NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've always been more impressed by the 85-86 Celtics going 50-1 at home than I have of the Bulls' 72-10.

That is an impressive record (but are you counting playoffs?) And one that I wanted those Bulls to top, then match.

Going into April 1996, the Bulls were undefeated at home, then lost to Charlotte with around 4 home games left, and then lost to the Pacers in their final home game, ending up at 39-2 and also preventing a single-digit loss total overall. A bit of a "slump" down the stretch. It worked out just fine, though.

I think I've always been more impressed by the 85-86 Celtics going 50-1 at home than I have of the Bulls' 72-10.

That is an impressive record (but are you counting playoffs?) And one that I wanted those Bulls to top, then match.

Going into April 1996, the Bulls were undefeated at home, then lost to Charlotte with around 4 home games left, and then lost to the Pacers in their final home game, ending up at 39-2 and also preventing a single-digit loss total overall. A bit of a "slump" down the stretch. It worked out just fine, though.

That was including playoffs, where the Celtics went 10-0 in the Garden.

PvO6ZWJ.png

According to ESPN, sources are saying that Terrence Ross, Paul George, John Wall, and Damian Lillard will participate in this year's Dunk Contest.

Once again, candy-ass LeBron puts his image and status over the good of the NBA.

Kobe hasn't done a dunk contest since 1997, but at least he did one.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The yearly exaggerated outrage over LeBron not doing the dunk contest never gets old. Tim Duncan has never done the dunk contest either, I don't see anyone whining about that.

Who would ever want to see Duncan in a dunk contest? I feel like his go-to move would be a layup.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The yearly exaggerated outrage over LeBron not doing the dunk contest never gets old. Tim Duncan has never done the dunk contest either, I don't see anyone whining about that.

Tim Duncan doesn't call himself a "king", either.

LeBron's scared that he might lose a "man vs. man" contest. No other way to see it.

Tim Duncan doesn't call himself a "king", either.

LeBron's scared that he might lose a "man vs. man" contest. No other way to see it.

I have a feeling he'd get a 10 no matter what kind of crappy dunk he did.

twitter

Who would ever want to see Duncan in a dunk contest? I feel like his go-to move would be a layup.

It's not like LeBron's particularly creative with his dunks either. He almost always just does a tomahawk dunk.

Honestly, the dunk contest is pretty much dead anyway... everything's been done to death already and there's only so many times you can see the same dunks with slightly different props every year before it gets old.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The dunk contest is dying/dead because the league's top players don't participate (and don't say Lilliard or George are superstars....those two aren't moving the meter or selling tickets).

Was it last year that one of the dunk participants had a grand total of zero dunks during the first half of the season, and another player had like 5?

I recently watched a dunk contest where Michael Jordan and Dominique Wilkins, and other big names, participated. They weren't afraid of one-on-one competition and they also knew that just their participation would help the NBA. Today's superstars shy away from one-on-one duels because they're afraid they might lose and hurt their image. LeBron's the biggest offender of that. He even turned down Magic Johnson's million dollar offer just to participate because he's too much of a coward and a wimp to be a part of a competition that he might lose. Doesn't want to do anything that might tarnish his self-given "king" nickname.

Show of hands...who's watching the dunk contest if LeBron and Durant are in the event?

Like all suburban white kids I had a friend who had a basketball hoop in his backyard that you could lower to seven feet and we had dunk contests. That was in the 90's and outside of props and cars and superman costumes (which wasn't even a dunk. He threw the ball into the basket) the trick dunks haven't evolved since then.

I think we've plateaued with what is possible for a human to do with a ball and a basketball hoop.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Like all suburban white kids I had a friend who had a basketball hoop in his backyard that you could lower to seven feet and we had dunk contests. That was in the 90's and outside of props and cars and superman costumes (which wasn't even a dunk. He threw the ball into the basket) the trick dunks haven't evolved since then.

I think we've plateaued with what is possible for a human to do with a ball and a basketball hoop.

That's the big problem with the contest. Everything's been done.

I think they should have started doing it about every 5 years starting some time in teh 90s.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So no superstars will be participating. Only LeBron James is looked upon negatively for this. Imagine that.

What does he gave to gain? Say he did enter it. The people chastising him for never participating are now clamoring for him to lose. Say he does win. Here come the same people. "Beat a bunch of nobodies," "Jordan could still dunk better," "RIGGED!!!!!!11"

PJU85JF.png

So no superstars will be participating. Only LeBron James is looked upon negatively for this. Imagine that.

What does he gave to gain? Say he did enter it. The people chastising him for never participating are now clamoring for him to lose. Say he does win. Here come the same people. "Beat a bunch of nobodies," "Jordan could still dunk better," "RIGGED!!!!!!11"

It's not just Lebron. It's that all the best players sit out. Those guys in the 80's were so competitive they would never back down from a challenge.

Now they're all best friends and competing against one another for an exhibition is uncool.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Does Tim Duncan even need to jump for a dunk? He could just hop his way for a slam; he jumps for one and would probably hit his head on the rim.

Archived