traditionalist at heart. But not complaining about the red and black hooped home kit for the World Cup.

Germany will hopefully be going back to the white-black-white color combination from 2016 onwards. That is the traditional colors of Die Mannschaft. I'm a traditionalist at heart. But not complaining about the red and black hooped home kit for the World Cup.

I hope if we go to the final that we wear the all black and red look. If we would wear all white in the World Cup Final I'd rather see us loose than win the thing in all white and let the look become iconic. :&

So I kinda hope for England vs. Germany in the final. ;)

Other possibilities to wear black would be against Argentina or Brazil.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Personal preference at the end of the day. Mines with Adidas.

Mines with nike, I'll take simple designs that are identifiable and follow the federation's classic looks, than the adidas kits that don't follow tradition and all follow the same template and have to have the three stripes which is a big pet peeve of mine.

See the thing is that they do follow the same template, but it's such a simple template that it works for everyone. Also it makes it seem more like Nike believes in their template because aside from a few differences, the technology is basically the same across the board. Adidas templates look very different from each other and have all sorts of different panels all over the place.

Here is the primary difference between Nike and Adidas design teams. Nike for the most part went with the retro inspired classic look of soccer kits from the 60's and 70's. When they did delve into a more modern look it actually turned out really nice with Portugal's home. Adidas for the most part went with the retro inspired hideous looks of soccer kits in the late 80's early 90's. That is why their kits are a general fail all the way across the board this cycle. Also the only definitive markings that a Nike kit has are the swoosh and the vent holes on the sides of the kit that you can't see unless it's a relatively close picture. The Adidas team has three stripes on both shoulders, a line across the back of the kit and the Adidas logo. All of this makes the already busy late 80's early 90's inspired design even busier. I have ranked all 64 kits according to my personal preferences obviously but the first Adidas kit to pop up from Adidas on my ranking isn't until number 6 with Argentina's Home Kit and they only have 4 in the top 20. The bottom 20 which is usually reserved for the non power 3 companies like Lotto, Marathon, Burrda, etc. has 8 Adidas kits in it and they all deserve to be there. Obviously this is just my opinion but generally speaking the Adidas kits are not even on the same level as Nike or Puma kits this cycle.

Here is the primary difference between Nike and Adidas design teams. Nike for the most part went with the retro inspired classic look of soccer kits from the 60's and 70's. When they did delve into a more modern look it actually turned out really nice with Portugal's home. Adidas for the most part went with the retro inspired hideous looks of soccer kits in the late 80's early 90's. That is why their kits are a general fail all the way across the board this cycle. Also the only definitive markings that a Nike kit has are the swoosh and the vent holes on the sides of the kit that you can't see unless it's a relatively close picture. The Adidas team has three stripes on both shoulders, a line across the back of the kit and the Adidas logo. All of this makes the already busy late 80's early 90's inspired design even busier. I have ranked all 64 kits according to my personal preferences obviously but the first Adidas kit to pop up from Adidas on my ranking isn't until number 6 with Argentina's Home Kit and they only have 4 in the top 20. The bottom 20 which is usually reserved for the non power 3 companies like Lotto, Marathon, Burrda, etc. has 8 Adidas kits in it and they all deserve to be there. Obviously this is just my opinion but generally speaking the Adidas kits are not even on the same level as Nike or Puma kits this cycle.

This is probably how i would rank the individual manufactures this cycle

Puma

Nike

Adidas

Everyone else

I'm not even a puma fan, they are probably my least favorite manufacturer, but still like them more than Adidas that i dont like at all. It's just puma put in a lot of effort to be unique but still follow the teams traditional looks, nike wasn't as unique but followed the traditional looks, Adidas was unique in a bad way for the majority of their kits

My ranking of kit manufacturers this cycle somewhat reflects wonderbread's but with a change:

1. Puma

2. Adidas

3. Nike

4. Everyone else

I'm sorry but I still believe Adidas is still the best football and rugby kit manufacturer on the planet. They are still timeless, have some historic meaning to their designs, and the three stripes are iconic. I myself love the kits, especially with the 2014/16 German home and Spanish away (love the black and neon yellow colors). But this is my opinion, and everyone has one when it comes to kits.

I was thinking about the whole situation with Adidas and how they are pretty dumb in making the various teams monochrome kits, but then it kind of gave me an idea as to their reasoning...

Is it possible that they read the rule, and thought it was stupid, so they thought of an idea to change it... That idea was to unveil the kits with the white shorts (in Germany's case) and show FIFA how bad the backlash would be? So that then when Germany goes to the world cup and plays in black shorts, Adidas can get away with it because FIFA (or the powers at be who control the uniform issue wording) doesn't want to be the bad guy and alienate a fan base as strong as the Germans?

I feel a little crazy, but it kind of makes sense.. your thoughts?

I think a reason why Adidas have taken this route is that they're an 'official partner' of FIFA - as such they're more likely to look to produce kits which unequivocally meet the regulations, as opposed to Nike for example whose designers perhaps have a little more freedom.

If this is indeed the case, whether this is through pressure from FIFA or Adidas just wanting to be seen as good partners is another question.

I personally think Nike are running out of ideas of late. The kits they have made recently are just too damn plain. This ranges from the teams they have under contract in England to the World Cup kits.

I think Adidas yet again have a jump on everyone with the World Cup with the Germany kit and what they have done to Spain for the competition.

Yes Adidas have the jump by removing two colors from the Spanish kit and completely ignoring the German tradition of having black shorts and doing a pseudo-flag design but instead of flag colors just doing shades of red. How about giving Nigeria a hideous neon green Sounders kit, making Mexico look like a pro wrestler, getting rid of Colombia's traditional shorts and socks in favor of white, making Japan have neon peach accents instead of red and an absolutely hideous highlighter yellow away, giving Argentina white instead of black shorts and socks and mailing it in on the Bosnia kits. Get real. The Adidas kits (except Russia) this year are pretty much horrid.

No need to tell me to get real about it. I apologise I am not a Nike fanboy but just gave an honest opinion on what I like. If I feel Adidas have done better than Nike and you cant handle that then fair enough. No need to tell someone to get real about it.

Ok I apologize for saying get real perhaps that was a bit harsh. I am almost not a Nike fanboy either. I can handle your opinion, but it doesn't mean that I agree with it. I just honestly feel that Adidas out of the big 3 have completely sucked for this World Cup. There are simple fixes for most of these kits but Adidas instead tried to be overtly "bold" with their designs. Sometimes boldness is just stupidity though.

Here are some quick fixes:

Germany - Their home kits are nice but they ruined it by pairing it with white shorts. I also think if they were to change that front graphic to black, red and yellow it would look better.

Spain - Change the gold to yellow, give them their normal crest and pair it with some blue shorts. Instantly better. Not much you can do to fix the away kit, that thing is atrocious.

Nigeria - Invert the neon green and traditional green colors. On the away swap out the neon green with a more traditional green and get rid of those red numbers.

Mexico - I actually don't mind their "Charlie Brown" away kit. When I first saw that home shirt I was like, "Hideous, how can it get any worse?" Then I saw their socks and I was like, "Um wow, I guess it can get worse." No fixing these they need a complete redesign.

Japan - I have their aways ranked as the very worst kit of the tournament in my rankings. The homes would be a whole lot better with red in place of neon peach.

Colombia - Simply give them navy shorts and red socks to fix these.

Argentina - Simply give them black shorts and socks instead of white.

If Adidas would have done this I am pretty sure everyone would have been much happier with their output this year.

You are saying they should go back to different colur shorts but it is a FIFA directive for this years World Cup that they dont. That is not Adidas fault is it that because you dont like it they have to change it back. If it comes from the top they have to go with it.

Rule 2, section 35 of the World Cup 2014 regulations states: “Each team shall inform FIFA of two different and contrasting colours (i.e. strips). One predominately dark and one predominately light for its official and reserve kit.”

That is verifiably false. There is NO new directive for 2014. The kit rule is identical to the 2010 rule (Article 32.2) http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/fifa_wc_south_africa_2010_regulations_en_14123.pdf

Monochrome is coming from the kit manufacturers, NOT FIFA.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The magazine is supposed to be out April 15.

I already have the home and away replicas but I got a peek at both of the player issue models. The material is very similar to the replicas but more of a mesh on the back side. The crest is more detailed as far as the stitching technique (similar to the centennial replicas vs. authentics). Instead of the bottom hem wrapping all the way around like the replicas, it has a little opening at the bottom which makes it a bit less snug at the waist. Obviously the side venting and the fit are different too. Something about the way the authentic looks on the body is nicer. I can see myself springing for one of these despite already having both replicas.

2dlodh0.jpg

1z179cn.jpg

2s799oh.jpg

2irkdqa.jpg

2dr99p1.jpg

ix7csg.jpg

Lastly, here is the leaked Nike stock photo of the player issued shirt which I never saw posted here.

15y9dhl.jpg

Still no clear shots of the shorts or socks. The only one so far was the full display in the store but the quality wasn't that great. At least we know it's red shorts with a tonal red crest...I just want to see nicer pictures of them.

Mexico and Colombia are not monochrome, so it's not like Adidas made every team that way.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I personally think Nike are running out of ideas of late. The kits they have made recently are just too damn plain. This ranges from the teams they have under contract in England to the World Cup kits.

I think Adidas yet again have a jump on everyone with the World Cup with the Germany kit and what they have done to Spain for the competition.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but I certainly disagree.

See, I actually have to agree with Ian.

Colombia gets an A+

Mexico gets a B+

Germany gets an A

Argentina gets a B+

Japan gets an A

Spain gets an A- (would be an A without monochrome)

Russia gets a B+

I might be missing a team or two, but so far it's a fairly solid body of work. Meanwhile most of the complaints have been about the USA, South Korea, and a few "eh whatever" towards Greece which are all Nike kits. So, to me, it seems like Adidas and Puma did a better job than Nike this time around. To top that off, Adidas has a better fit than Nike because everything that Nike Soccer does feels like ultra slim fit.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

You are, of course, welcome to your opinion, but I certainly disagree.

See, I actually have to agree with Ian.

Colombia gets an A+

Mexico gets a B+

Germany gets an A

Argentina gets a B+

Japan gets an A

Spain gets an A- (would be an A without monochrome)

Russia gets a B+

I might be missing a team or two, but so far it's a fairly solid body of work. Meanwhile most of the complaints have been about the USA, South Korea, and a few "eh whatever" towards Greece which are all Nike kits. So, to me, it seems like Adidas and Puma did a better job than Nike this time around. To top that off, Adidas has a better fit than Nike because everything that Nike Soccer does feels like ultra slim fit.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

I remember people actually applauding South Koreas kits, for most of the teams that you mentioned i believe you are forgetting away kits that have neon and other colors that dont belong with those teams, and to go off of that they screwed up a lot of there teams looks like Germany and Spain by having them go monochrome. I dont know what you are talking about in terms of fit, I feel like nikes are the looses fitting ones now with Adidas and puma fitting like spandex.

Archived