Oldschoolvikings' NFL concepts - Frankly insane Buccaneers idea added

oldschoolvikings

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

NFC West... same rules. (The Seahawks are getting left out.  The one helmet rule really makes them throwback-proof, and I doubt anything I'd design for them could be honestly considered a "tweak".)

The Cardinals throwback sleeves are really a far cry from the uniform it's referencing, but what can you do?

spacer.png

Is the number on the throwback the wrong color, or intentional? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

48 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Is the number on the throwback the wrong color, or intentional? 

Gridiron Database has them wearing a cream/off white color on the numbers and stripes. On my computer it's so light it's easy to miss.  On my phone I can tell the back numbers didn't get the fill. Thanks for the catch.  I'll fix it.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 8:13 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Next up, Green Bay.  A number of small changes (road sleeve stripes, home collar, sock stripes, 60's number font), probably unnoticeable to the average fan, but to me they would make a huge overall impact.  I'm not sure they'd ever really need to wear the all-white option, but there it is anyway.

spacer.png

Not bad.  But keep in mind that the Packers used several fonts in the 60s as that sort of thing wasn't nearly as regulated in those days.  I've seen team photos of Henry Jordan (74) and Forrest Gregg (75) wearing completely different 7s. 

Also, I would prefer the pants matched the jersey on the throwback, as was the case in 1944... the last time they won a championship in the "classic Lambeau" look.

10 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Not bad.  But keep in mind that the Packers used several fonts in the 60s as that sort of thing wasn't nearly as regulated in those days.  I've seen team photos of Henry Jordan (74) and Forrest Gregg (75) wearing completely different 7s. 

Also, I would prefer the pants matched the jersey on the throwback, as was the case in 1944... the last time they won a championship in the "classic Lambeau" look.

Yeah, I shouldn't have said "60's numbers" like that was an actual thing.  It's just a quirk I'd seen in some old pictures that some jerseys had a slightly different font, specifically the 1,2,4, and 7. I just thought it gave a nice subtle vintage feel that really didn't overly alter the basic aesthetic.

So are you saying the pants for that uniform were yellow/gold and not that standard brown/tan canvas color?

On 6/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, NicDB said:

Yes sir!

spacer.png

Hmmm... I've seen that picture before, but I've always suspected it was artificially colored, and therefore might be incorrect.  Gridiron database has them in canvas colored pants that season, although I'm sure that site has it's mistakes...

spacer.png

Hey, @Gothamite, you want to weigh in?  Did the '44 Packers wear gold pants, or tan/canvas pants?

• oldschoolvikings changed the title to Oldschoolvikings' NFL concepts - Random AFC, tweaks and throwbacks added
4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Hmmm... I've seen that picture before, but I've always suspected it was artificially colored, and therefore might be incorrect.  Gridiron database has them in canvas colored pants that season, although I'm sure that site has it's mistakes...

spacer.png

Hey, @Gothamite, you want to weigh in?  Did the '44 Packers wear gold pants, or tan/canvas pants?

Gridiron Database is wrong.  The pants were gold.

It's an easy mistake to make,  and one the Packers themselves keep making.  If you look at the Hutson and Lambeau photo, you can see that the pants were made of a couple different types of fabric (which were also different from the jersey).

OIP.HPiAYfvxymzH6AdZB3O9fQHaJU?pid=ImgDe

That fabric sometimes appears on film as a khaki color. 

1940s_Hutson_color4.jpg

But look at this still from the same game film - more gold.   The pants here look like a matte version of the shiny gold numbers.

1940s_Hutson_color3.jpg

Not a lot of pants from the period have actually survived.  I know of two in private collections and have seen one pair in my life, and they were gold.  The interior leg fabric had faded quite a bit, but the exterior leg fabric was still bright and vivid gold. 

• Like 4

On 5/29/2021 at 9:13 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Next up, Green Bay.  A number of small changes (road sleeve stripes, home collar, sock stripes, 60's number font), probably unnoticeable to the average fan, but to me they would make a huge overall impact.  I'm not sure they'd ever really need to wear the all-white option, but there it is anyway.

spacer.png

This is absolutely what the Packers should be wearing.

The changes are simple enough that many Packers fans wouldn't notice, and even those who did wouldn't get upset since you're returning elements of the classic Lombardi uniform as it was meant to be.  I especially love the simple number font - the Packers bought those for the 1960 season.  If anything, they could be a little bit bolder:

1960_Lions-Packers_6.jpg

Bravo, man.  Well done.

On 6/11/2021 at 3:02 PM, NicDB said:

You are absolutely correct, sir.  In the Packers' case, they bought a bunch of new jerseys every year, and took whatever stock number font the manufacturer used.  But in addition to buying new ones, they also re-used old jerseys for several seasons, resulting in many different fonts on the field at once.

This photo was taken on December 1960:

c1959-60_celebration.jpg

Most players are wearing the 1960 numbers, but Emlen Tunnell in the back is wearing a 1959 jersey with serifs.

c1959-60_numbervariations.jpg

I love when this creeps into team photos.

1962_GreenBayPackers.jpg1962_WhittentonJerseyClose.jpg

And, of course, this thrifty habit goes way back.

1939champions_GreenBayPackers.jpg

Dig the 4s.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Gridiron Database is wrong.  The pants were gold.

Well, thanks so much to @NicDB for the initial catch and to you for the corroboration.  I couldn't stop myself from correcting the concepts and reposting...

spacer.png

And all the talk recently about the new Packers throwback, and the possibilities of it being the 1936 version made me want to go back and add that one, too.  It's a beaut.

spacer.png

Also, thanks for the kind words for the concept in general.  I guess as a rule I like all my concepts or I wouldn't post them, but this one does seem to be a no brainer.

• Like 7

Amen.  

@oldschoolvikings, this is a heartbreaking concept.  The Packer should adopt it, but won’t. 

the only and I mean ONLY thing I’d change is the collar of the navy jersey.  It should be gold all around, even when it drops lower than the yoke. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/3/2021 at 12:15 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

WFT, adding gold numbers to the jersey to match the ones on the helmet, and bringing back gold pants at home for the color balance. I tried to add a few touches to the number font to tie it in to the new W. The throwback helmet becomes a faux-back helmet, for the obvious reasons. 

spacer.png

That W roundel would be a great updated, primary helmet logo. 

• Like 1

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• 1 month later...
  • oldschoolvikings changed the title to Oldschoolvikings' NFL concepts - Eagles added
  • oldschoolvikings changed the title to Oldschoolvikings' NFL concepts - Seahawks added