NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

So... Rose should have come back for the playoffs after all. Medically cleared, "the best player in practice" ... and as we now know, a ticking time bomb. If you're on borrowed time, wouldn't you rather play in 19 really meaningful games than 11 November games and an 8-0 preseason?

Hindsight is 20/20, but I honestly didn't get why Rose didn't come back for Brooklyn (as rumored) or Miami.

And it turns out 2011 was the entire window, not just the opening of it. You just can't take it for granted...

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rose is out for the year according to the Bulls.

lebron-dancing-ring.gif

Laker fans should be furious, since Kobe's selfishness is going to cost them a chance at one of the big-name free agents next summer.

Well, the whole Buss family runs on the premise of team loyalty. But at least Papa Jerry knew ahead of time when an asset (Shaq) could no longer be as helpful in the long run, results-wise. Jimmy only considered the "selling" of the Lakers name, as to what will continue to sell merchandise or other such gimmicks.

I admire Kobe's spunk and determitabilty, but this new contract he signed will bury the Lakers out of competitive play for at least the next 3-4 years.

Kobe should be able to make whatever he's worth.

He's 35 years old and coming off an Achilles injury. He's already making more than he's really worth. There's no way to justify him still being the highest-paid player in the NBA. Kobe is just selfish and ego-driven and Jim Buss is clueless.

The real issue is the punitive luxury tax designed to hurt teams like this. That's what happens when you deny a free market.

No, the luxury tax is not the issue.

Tim Duncan took a paycut. LeBron took a paycut. Even after the Lakers showed loyalty to Kobe while he was threatening to leave, being accused of rape, and blowing up the early-2000's dynasty with his inability to get along with Shaq, he refuses to repay that loyalty by taking a paycut in his old age to help his team. That's the real issue here.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

He did take a paycut. (And he's worth much more.) He shouldn't have to, though. None of those players should. It's a system actively designed to punish rich teams for being good, and to take money away from the players. Lebron's worth at least twice what he's making.

Also, I'm concerned about the amount of minutes Bradley Beal and John Wall are playing right now for the Wizards.They're both young, but Beal leads the league in minutes per game and Wall is in 9th. It'd be one thing if the team was 8-2 or something decent like that, but at 4-7, that should not be happening.

Beal out for at least two weeks with a stress fracture. It had to happen. You don't play 40 minutes a game and not get burned.

I don't blame Kobe for taking the deal. Very few people would refuse that type of money, so I can't fault Kobe. And that's coming from someone who's never been a fan of his at all.

I blame Lakers management. What idiot thought this was a good idea? From what I've been able to gather, they basically just threw the deal at Kobe. Seriously? Rule 1 of Negotiating: Never show your hand too early. The Lakers, not Kobe, had the leverage in this situation, and the fact that they wasted it is shocking to me.

This is, to me, the biggest difference between the new Lakers and the old Lakers we all know and love to hate: the old Lakers knew how to make the tough choices. Those Lakers made the tough, but correct, decision to jettison their primary superstar (Shaq), and move forward with their younger, developing stud (Kobe). These Lakers are all about coddling superstars and massaging egos, living off the reputation that was built for them by the merits of the old Lakers. Their attitude backfired horribly with Dwight, it's produced "meh" results with D'Antoni's hiring, and I expect this to not work out like they're expecting as well.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I don't blame Kobe for taking the deal. Very few people would refuse that type of money, so I can't fault Kobe. And that's coming from someone who's never been a fan of his at all.

I blame Lakers management. What idiot thought this was a good idea? From what I've been able to gather, they basically just threw the deal at Kobe. Seriously? Rule 1 of Negotiating: Never show your hand too early. The Lakers, not Kobe, had the leverage in this situation, and the fact that they wasted it is shocking to me.

This is, to me, the biggest difference between the new Lakers and the old Lakers we all know and love to hate: the old Lakers knew how to make the tough choices. Those Lakers made the tough, but correct, decision to jettison their primary superstar (Shaq), and move forward with their younger, developing stud (Kobe). These Lakers are all about coddling superstars and massaging egos, living off the reputation that was built for them by the merits of the old Lakers. Their attitude backfired horribly with Dwight, it's produced "meh" results with D'Antoni's hiring, and I expect this to not work out like they're expecting as well.

Turns out that the Lakers management didn't even play hardball; according to Deadspin, they approached him with the $48.5M deal and Kobe simply accepted it, which now limits them to one superstar in 2014 and none in 2015.

GR30a5H.png

Also, I'm concerned about the amount of minutes Bradley Beal and John Wall are playing right now for the Wizards.They're both young, but Beal leads the league in minutes per game and Wall is in 9th. It'd be one thing if the team was 8-2 or something decent like that, but at 4-7, that should not be happening.

Beal out for at least two weeks with a stress fracture. It had to happen. You don't play 40 minutes a game and not get burned.

I'm not surprised, Whittman HAS TO get his lineup management staight, at this rate Wall will become the next D-Rose.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Kobe's two-year extension will STILL make him the highest paid player in the league. Laker fans should be furious, since Kobe's selfishness is going to cost them a chance at one of the big-name free agents next summer.

Can't blame Kobe on this one. This is all on the Lakers. Who wouldn't take a deal like that?

