Jaguars, Dolphins, and Vikings... what do you say now?

oldschoolvikings

Jags – Jags fan here. Hate the helmet. Originally I liked the new uniforms in and of themselves. The black jersey was simply okay, but I loved the away jersey and teal alt. Now, seeing them in action, I actually kind miss the last set's home jersey. All they needed to do was make the away jerseys have teal numbers. The pants could've used a thicker stripe. Sadly, I'm hoping in 5 years they change their uniforms again or that they wear their white jersey for most of their games. The black jersey is just ugly with those teal sleeves. Just make them solid black and move on. Pants stripe is a little weird. Wished it went full length to the bottom of the leg. I'm fine with it not going to the waist.

Vikes – Still don't get the love fest with this set (and I'm a born and raised Minnesotan). So many little design flaws that bug the crap out of me. Hate the number font. Hate the shoulder wings. Hate the helmet. The only thing I like is the pants stripe. I feel like everybody is just focusing on the fact that this set doesn't look like the last one, and therefore its better.

Phins – Seeing it in action, not a fan of the outline sequencing on the home jersey numbers. Having the dark blue as the inside stripe just gives the numbers a funky look. I like the away look and like the helmet and pants. Also a fan of the logo (but I can understand the hate for it because its such a change from their old logo).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.) Vikings...despite the mismatching purples and goofy spikes on some of the numbers, I don't mind their set. Still a huge upgrade from what they had.

2.) Dolphins...the lack of orange bothers me, but I guess I'm neutral overall. Don't like them or hate them.

3.) Jags...no more needs to be said about the horrible helmet. When the new jersey and pants came out, I actually liked the design ad thought it was good, but I've actually regressed since then. After seeing the whole set in action a few times it just doesn't work for me and I think the look as a whole looks horrible.

Minnesota- I love these. They have minor flaws but definitely an upgrade.

Miami- They look good, although I didn't think they needed changing in the first place. I'm not a fan of the logo just for the reason of being in love with the old goofy football playing, helmet-wearing dolphin. It is a good logo, if the team were just starting as an expansion it'd be great, but they had a logo that IMO was classic.

I also think they need more orange to really them pop. Because it's such a small amount, it almost looks like yellow, which makes them look a little San Diego Charger-ish.

Jags- I love the new logo. Everything else is just terrible. Nothing more, nothing less.

sig.png

I'm convinced that the Jaguars' new look is a part in a big scheme to eventually get them to LA. They look horrible, they play horrible, they play in a horrible stadium ... BAM ... fix that with a move to LA.

Horrible stadium? Really? Educate yourself. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000213537/article/jacksonville-jaguars-agree-on-63-million-stadium-upgrade-plan

The Dolphins set has grown in me, to the extent that I really like the shade of Aqua---it makes my HDTV glow in a great way. HOWEVER, the lack of Orange is jarring. They always show graphics of Marino with the prominent Aqua-ORANGE-Aqua helmet stripe. Makes me really miss that orange. The new logo is fine. The new wordmark lacks personality.

Vikings set is great. Sure, the numbers are uncoventional, but thank goodness they got rid of the piping.

Jaguars are a mess. Let's hope they move to Los Angeles next week.

Who would hope a team moves? Honestly. That's messed up. Nobody should want to see a team ripped away from their fans. It's pretty much as tragic a thing that can happen in sports outside of death.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Dolphins - I like the new logo, no clue why there's any hate for it. Other than that, nothing impressive, but it's not like it's supposed to be over the top. Not a fan of the script logo.

Vikings - They look solid, the numbers are great despite what people are saying (and despite the number combos that don't flow).

Jaguars - Just no, such a miss. The old logo was slightly awkward illustration wise but still was miles better than the current. The only thing I can appreciate here are the new scripts (the old Jaguars script wasn't bad, just a tad dated).

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Vikings: A-

Even though I really liked their previous look (only when they weren't wearing monochrome purple or white), the new uniforms look really nice. The main issue I have with them is the fact that the sleeve stripes on the white jersey don't match the stripes on the white pants. Fix that and it would get an A+ from me.

Jaguars: D+

The new logo is a massive upgrade, and I actually really like the teal and white jerseys. If they had just unveiled those and kept the teal-flaked helmet from the previous set, they'd be one of the best-dressed teams in the league. Unfortunately, they ruined the whole look with the bland black jersey and the worst helmet in NFL history. I'm hoping that the Jaguars embrace teal again in the coming years and finally come to their senses about that helmet, because there's still hope for them to look good every week with just a couple tweaks.

Dolphins: D-

The only thing saving this set from a flat-out F is the new logo, which I like more and more every time I see it. Aside from that, the uniforms are an overly plain mess that completely deemphasizes orange. The numbers especially look horrible on TV because of the extremely thin navy and orange outlines clashing with each other. What sucks is that the new color scheme and logo had so much potential but it's wasted on such a muddled and poorly-thought-out uniform.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

How about the Bills? We've lived with them a while now. Anyones opinion changed there?

I honestly like them less and less by the year. Not enough contrast, mismatched stripes, too bright, and the white helmets with retro-for-retro's-sake grey facemasks are a huge downgrade. I wish they would have just taken the hockey-style yokes off the 2002 jerseys and never wear monochrome navy or white again.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Jags- Well, what can i say that already hasn't been? I like the numbers,new word-mark and the pants, I hate the helmet (A matte black helmet with a teal facemask would look so much better) , and wish that the striping was more consistent. Logo is okay, but clip-artish. D-

Phins- Its an okay set for me.The helmet is okay, I wish the facemask was orange though. I like the new colours (except that NAVY), but i'd love more orange, and the new logo looks good, just not for football. C-

Vikings- Best of the bunch. Only thing I dislike is the whole serif on the number thing and the striping issue with the home jersey. Other than that, It's way better than what they had, and I actually like that matte helmet. B+

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

Jags – Jags fan here. Hate the helmet. Originally I liked the new uniforms in and of themselves. The black jersey was simply okay, but I loved the away jersey and teal alt. Now, seeing them in action, I actually kind miss the last set's home jersey. All they needed to do was make the away jerseys have teal numbers. The pants could've used a thicker stripe. Sadly, I'm hoping in 5 years they change their uniforms again or that they wear their white jersey for most of their games. The black jersey is just ugly with those teal sleeves. Just make them solid black and move on. Pants stripe is a little weird. Wished it went full length to the bottom of the leg. I'm fine with it not going to the waist.

Vikes – Still don't get the love fest with this set (and I'm a born and raised Minnesotan). So many little design flaws that bug the crap out of me. Hate the number font. Hate the shoulder wings. Hate the helmet. The only thing I like is the pants stripe. I feel like everybody is just focusing on the fact that this set doesn't look like the last one, and therefore its better.

Phins – Seeing it in action, not a fan of the outline sequencing on the home jersey numbers. Having the dark blue as the inside stripe just gives the numbers a funky look. I like the away look and like the helmet and pants. Also a fan of the logo (but I can understand the hate for it because its such a change from their old logo).

So when you say "design flaws" you mean "stuff I don't like"?

1. Vikings: Really good job here, just wonderful. It's really a shame about the helmet purple not matching up with the jersey purple, as I like the matte finish on their helmets. By far the best.

Rebrand Comparison: Buffalo Bills (Traditional look with modern flair, has some niggling flaws but overall it's well-done)

2. Dolphins: I'm biased here, because not only are the Dolphins one of my two permanent fave NFL teams (the other being Baltimore), but real-life dolphins are among my favorite animals. I always disliked the "dolphins must be goofy" thing, and was very glad they went to a smoother, more streamlined look. I do wish they had kept the position of the dolphin the same on the logo, to make the change a bit more acceptable to some, but it's not that big of a problem to me. Where they did fall short for me is the lack of orange. I love teal/orange (Sharks fan also), and I was very disappointed at how they chose to use it.

Rebrand Comparison: San Diego Chargers (Nice modern update, but ruined by poor color usage)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: I'm not even mentioning those helmets. We all know how bad they are. I'm still iffy on the logo. I can't really call it an upgrade, because even though the old one had issues, this one has too many issues of its own as well. The head looks too elongated, the colors are a bit off for me, and I find it strange that the logo looks worse and worse the larger it gets. I see "Arena League" get thrown around here sometimes, but this logo, to me, is truly "Arena League." Too bright and almost overtly flashy, one look at it and you just know you're dealing with a second-rate franchise. And with Jacksonville's recent history, I don't think that's an image they should have. The jerseys are a mess, but at least they have a very nice color scheme to try and keep it all together. Still, there are too many things (shoulder blobs, pant panels) that you look and think, "Why is this here?"

Rebrand Comparison: Seattle Seahawks (Fell prey to the college trap of going ultra-modern. Too many elements with not enough thought to cohesiveness)

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Jaguars - Looked like the worst set during the reveal, still the worst set after game photos. Changing the helmet, would be a start to fix the problem, but they're still bad. 1/10

Vikings - I can't help but feel they would look better with a normal gloss finish, still really like the uniforms, total upgrade. 7/10

Dolphins - Complete upgrade, a little more orange and they would be perfect. Logo is flawless. 8/10

I don't care what anyone says, I love everything about the Dolphins new uniforms. I LOVE the all white, I like the navy, I like the new logo. There, I said it :P

Vikings are good. Not great, but good.

The Jags uniform is quite possibly the most hideous thing to ever exist...ever...ever.

spacer.png

1. Vikings: Really good job here, just wonderful. It's really a shame about the helmet purple not matching up with the jersey purple, as I like the matte finish on their helmets. By far the best.

Rebrand Comparison: Buffalo Bills (Traditional look with modern flair, has some niggling flaws but overall it's well-done)

2. Dolphins: I'm biased here, because not only are the Dolphins one of my two permanent fave NFL teams (the other being Baltimore), but real-life dolphins are among my favorite animals. I always disliked the "dolphins must be goofy" thing, and was very glad they went to a smoother, more streamlined look. I do wish they had kept the position of the dolphin the same on the logo, to make the change a bit more acceptable to some, but it's not that big of a problem to me. Where they did fall short for me is the lack of orange. I love teal/orange (Sharks fan also), and I was very disappointed at how they chose to use it.

Rebrand Comparison: San Diego Chargers (Nice modern update, but ruined by poor color usage)

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: I'm not even mentioning those helmets. We all know how bad they are. I'm still iffy on the logo. I can't really call it an upgrade, because even though the old one had issues, this one has too many issues of its own as well. The head looks too elongated, the colors are a bit off for me, and I find it strange that the logo looks worse and worse the larger it gets. I see "Arena League" get thrown around here sometimes, but this logo, to me, is truly "Arena League." Too bright and almost overtly flashy, one look at it and you just know you're dealing with a second-rate franchise. And with Jacksonville's recent history, I don't think that's an image they should have. The jerseys are a mess, but at least they have a very nice color scheme to try and keep it all together. Still, there are too many things (shoulder blobs, pant panels) that you look and think, "Why is this here?"

Rebrand Comparison: Seattle Seahawks (Fell prey to the college trap of going ultra-modern. Too many elements with not enough thought to cohesiveness)

Agree on everything here thanks for saving me from typing all that

Also I do not know how anyone could give the Jags a passing grade F all the way

flaw 1 |flô|

noun

verb [ trans. ] (usu. be flawed)

(of an imperfection) mar, weaken, or invalidate (something)

So to rephrase my statement using the above definition:

Too many design flaws elements that mar or weaken the overall design that bug the crap out of me.

I'll use smaller words for you next time :)

flaw 1 |flô|

noun

Too many design flaws elements that mar or weaken the overall design that bug the crap out of me.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are all bigger words. :P

And, as long as we're defining words...

opin·ion

noun \ə-ˈpin-yən\

: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : not a fact, but instead what someone thinks about a particular thing :D

flaw 1 |flô|

noun

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those are all bigger words. :P

And, as long as we're defining words...

opin·ion

noun \ə-ˈpin-yən\

: a belief, judgment, or way of thinking about something : not a fact, but instead what someone thinks about a particular thing :D

I said NEXT time. That time wasn't next time, but the same time. (insert scene from Space Balls about when they are fast forwarding the movie and arrive at "now")

And sorry to use the word "flaw" as a way to describe my opinion. I'll make sure to say things like "its a true nightmare"...BAZINGA!

Vikings: I loved them when they were unveiled, and I still do today. The weird, unnecessary number font doesn't bother me as much now, but the mismatching stripes on the white jerseys and white pants still do. So I guess I like them a bit more now then I did back then. I'd say they'd be close to perfect if they fixed that striping issue.

Dolphins: I was just happy that they weren't Jacksonville-bad when they were unveiled, and was willing to give them a chance to grow on me. They've gotten worse for me since then though. I never cared for the logo and its uninspired style, combined with the lack of orange leading to a bit of a washed out look just makes them look generic. Like what a movie or tv show would come up with if they wanted to feature a Miami pro football team but couldn't get the rights to use the Dolphins.

Jaguars: I'm more or less at the same spot I was at when they were unveiled. The logo's terrible, the uniforms from the neck down look decent (save for the all black monochrome), and the helmet is, without a doubt, the ugliest helmet design in NFL history. A glaring beacon of design incompetence that outshines the decent stuff the uniform does from the neck down. I hope they go 0-16 and ditch the ridiculous look as soon as possible.

How about the Bills? We've lived with them a while now. Anyones opinion changed there?

I honestly like them less and less by the year. Not enough contrast, mismatched stripes, too bright, and the white helmets with retro-for-retro's-sake grey facemasks are a huge downgrade. I wish they would have just taken the hockey-style yokes off the 2002 jerseys and never wear monochrome navy or white again.

Eh, sorry. The Bills' look has grown on me each year since its inception, the toilet-seat collar year aside. The navy muddles things up just a bit, and the flared out helmet stripe is kind of stupid, but other then those two complaints it's perfect. It's just a good looking football uniform.

I was one of the few that loved their previous semi-monochrome look and did not want to see it leave. With that being said, I like their current set and believe it is one addition away from a damn near perfect uniform; remove the old for old sake looking grey facemask and make it blue and the set would be perfect.

spacer.png

1) Vikings: I had originally thought this was a huge upgrade, but thought that the number font was unnecessary and stupid, but it's grown on me. I hardly notice it anymore. I love the purple pants, but I think they need different socks to go with them. Overall I still love these.

2) Dolphins. Opinion is really the same, I love the new shade of aqua but the new wordmark is bland and the new number font on the jerseys are just silly. Also disappointing is the complete lack of orange. I don't know if I'd say it's either an upgrade or downgrade, though.

3) Jags. I hated these off the bat. Now, I feel like the jerseys are fine, the pants look silly and the helmets are a disaster. Wish they'd go to some variant of their early 00's unis.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

I like the Bill's look, for the most part, but IMO it's a few steps away from great. First, the widening helmet stripe should go... pointless and silly. Also, I've never seen an example of a football team wearing a logo on the hip of striped pants where it didn't look forced and unnecessary. And finally, they have to do something about the road sock situation.

Archived