NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

I think they HAVE to be holding off on Anthony Davis so that Adam Silver can announce him as the replacement starter for Kobe Bryant. It'd be a HHHHUUUGGGGEEEE oversight if for all the effort they've put into the New Orleans market with the rebranding, the All-Star Game, and just the fact that they even kept the team there, that the #1 pick whose had a breakout year wouldn't be in the game.

Although on another note, the f*** is Joe Johnson doing there?

James Harden or Chris Paul should be replacing Kobe as starter, Davis should be on the bench. No way the take 4 forwards into the All-Star game. Also, Paul & Harden should've been starting instead of Kobe & Curry from the beginning.

They did a pretty bad job of selecting the starting lineups, but the got most of the other guys as reserves, really no one that comes to my mind that should've been selected that got snubbed. Joe Johnson is a bit questionable though.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Paul might still be injured by the time the game comes around, so I imagine the league bumps Harden up, then adds Davis to the roster.

Also, for those of you who love the stat PER (Player Efficiency Rating), Joe Johnson is the only All-Star with a PER below 15. 15 PER is supposed to be the league average.

And that Pacers loss makes 10 for everyone, and it's not even February. Another year of false hope for 73 wins gone by. Maybe someday people will appreciate how hard 72-10 was for the Bulls, even if it didn't look that way.

People don't appreciate it? That 95-96 Bulls team is instantly deferred to as being the greatest ever, perhaps even more so than is reasonable. Teams have come reasonably close to matching 72 wins ('72 Lakers, '07 Mavs, '08 Celtics, '09 Cavs, '13 Heat), but no one would compare any of them to those Bulls.

Well Kobe was elected as a starter, so the question to ask is which reserve do you promote to replace him, enabling Davis to get a reserve spot? Or does Silver immediately upgrade Davis to Kobe's starting position?

This came up last year. Rondo was voted as a starter, but couldn't play due to injury. Stern selected Brook Lopez as a replacement. Erik Spoelstra upgraded Chris Bosh from a reserve to a starter. It's up to Adam Silver to select a replacement player, and it's up to Scott Brooks who starts in Kobe's place.

PJU85JF.png

And that Pacers loss makes 10 for everyone, and it's not even February. Another year of false hope for 73 wins gone by. Maybe someday people will appreciate how hard 72-10 was for the Bulls, even if it didn't look that way.

72-10 will never even come close to happening again. That was the perfect storm of a dominant team, a league watered down by two new expansion teams, and the shortened three-point line.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

People don't appreciate it? That 95-96 Bulls team is instantly deferred to as being the greatest ever, perhaps even more so than is reasonable. Teams have come reasonably close to matching 72 wins ('72 Lakers, '07 Mavs, '08 Celtics, '09 Cavs, '13 Heat), but no one would compare any of them to those Bulls.

Was it last year's 2K game ads that had asked celebs and players what the best team of all time was? Notable for Mr. Raptor Drake claiming the 2011 Heat. Yes, the runner up.

Beyond that, experts regularly predict that some team will win 73. The Heat recently, the Lakers, the Mavs and Cavs in the past. I had a list somewhere. One time a writer said there would be "a three-team assault" on the record. Three teams! And these aren't Skip Bayless types, but legitimate NBA writers who apparently don't pay attention to the game they cover. If they did, they'd know in most years every team has 10 losses by the All-Star game.

Pet peeve of mine.

Regarding the 1996 Chicago Bulls, I totally agree with Lights Out in that their record was inflated a bit because of the shortening of the 3-point line and the addition of the Canadian teams, not to mention that the Eastern Conference that year was basically Bulls, Magic and then everyone else...and Chicago still swept Orlando that year. Adding to the 3-point line, it was the 2nd of three years the NBA had shortened the line, in response to the Knicks defensive tactics throughout the 1994 season. I'm willing to bet that some of those 3-pointers taken by Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith and Mario Elie throughout 1995 would have been long 2-pointers in a normal line. Who knows if those 1996 Bulls would have won 72 games or even the 1997 team would have gotten 69 wins normally, but the shortening of the line certainly did help.

Personally, the 1986 Celtics or 1987 Lakers deserve more merit for being the greatest single-season NBA team of all time, for their competition being stiffer, for playing under more defensive-friendly rules than those Bulls did, and for actually having a normal-sized arc line.

Regarding the 1996 Chicago Bulls, I totally agree with Lights Out in that their record was inflated a bit because of the shortening of the 3-point line and the addition of the Canadian teams, not to mention that the Eastern Conference that year was basically Bulls, Magic and then everyone else...and Chicago still swept Orlando that year. Adding to the 3-point line, it was the 2nd of three years the NBA had shortened the line, in response to the Knicks defensive tactics throughout the 1994 season. I'm willing to bet that some of those 3-pointers taken by Robert Horry, Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith and Mario Elie throughout 1995 would have been long 2-pointers in a normal line. Who knows if those 1996 Bulls would have won 72 games or even the 1997 team would have gotten 69 wins normally, but the shortening of the line certainly did help.

Personally, the 1986 Celtics or 1987 Lakers deserve more merit for being the greatest single-season NBA team of all time, for their competition being stiffer, for playing under more defensive-friendly rules than those Bulls did, and for actually having a normal-sized arc line.

Kanye-West-Clapping.gif

This surprised me. But I couldn't agree more.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Yes, but neither Larry Bird nor Magic Johnson is a hyper-competitive sadist. Michael Jordan is. Which is the difference right there.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The irony is the Bulls dropped one to the Raptors that season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Even in a loss I'm proud as hell of the Clippers thus far. They are really keeping this ship afloat while the captain is gone. As much as CP3 would be that closer they need in close games like last night against the Heat, they are really showing how good they can be. I don't care what anyone says, Griffin IS a superstar. He did everything tonight and has been all year. I would prefer a win but I'm a glass half full kind of guy and I see good things for this squad.

Archived