2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

I hate that logic^

It's 2014. We've come a long way in the sports uniform world enough to know what does or doesn't work. Teams looked justifibaly bad in the past (the 90's specifically) because they were at the cusp of the experimental phase with all the new technology.

The issue now is that it seems the big manufacturers have exhausted their solid ideas and have redirected their focus to making outlandish or oversimplified designs for quick cash grabs. Thankfully, every now and then we're lucky enough to land gems like the Netherlands kits this year.

This. The crazy uniforms we saw in the 90s weren't even that bad for their time. It's practically impossible to compare uniforms from different decades. Different decades have different styles. If the Yankees/Red Sox were a expansion teams of 2014, the logos would be considered bland and just plain weird (Red Sox is a weird name without the historical background behind it.)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Experimental Phases: I try to adhere to letting technology make something better rather than making it simply different. It would seem uniform designers are currently lost in the "use technology to simply make it different" phase. Hopefully it will pass.

What does everyone think of the new England home and away kits? Apparently they are going for £90...that's unreal

england-2014-nike-home-football-shirt-ki

b1b798f9e1b419209c082ccd444d0280.image.3

I personally prefer last years home shirt

england-2014-nike-away-football-shirt-ki

It's decent if a bit dull, one things for sure its better than the home kit abomination

Please excuse the hyperbole but if I didn't see the German logo, I would have no idea that uniform belongs to the German national team. The white top/black short combo is Germany to me.

I agree.

That's a nice kit, it's just not Germany's home kit.

That is precisely why I included the German kit in the list of bad kits. It's actually ranked as number 23 on my list of kits for the Cup so not bad, but the reality is that with white shorts that might as well be any number of teams. Also I give the German designer major downgrade points for his reasoning and then his excuse for why he made the shorts white. He made a comment about them winning the Cup in the all white kit when asked about it and I went back and did some research and the only time they wore the all white look was in a group stage game at that particular Cup and then in the Third place match at the cup after or before. To me he was straight up lying. Here is the article if anyone wants to read...

http://www.soccerbible.com/news/football-shirts/archive/2014/02/21/adidas-germany-world-cup-kit-q-amp-a-with-j-252-rgen-rank.aspx

EA pretty much messed up the whole US Kit Set in the official World Cup Game. The numbers and logos are navy on the home kit and they made the shorts blue for the away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxi4etEXMOQ

That's only a demo. The game doesn't come out for two more weeks, so I'm sure those details will be fixed by then.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

FINAL_AlexiLalasFlag_large.jpg

These colors look so much worse next to the flag with our actual colors.

And can we please put and end to these cheesy screaming supporter shots? I can't stand them.

Haha no one has notice that this is not just any supporter...this is Alexi Lalas.

Please excuse the hyperbole but if I didn't see the German logo, I would have no idea that uniform belongs to the German national team. The white top/black short combo is Germany to me.

I agree.

That is precisely why I included the German kit in the list of bad kits. It's actually ranked as number 23 on my list of kits for the Cup so not bad, but the reality is that with white shorts that might as well be any number of teams. Also I give the German designer major downgrade points for his reasoning and then his excuse for why he made the shorts white. He made a comment about them winning the Cup in the all white kit when asked about it and I went back and did some research and the only time they wore the all white look was in a group stage game at that particular Cup and then in the Third place match at the cup after or before. To me he was straight up lying. Here is the article if anyone wants to read...

http://www.soccerbible.com/news/football-shirts/archive/2014/02/21/adidas-germany-world-cup-kit-q-amp-a-with-j-252-rgen-rank.aspx

Germany in all-white in the 70s

2992747_450_450_0_0_fit_6_cac3f41c65c970

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I definitely like the away kit more now than I did when it originally leaked. Still think it's below average, but not nearly as terrible as I originally though. And this seems like an unpopular opinion, but I think it looks miles better with red shorts/socks than any other combination out there. The most puzzling parts are still the use of royal blue instead of navy and the monochrome crest on a multicolored jersey.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I agree.

Germany in all-white in the 70s

2992747_450_450_0_0_fit_6_cac3f41c65c970

My point was that he misrepresented that they wore white shorts "exclusively" at the 1970 and 1974 World Cups. The way he says it makes it sound like they wore them all the time when they only did it once in each Cup.

And can we please put and end to these cheesy screaming supporter shots? I can't stand them.

Haha no one has notice that this is not just any supporter...this is Alexi Lalas.

Kind of makes me sad for Alexi. USA superstar to bad stock photo model.

Just for comparison sake, here is the home and away renderings plus my idea if they switched the shorts around:

USAMockWorldCup_zpsabd5f699.png

spacer.png

I'm fine with the away kit pairing with the white shorts but I hate the home kit with red shorts. That is not what the US should look like. If the shorts have to be a color besides white, blue is the only option...royal or navy, take your pick...but not red.

I'm fine with the away kit pairing with the white shorts but I hate the home kit with red shorts. That is not what the US should look like. If the shorts have to be a color besides white, blue is the only option...royal or navy, take your pick...but not red.

I still think the white shirt needs thin red stripes similar to the 2008 kits. In fact they could have added blue trim similar to '08 as well:

259186-105_USA_home_jersey_08_zp.jpg

By the way, I'm planning on getting a jersey for this year's World Cup, and I want to get it customized. However, I'm having a hard time deciding who to put on it. I feel like if the USA performs poorly, it would be bad to get Donovan because he will likely not be around in 2018. Jozy Altidore went to high school near me, so I thought about getting him, but he's been playing poorly as of late which makes me wonder if he'll even make the World Cup roster. Julian Green is intriguing because of the whole USA/Germany thing considering we'll play them, but he's probably too young to get significant minutes even if he does make the final cut. Finally there's Dempsey (which everyone has), Bradley, and Wondolowski. I'm not excited about any of them.

Thoughts?

spacer.png

Kind of makes me sad for Alexi. USA superstar to bad stock photo model.

Actually it is all part of the campaign. They have other US athletes wearing the shirt as well...

Football player Ndamukong Suh, track athlete Allyson Felix, football player Andrew Luck and skateboarder Eric Koston...

13561777245_88ebec748e_z.jpg

I still think the white shirt needs thin red stripes similar to the 2008 kits. In fact they could have added blue trim similar to '08 as well:

259186-105_USA_home_jersey_08_zp.jpg

By the way, I'm planning on getting a jersey for this year's World Cup, and I want to get it customized. However, I'm having a hard time deciding who to put on it. I feel like if the USA performs poorly, it would be bad to get Donovan because he will likely not be around in 2018. Jozy Altidore went to high school near me, so I thought about getting him, but he's been playing poorly as of late which makes me wonder if he'll even make the World Cup roster. Julian Green is intriguing because of the whole USA/Germany thing considering we'll play them, but he's probably too young to get significant minutes even if he does make the final cut. Finally there's Dempsey (which everyone has), Bradley, and Wondolowski. I'm not excited about any of them.

Thoughts?

By that logic Dempsey won't be around either. Getting a Bradley #4 kit is probably your safest best.

Archived