NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

Last night was my first time watching a Clippers/ESPN broadcast, and I'm a Nuggets fan so this may be just me having blinders on, but do the ESPN broadcasters normally worship Blake Griffin for the entire game like that? It was non-stop "Blake Griffin never retaliates to the mean bullies who push him around all the time. He is such a smart guy. Yay Blake!" Then they followed that up with 3 minutes of highlights from previous games where Blake Griffin got fouled. And they did this at least 3 or 4 times. It almost made the game unbearable to watch.

And I like Blake Griffin, he is a great player and he seems like a good guy.

Pretty much, yeah. Besides the times that they play Miami.

But there is something to talk about with Griffin though, and the Clipper fans are right, the guy really has improved a bunch on both sides of the ball, now he's not "Just a dunker that can't hit his free throws". He's starting to finally live up to his potential which is fun to watch.

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night was my first time watching a Clippers/ESPN broadcast, and I'm a Nuggets fan so this may be just me having blinders on, but do the ESPN broadcasters normally worship Blake Griffin for the entire game like that? It was non-stop "Blake Griffin never retaliates to the mean bullies who push him around all the time. He is such a smart guy. Yay Blake!" Then they followed that up with 3 minutes of highlights from previous games where Blake Griffin got fouled. And they did this at least 3 or 4 times. It almost made the game unbearable to watch.

And I like Blake Griffin, he is a great player and he seems like a good guy.

Actually, the media bashed him a lot until recently. I do think the whole talking point about the hard fouls he takes is really boring and annoying, but that's modern-day sports media for you: a constant regurgitation of boring and annoying talking points.

There is no local LA media that covers the Clippers, so national media is pretty much all we get.

Not really true anymore - