NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

T-Wolves now 0-7 trying to get over .500 and 0-10 in games decided by 4 pts or less. Almost all of those losses, it seems, have been created by Rubio turnovers. Three in the last minute tonight.

Add another close loss tonight. I shouldn't have even been that close(the Kings made some errors down the strech), but a solid road win for Sacramento.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clippers just picked up Turk. I haven't seen much of him since that one good year in Orlando. I'm not sure if this is a good move or not.

They still need a bigger body in the paint though. DJ is getting really good defensively but I don't think it's going to be enough come playoff time.

Holy crap. The Rockets went from scoring 73 points in the first half tonight to scoring 19 in the second half and losing. That's right - 19 total. :shocked:

That really is crazy on a record-breaking level. Funny that 19 points ties the record for fewest points in a half. Bet that's been done quite a bit in college. And the disparity is incredible.

Also, I fell asleep at halftime. Can't decide if I should be thankful or not. At one point I woke up and briefly thought I had forgotten the Bulls played the (very) late game after Rockets-Thunder. Maybe I was hearing the scoring complaints in my sleep.

Clippers just picked up Turk. I haven't seen much of him since that one good year in Orlando. I'm not sure if this is a good move or not.

They still need a bigger body in the paint though. DJ is getting really good defensively but I don't think it's going to be enough come playoff time.

He's looked done for years and the last time i saw him he was pretty chubby.

They'll probably just end up cutting him like they did Jackson.

Here's a picture from today's Pistons/Jazz game:

2014-01-17-19.08.46.jpg

Reports say that the meager crowd at The Palace was about a 50/50 split of Pistons apparel and UM/Jazz Burke apparel. The Pistons ended up getting shelled by 30 at home.

There isn't much doubt now that Joe Dumars latest blunder will cost him his job. You look at the his resume and the 3 major mistakes that are going to be remembered by Pistons fans 30 years from now are:

- Drafting Darko over Carmelo, Wade, and Bosh and turned what could have been a dynasty into a magical one-year run.

- Trading Chauncey Billups (instead of a fading Richard Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince) for a washed up Allen Iverson, as Billups was set to have his number retired by the Pistons.

- Drafting Kentavious Caldwell-Pope over Trey Burke, considering the need of the franchise to get people interested and talking about the Pistons again... Then you have the NCAA POY PG (a position of need) who resurrected the in-state school inexplicably fall in the draft to you AND YOU PASS ON HIM?!?! As if that's not bad enough, you have the audacity to compare your decision to the Pacers drafting Reggie Miller over Steve Alford? GTFO.

(Yes, there is also the Ben Gordon/Charlie Villanueva signing debacle, but bad FA signings tend to be forgotten much quicker than poor drafting)

So next year, Dumars will be gone, but the Pistons will be left in total disarray. Heck, in what will be the strongest draft in the last decade, they likely won't even have a first round pick (top 8 protected). They had to ship that pick off to Charlotte for them to eat the rest of Ben Gordon's contract. Genius!

I guess the point is that I'm done. Growing up, I was a die-hard Pistons fan, even through the teal years. But after they passed on Burke, I swore they weren't going to see a dollar from me until I saw how it was going to play out. Well, I'm ready for a permanent divorce. At least the Lions drafted players like Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suh when they had the chance. It's hard to forgive a franchise that screws even that part up.

Here's a picture from today's Pistons/Jazz game:

2014-01-17-19.08.46.jpg

Reports say that the meager crowd at The Palace was about a 50/50 split of Pistons apparel and UM/Jazz Burke apparel. The Pistons ended up getting shelled by 30 at home.

There isn't much doubt now that Joe Dumars latest blunder will cost him his job. You look at the his resume and the 3 major mistakes that are going to be remembered by Pistons fans 30 years from now are:

- Drafting Darko over Carmelo, Wade, and Bosh and turned what could have been a dynasty into a magical one-year run.

- Trading Chauncey Billups (instead of a fading Richard Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince) for a washed up Allen Iverson, as Billups was set to have his number retired by the Pistons.

- Drafting Kentavious Caldwell-Pope over Trey Burke, considering the need of the franchise to get people interested and talking about the Pistons again... Then you have the NCAA POY PG (a position of need) who resurrected the in-state school inexplicably fall in the draft to you AND YOU PASS ON HIM?!?! As if that's not bad enough, you have the audacity to compare your decision to the Pacers drafting Reggie Miller over Steve Alford? GTFO.

(Yes, there is also the Ben Gordon/Charlie Villanueva signing debacle, but bad FA signings tend to be forgotten much quicker than poor drafting)

So next year, Dumars will be gone, but the Pistons will be left in total disarray. Heck, in what will be the strongest draft in the last decade, they likely won't even have a first round pick (top 8 protected). They had to ship that pick off to Charlotte for them to eat the rest of Ben Gordon's contract. Genius!

I guess the point is that I'm done. Growing up, I was a die-hard Pistons fan, even through the teal years. But after they passed on Burke, I swore they weren't going to see a dollar from me until I saw how it was going to play out. Well, I'm ready for a permanent divorce. At least the Lions drafted players like Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson and Ndamukong Suh when they had the chance. It's hard to forgive a franchise that screws even that part up.

Yea, that's rough. I can't understand the reasoning of some front-office executives--to see a team you root for pass up talent, especially local talent, must be unbearable.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but as a Jazz fan myself, Trey Burke has had perhaps the largest impact on Utah this year. The team has also come together and is playing .500 ball (13-13 as of this post) since starting 1-14, when Burke was out with a broken finger. Also, true to the Ty Corbin Era, another vet (Marvin Williams) has had a renaissance of sorts. I just hope they can keep Marvin and the young guys (contract year for Gordon Hayward!) for more than a couple of years.

Also, Ty Corbin (contract year as well!) is also making his case to be Utah's long-term coach with the development of the team. I didn't expect the Jazz to be doing this well nor did I think Ty would remain the coach in November. And I'm glad that Utah's management has stuck to their guns in keeping Corbin around--at least until season's end.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/10/30/5043420/detroit-pistons-auburn-hills-profileHave you read this? It's long, but worth it. Quite interesting.

I hadn't read that specific article, but it pretty much nails it. While my frustration is all on the court and while The Palace is relatively close to me (only the Silverdome is closer, so that isn't the problem), the thing is, I would rather travel the extra time and go down to the city. If I'm going to a Tigers or Wings game (even though the Joe is a dump and a nightmare to get in/out of), I can meet friends for dinner in Greektown, we can walk to the game, and then go get a drink or bite after. You can make a day of it. With the Pistons, I (honestly) meet up at the Culver's up the road a half hour before tip off, eat, leave our cars, and then head over to The Palace. Sure, there's the Post Bar across the street, but it's usually completely crazy because it's basically the only establishment in the near vicinity and I sort of hate it. The Palace is great for concerts and shows and is a really nice arena, but it's just an awful all-around experience for a professional sporting event...

On a side bar, one of the things I'm most excited about is the "all hands on deck" view taken on by my fellow Motor City Millenials. They want to spend their time and money in Detroit. I've had about 5 or 6 friends (all of whom were born and raised in the boonies) move into the city limits over the last year and a half. I'm moving to the Royal Oak area next month. Honestly, just seeing young people care about their city and wanting to spend time there is an important first step in getting our city back on its feet after it's been kicked down and exploited for decades. Sure, Detroit still has more than it's share of problems, but not turning our backs on the city is a big change when compared to the last 40 years.

Unfortunately, I don't see the Pistons moving back downtown any time soon. The best bet would have been the Illitch family buying the Pistons when Mr. Davidson passed away, then putting both the Pistons and Wings in New Olympia. But with Gorges paying a hefty sum for Palace Sports & Entertainment (the Pistons were basically a throw-in with the arena), it's not going to happen anytime soon. In fact, I think there's a better chance they pack up and leave Michigan all together before they go back within city limits, which is a shame.

Yea, that's rough. I can't understand the reasoning of some front-office executives--to see a team you root for pass up talent, especially local talent, must be unbearable.

Not to rub salt in the wound, but as a Jazz fan myself, Trey Burke has had perhaps the largest impact on Utah this year. The team has also come together and is playing .500 ball (13-13 as of this post) since starting 1-14, when Burke was out with a broken finger. Also, true to the Ty Corbin Era, another vet (Marvin Williams) has had a renaissance of sorts. I just hope they can keep Marvin and the young guys (contract year for Gordon Hayward!) for more than a couple of years.

Also, Ty Corbin (contract year as well!) is also making his case to be Utah's long-term coach with the development of the team. I didn't expect the Jazz to be doing this well nor did I think Ty would remain the coach in November. And I'm glad that Utah's management has stuck to their guns in keeping Corbin around--at least until season's end.

No worries, I'll probably be as much of a passive Jazz fan over the next decade as I will be a passive Pistons fan. You guys just need to keep Derrick Favours around for a while... and while you're at it, maybe you should call up Dumars and try to snake oil away Andre Drummond from the Pistons before they get someone competent up in management.

You are probably right. He played about 6 minutes and scored a bucket which is more than I expected from him tonight.

As far as the game goes Blake had another monster performance to lead the team on this Grammy trip. The team as a whole is 6-1 since CP3 has been gone. Can't ask for more than that. The guys are really stepping up out there.

Kevin Durant put on a show tonight. 54 points against the Warriors in a close one where Curry also put up 37. Crazy.

You are probably right. He played about 6 minutes and scored a bucket which is more than I expected from him tonight.

As far as the game goes Blake had another monster performance to lead the team on this Grammy trip. The team as a whole is 6-1 since CP3 has been gone. Can't ask for more than that. The guys are really stepping up out there.

Kevin Durant put on a show tonight. 54 points against the Warriors in a close one where Curry also put up 37. Crazy.

Yeah, I was 'bout to say that that was a damn good game to watch. Hats off to both of them, they're going to be fun to watch in the playoffs.

As for the Wizards, we won again last night against the Bulls, which now has set us up with potentially a home playoff series, that would be awesome for a franchise that hasn't been competitive in years.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

I think the Blake-for-Melo rumors can be put to rest now. I was honestly shocked that Melo had a 20/20 game, since it was so unimpactful and he shot 4-23 from the floor.

Likely loss coming up against the Pacers (no CP3, road game, second night of a back-to-back) so that win last night was definitely needed.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I think the Blake-for-Melo rumors can be put to rest now. I was honestly shocked that Melo had a 20/20 game, since it was so unimpactful and he shot 4-23 from the floor.

Likely loss coming up against the Pacers (no CP3, road game, second night of a back-to-back) so that win last night was definitely needed.

I never understood why that was even a rumor in the first place. It made no sense for the Clips and what they are building there.

You called it man. They got blasted by the Pacers last night. That is a team they need to be 100% healthy against. They were also victim to one of the sickest in-game dunks ever by George.

Detroit put on a clinic of how to play interior defense tonight:

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived