NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

Wait ... what? That was it? Is Wall considered the official winner, or all the Eastern guys? Just go back to scoring the first dunk and voting on the second.

I enjoyed the night as a whole. The dunk contest was so awkward.

I agree with you on the dunk contest. I am still confused on who would be recognized as the official winner of this dunk contest. Team East or Wall?

Though I personally hated the changes and found it boring but to each their own.

The NBA website is referring to the East as the winning team and Wall as the dunker of the night. He'll be remembered as the winner, even if that isn't the "official" result. I don't know what Magic Johnson was talking about in his assessment of Wall. The "dunk contest is back?" The contestants were all good, but the format ruined it.

I actually like the East vs. West approach for most events. It creates a rooting interest when there otherwise wouldn't be one. They should drop it for the dunk contest. It doesn't make any sense there.

Hoping for a 1v1 or 3v3 tournament sometime in the future.

PJU85JF.png

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wall hitting the dunk on the first try made such a big difference. Some of the dunks were great, but needed three tries. The awe is taken away once you've seen it missed.

The freestyle should just be renamed "warmups" and don't bother awarding points for it. One more round of head to head would also have helped at the end, even though I hesitate to encourage making "made for TV events gone bad" longer.

Nick Cannon was a problem. He was confusing, seemed lost at times, and added nothing. With some of the changes, a better guide for the viewers was needed. Someone more professional, especially since the analysts already ramble and talk all over each other. Kevin Harlan even thought Cannon forgot to name the best dunker and "spoiled" it right before the official announcement.

The added money balls were a factor -Belinelli needed them to get out of the first round - but I didn't mind it.

I didn't tune in early enough to see the rest.

That's it? Wow, this was a truly terrible excuse for a dunk contest. Even The Wheel was better than that.

I have to agree with you on that. The only thing from All-Star Saturday I enjoyed was the celebrity game.

That was on Friday. What did you really mean?

I enjoyed all of it except the dunk contest, can we just have an 8-man tournament and call it a deal? Seriously, you can't bring the dunk contest "back" in that format, no wonder LeBron ain't doin it. The dunks themselves were a lot better than the past couple, but it was basically just everyone 1-upping each other, the person that went second had the advantage. Wall's was by far the best because he nailed it first try, all the other dunks really lose their novelty when you miss it 1-2 times before. Hitting it first time keeps that novelty. And the format that rewarded the "East" and no technical champion, although by all doubt we're pretty sure Wall won.

Just a thought: What if they gave out money to the winners of the All-Star events? Say maybe 40 for the Shooting Stars and Skills Challenge, 45 for the 3-PT, and 50 for the Dunk Contest. That way you get a clear winner between East and West, and it's extra motivation for some players who might not have the biggest contract or might not have any incentives thrown into their deal (Shoe endorsements, ads, etc.)

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

That's it? Wow, this was a truly terrible excuse for a dunk contest. Even The Wheel was better than that.

I have to agree with you on that. The only thing from All-Star Saturday I enjoyed was the celebrity game.

That was on Friday. What did you really mean?

I enjoyed all of it except the dunk contest, can we just have an 8-man tournament and call it a deal? Seriously, you can't bring the dunk contest "back" in that format, no wonder LeBron ain't doin it. The dunks themselves were a lot better than the past couple, but it was basically just everyone 1-upping each other, the person that went second had the advantage. Wall's was by far the best because he nailed it first try, all the other dunks really lose their novelty when you miss it 1-2 times before. Hitting it first time keeps that novelty. And the format that rewarded the "East" and no technical champion, although by all doubt we're pretty sure Wall won.

Just a thought: What if they gave out money to the winners of the All-Star events? Say maybe 40 for the Shooting Stars and Skills Challenge, 45 for the 3-PT, and 50 for the Dunk Contest. That way you get a clear winner between East and West, and it's extra motivation for some players who might not have the biggest contract or might not have any incentives thrown into their deal (Shoe endorsements, ads, etc.)

It was on Friday, I'm sorry. Still, the entire weekend is disappointing so far outside the celebrity game.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Well, that was a frustrating performance by the West. Thanks, Durant and Harden, for going hero mode at the end and choking the game away. I've never seen anyone try harder for an award as meaningless as the All-Star MVP than Durant. :rolleyes:

Blake set the All-Star Game record for made field goals and dropped 38, so that was fun to watch at least.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

A local HS team manager with Down's syndrome wan put into a game and hit 4-5 three pointers.

The Sixers literally signed him to a contract (2-day contract) and brought him out with the starters. Hey probably would have played except they're trying to tank and he's better than what they have.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-philadelphia-sixers/kevin-grow-caps-whirlwind-time-sixers

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sixers trade Evan Turner to pacers for Danny Granger. They also trade a lot of crap for a million second round picks over the next few years. Goal continues to be to tnak the season, get a top 3 pick, then have that player debut with a healthy Nerlans Noel and Granger next season or get rid of granger.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hey he contributed more to the Sixers than Andrew Bynum

A piece of gum I scraped off my shoe contributed more to the Sixers than Andrew Bynum.

One of the sixers even commented to him "we had another #33 here last year... didn't actually show up though" (or something like that)

This could actually be fun. Space Jam was a big reason why I became a basketball fan. If this could do the same to another generation of kids, I'm all for it. The only questions to me are, do the Monstars make a return, and who else from the NBA makes an appearance?

This could actually be fun. Space Jam was a big reason why I became a basketball fan. If this could do the same to another generation of kids, I'm all for it. The only questions to me are, do the Monstars make a return, and who else from the NBA makes an appearance?

Same for me. I was a kid, so Space Jam was my first exposure to NBA, and it jumpstarted my interest in what would become my favorite league. I've always loved how personality-driven and fun the NBA is, and Space Jam epitomizes that impression for me.

People around my age seem pretty averse to the idea, but we aren't the target market. It's for kids who have never seen the original and think of Michael Jordan as the Hanes guy. I'm sure I'll end up taking my nephews to see it. I hope there's a sequel for every generation of basketball fans.

PJU85JF.png

Archived