oldschoolvikings

Oldschoolvikings' NFL concepts - Falcons fix added 6/6/20

OK... I've seen this once, I never need to see it again...

dal-thumb-final-120116.jpg

Awful.

Especially bad when you could make an argument that the Vikings are the NFL's original "Color Rush" team from way back in the 60's...

3426779640_3dcc827a9f_o.jpg

3425969599_5ac1c2a945_o.jpg

If you don't know the story;

"1964 was also the only season that the Vikings wore white jerseys at home games. This led to confusion when the Detroit Lions came to Bloomington with only their white jerseys. The game started with both teams wearing white jerseys. The Vikings retrieved their purple jerseys from Midway Stadium in Saint Paul. The Vikings changed from white jerseys to purple jerseys on the sidelines. That led to the Vikings wearing all-purple uniforms."

Anyway, with that in mind, I'm posting a slightly updated Vikings uniform below...

Home and road primaries remain relatively untouched.  You could argue that I'm a homer (I am), but I think the Vikings current uniform is top 5 in the League.  Most of the small details that bugged me at introduction, I've either stopped thinking about, or come to really appreciate. The only element of the current uniform I just can't lice with is the road sock situation.  So I'm adding a second pair of socks and a second pair of white pants, so on the occasions when they'd want to wear all white (which I'd like to see a couple of times a year) the jersey and pants stripes link up.

Other than that, I'm adding a color rush uniform that's a homage to the accidental color rush uniform from 1964.  Here you go...

VIKEFINAL_zpsr4zli35r.png

20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

OK... I've seen this once, I never need to see it again...

dal-thumb-final-120116.jpg

Awful.

I disagree. This is the one rare time a Color Rush uniform looks as good as the regular uniform.

I would love for the throwback uniform to be the basis for the primary.  That helmet was perfect and the color combo was so, so nice.I'd bascially remove the sold white stripe from the sleeve and move the white/gray/white down a bit and leave everything else alone.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:33 AM, OnWis97 said:

I would love for the throwback uniform to be the basis for the primary.  That helmet was perfect and the color combo was so, so nice.I'd bascially remove the sold white stripe from the sleeve and move the white/gray/white down a bit and leave everything else alone.

Yeah, I love the idea of updating that throwback, too.  My only issue with your sleeve suggestion is that it would leave them with what's basically a recolored Chiefs' jersey.  Not that there's much wrong with that, the Chiefs' jersey is pretty damn nice, but if keeping the white stripe saves some of the flavor of that 70's Jaworski uniform, I'm interested in leaving it.

How about this;

Updating the 70's look by... streamlining the pants stripe, updating the font, and splitting the difference between the old helmet wing and the new.  Like so...

eagfinal2_zpsc5fxkqwf.png

I will still haunt you until you use the 1980s helmet.

Point taken on the Chiefs jersey though.  Is the custom font enough?  If not, then I'd consider putting the gray stripe through both white stripes. Of course that will interfere with the swoosh, which reality dictates needs space.  Maybe something that uses the current sleeveless template (the way the Vikings have done)?  

Maybe take my idea but don't move the stripes down the sleeve.  Then it's somewhere between the Colts and the Chiefs?

I dunno.  I know your inspiration is from the 1980-ish jersey.  That odd, unbalanced stripe pattern was the only negative in an otherwise great uniform.  Then again, if I'm the only one thrown by it then maybe it's OK...

Anyway, I'd take the above as Eagles primaries if offered with no hesitation.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

I will still haunt you until you use the 1980s helmet.

Point taken on the Chiefs jersey though.  Is the custom font enough?  If not, then I'd consider putting the gray stripe through both white stripes. Of course that will interfere with the swoosh, which reality dictates needs space.  Maybe something that uses the current sleeveless template (the way the Vikings have done)?  

Maybe take my idea but don't move the stripes down the sleeve.  Then it's somewhere between the Colts and the Chiefs?

I dunno.  I know your inspiration is from the 1980-ish jersey.  That odd, unbalanced stripe pattern was the only negative in an otherwise great uniform.  Then again, if I'm the only one thrown by it then maybe it's OK...

Anyway, I'd take the above as Eagles primaries if offered with no hesitation.

That particular sleeve design started out so oversized it had to be reduced years ago... well before the tiny sleeves of the 2000's.

When it first appeared in 1974, it was this bit of craziness;

f8c20c6b10e3559a3e1e3c30c13d1433.jpg102596a_lg.jpeg

Cg4_iJDXEAE4YZs.jpg

That's stripe overload (even for me).

After a few years the bottom white/gray/white was dropped;

8089384921879a2a743208cc3959e069.jpg

herman-edwards-autographed-football-cardFF_2140078ALT3_full.jpg&w=600

It would seem a shame to me to dismantle it any further.

Actually, the original one, with all its symmetry, makes sense.  I still don't like it, but at least I get it.

They should have done something other than just chop the bottom one off.

On 4/26/2017 at 3:28 PM, OnWis97 said:

Actually, the original one, with all its symmetry, makes sense.  I still don't like it, but at least I get it.

They should have done something other than just chop the bottom one off.

This could still be accomplished, even today.. Take the Carolina Panthers' jersey template for instance.. Shoulder TV numbers are present.. Carolina's shoulder loops are pushed a bit more down the sleeve than traditional shoulder loops (such as Indy's), do you could get the top set of tri-colored stripes in.. The location of the Panthers logo (mid sleeve) would be a prime location for the thick single-colored stripe, and a tri-colored sleeve cuff could be used to act as the bottom stripes that were eventually omitted in the original version of the jersey

7 hours ago, WavePunter said:

This could still be accomplished, even today.. Take the Carolina Panthers' jersey template for instance.. Shoulder TV numbers are present.. Carolina's shoulder loops are pushed a bit more down the sleeve than traditional shoulder loops (such as Indy's), do you could get the top set of tri-colored stripes in.. The location of the Panthers logo (mid sleeve) would be a prime location for the thick single-colored stripe, and a tri-colored sleeve cuff could be used to act as the bottom stripes that were eventually omitted in the original version of the jersey

Definitely true, but it would be undeniably crowded.  We're talking about nine separate stripes in the space of a modern sleeve cap.

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Definitely true, but it would be undeniably crowded.  We're talking about nine separate stripes in the space of a modern sleeve cap.

7 stripes, unless you're counting the space between the sets of stripes.. Also, the top set of stripes is partially in The shoulder area, so it wouldn't be entirely contained within the sleeve cap area.. The Panthers shoulder/sleeve area is already pretty crowded, but people don't generally complain about that.. If achieving the throwback design is desired, I think it would suffice

Yeah, I was counting the spaces to get to nine... at that size the spaces would be basically indistinguishable from any other stripe.  I don't think you can treat the top stripes as a traditional vertical stripe... you'd be using vertical and horizontal stripes together at such a close space (on the current tiny sleeve caps) that everything would butt together at strange angles.

On 4/29/2017 at 0:25 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Yeah, I was counting the spaces to get to nine... at that size the spaces would be basically indistinguishable from any other stripe.  I don't think you can treat the top stripes as a traditional vertical stripe... you'd be using vertical and horizontal stripes together at such a close space (on the current tiny sleeve caps) that everything would butt together at strange angles.

Some slight reductions in overall size would need to be made to maintain proportions, but I think that would actually help fitting it all in as well.. I'd definitely be interested in seeing it be attempted at this point though.. I'm intrigued

Reworking a Bronco project I've posted before.  This one is similar, but slightly different striping, plus a new color rush and new throwback;

broncfinal2_zpsqgnhbltn.png

Thoughts appreciated...

On 6/13/2017 at 8:53 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Reworking a Bronco project I've posted before.  This one is similar, but slightly different striping, plus a new color rush and new throwback;

broncfinal2_zpsqgnhbltn.png

Thoughts appreciated...

That color rush looks too close to black. And I hate bfbs uniforms