"Oh, I couldn't do that Mitch. 25 mil/year is too much." No player would decline a deal like that.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

To be fair, Kobe may have forced their hand months ago:

"I'm not taking any (pay cut) at all - that's the negotiation that you have to have," Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. "For me to sit here and say, ‘Oh yeah, I'm just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I'm going to try to get as much as I possibly can."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/11/4514974/kobe-bryant-contract-lakers-pay-cut

xLmjWVv.png

To be fair, Kobe may have forced their hand months ago:

"I'm not taking any (pay cut) at all - that's the negotiation that you have to have," Kobe Bryant told Lakers Nation in an exclusive interview at his Kobe Basketball Academy on Wednesday. "For me to sit here and say, Oh yeah, I'm just going to take a huge pay cut. Nah, I'm going to try to get as much as I possibly can."

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/7/11/4514974/kobe-bryant-contract-lakers-pay-cut

Why should he take a pay cut? Nobody else would take a pay cut at their job. I'm glad he gets top dollar.

To help the team bring in the best supporting cast possible and help him make one or two last run(s) at a championship before he retires, or at very least, to help them re-sign key players.

Tim Duncan took a massive paycut in 2012 to help the Spurs keep Parker and Manu. LeBron and Wade took paycuts in order for the Big Three in Miami to be possible (granted, Miami is somewhat of an outlier, as players in their primes taking paycuts doesn't have nearly as much precedent as aging stars like Duncan doing it). Both teams were in the Finals last June. Sometimes players have to sacrifice for the sake of their team if they want to win.

xLmjWVv.png

I was going to post about the Clippers destroying the Bulls then I remembered Rose was out.

Don't worry; the Bulls destroyed themselves in investing time and energy to an unfortunate, injury-prone player. Kind of how the Blazers invested heavily on Oden and Brandon Roy. Kind of how all the Lakers fortune right now is dependent on Kobe returning from his Achilles tear.

A little addendum there...

To help the team bring in the best supporting cast possible and help him make one or two last run(s) at a championship before he retires, or at very least, to help them re-sign key players.

Tim Duncan took a massive paycut in 2012 to help the Spurs keep Parker and Manu. LeBron and Wade took paycuts in order for the Big Three in Miami to be possible (granted, Miami is somewhat of an outlier, as players in their primes taking paycuts doesn't have nearly as much precedent as aging stars like Duncan doing it). Both teams were in the Finals last June. Sometimes players have to sacrifice for the sake of their team if they want to win.

Has your boss ever come to you and asked you to take a paycut so that the company can hire better personnel?

That is, of course, assuming you have a job.....

Probably not, but sports =/= office jobs. His boss probably doesn't work under a collectively bargained salary cap, either. To forgo salary late in a career in favor of fielding a better team isn't an unreasonable demand, though it's not one that anyone should feel they have to take, either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Tom Brady set the worst precedent in the world for this.

With regards to this topic in general, it just strikes me as backwards thinking. When building a roster with championship aspirations, I've never understood why many think it's the best player's job to be the one who takes a paycut, or something along those lines. This has nothing to do with selfishness or anything; it's not Kobe's job to take less salary when he's the best player on the team. If they want to (or willing to, I should say), then by all means, whatever. But they shouldn't be the ones criticized if/when they don't. It's not their job to personally undervalue themselves.

spacer.png

That we expect players to willingly take less money when they already play in a league that artificially lowers their salary so the owners can keep more money for themselves says something.

It's not like Kobe works for some little startup that really needs his services but can't afford to pay him properly, yet. Like some indie game company that doesn't get enough revenue from their 99 cent apps. The NBA already rakes in millions, and yet still puts in this phony rule that limits their salaries, for no other reason but to keep themselves from spending too much. And the players should still take less? Sad.

Tom Brady set the worst precedent in the world for this.

With regards to this topic in general, it just strikes me as backwards thinking. When building a roster with championship aspirations, I've never understood why many think it's the best player's job to be the one who takes a paycut, or something along those lines. This has nothing to do with selfishness or anything; it's not Kobe's job to take less salary when he's the best player on the team. If they want to (or willing to, I should say), then by all means, whatever. But they shouldn't be the ones criticized if/when they don't. It's not their job to personally undervalue themselves.

Generally I would agree with this. I'd even say that the Lakers are more at fault than Kobe here. My issue is what is important for the two. They will tell you it's rings, they may even say its the future of the Lakers. I think this deal hinders both from happening.

They can't afford the pieces to win now and they don't have the pieces to carry them after Kobe is gone. Part of that is how the Lakers view Kobe as a top player. The front office released a statement talking about Kobe being a free agent after this year so they wanted to lock him up then go after another max player. In their eyes they were still in the market for two max guys, Kobe being one of them.

I'm just not convinced he is anymore. On his 18th year and coming back from a major injury? Kobe is past his prime and if he doesn't see it the organization should have the foresight to see the writing on the wall. Honestly I don't think this Lakers team has a plan.

Yeah, Jim Buss is pretty clueless as well. Did he not realize he was bidding against himself? I can't really see any other team lining up to give Kobe more than $25 mil a year in free agency - the only teams that might be irresponsible enough to do that (Knicks, Nets) already have too many bad contracts on the books to begin with. And apparently the Lakers didn't even try to negotiate, they just caved in.

xLmjWVv.png

Archived