NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

Yeah, Jim Buss is pretty clueless as well. Did he not realize he was bidding against himself? I can't really see any other team lining up to give Kobe more than $25 mil a year in free agency - the only teams that might be irresponsible enough to do that (Knicks, Nets) already have too many bad contracts on the books to begin with. And apparently the Lakers didn't even try to negotiate, they just caved in.

They gave him lifetime achievement pay. Plain and simple. This isn't something Dr. Buss would have done. He let the unquestioned leader of the team, MVP, and 3 time champion Shaq go because he saw his window closing. He might not have let Kobe go but I bet he would at least approached Kobe like a man and negotiated. Jr just dropped his pants and grabbed his ankles, and he had the leverage.

I don't see another max guy coming to town to be anything less than Kobe's equal and for less money to boot. Dwight Howard wasn't afraid, lazy, or any of the other things bitter Laker fans have said about him. He saw what was really going down and he said screw that. The Lakers look like they are running a Kobe fan club and not a billion dollar business. I like Kobe, I just wish he and his front office were more self aware.

These aren't my fathers Lakers that's for sure. Not that I'm complaining...Go Clippers!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of summer 2014, Heat/Cavs gets me more anxious than a game with any other lottery team, but it was mostly everything I wanted it to be. Wade looked excellent and Beasley is really coming on strong. The 3 pointer wasn't falling and Bosh never got going, so it wasn't as convincing as I would have liked.

Dion Waiters was the only Cav that looked good, and he's rumored to be trade bait. With LAL destroying their cap space and Cleveland looking like a mess, this upcoming free agency might not be as suspenseful as it might have otherwise been.

PJU85JF.png

Jason Kidd either is a putz or a good actor.

The guy doesn't look like a head coach at all out there.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Does Jason Kidd last through Christmas? What a joke.

He's going to. He was a bad hire but the Nets are going to stick with him because Billy King has his back. The problem is that the Nets are missing their young stars and the remaining old stars are all but checked out of the game of basketball and don't have much respect for a guy who is basically a peer.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Who was the last successful NBA coach who had never held any prior coaching job whatsoever? No, Vinny Del Negro making the playoffs doesn't count.

Also, did you know the Nets have no draft picks until 2018? How did David Stern not stop this?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Who was the last successful NBA coach who had never held any prior coaching job whatsoever? No, Vinny Del Negro making the playoffs doesn't count.

Also, did you know the Nets have no draft picks until 2018? How did David Stern not stop this?

I sure can't think of one. And yeah, that mess is so hot I'm not even going to get near it for fear of scalding my internet-paled flesh.

twitter

Off the top of my head -- Nate McMillan?

Has there ever been a successful superstar NBA player who became a superstar NBA coach?

Lenny Wilkens, I guess. Anyone else?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Has there ever been a successful superstar NBA player who became a superstar NBA coach?

Larry Bird? 3 years, 2 ECFs, 1 Finals, 1 Coach of the Year.

Yes, of course. It's too bad he only gave those three years. It's kind of a blip in the grand scheme of things.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I kinda feel bad for J Kidd. It's obvious he wasn't ready for the job but I can't blame the guy for taking it. That's a huge opportunity and a grand learning experience. He is also dealing with some injuries to key guys. I'm disappointed in the Boston boys who make it painfully obvious they are just going through the motions.

Who was the last successful NBA coach who had never held any prior coaching job whatsoever?

Doc Rivers went from broadcasting to his first head coaching job in Orlando and won Coach of the Year in his first season.

But let's be clear -- that Magic went 41-41 that year when the East was its lowest point and they missed the playoffs.

On the other hand, Darrell Armstrong was the team's leading scorer, so who knows.

Yes, of course. It's too bad he only gave those three years. It's kind of a blip in the grand scheme of things.

The only other "recent" choice is Billy Cunningham as he was an All-Star five times (4 NBA, 1ABA) in 11 seasons, MVP of the ABA and named to the NBA Top 50.

3 finals appearances, 1 title, .698 winning percentage

To this day, I still don't know why Bird didn't continue on coaching past 2000.

To this day, I still don't know why Bird didn't continue on coaching past 2000.

He thought players would tune him out if he stuck around too long. He had 4 coaches in his time in Boston, so he must have seen value in coaching changes.

PJU85JF.png

Who was the last successful NBA coach who had never held any prior coaching job whatsoever?

Doc Rivers went from broadcasting to his first head coaching job in Orlando and won Coach of the Year in his first season.

But let's be clear -- that Magic went 41-41 that year when the East was its lowest point and they missed the playoffs.

On the other hand, Darrell Armstrong was the team's leading scorer, so who knows.

That roster was atrocious. .500 was amazing considering the players they had that year.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The thing is, Kidd should have turned out to be a great coach. Obviously he was a high-IQ point guard, so you'd expect that to translate to coaching. But he should have been eased into coaching, not thrown right into the fire with an expensive veteran roster in a big city. Be an assistant somewhere, work the D-League or Europe, something. But these are the Nets, and they're dumb, and they wanted a stunt.

I'm very surprised John Stockton never took up coaching. High potential for burnout, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived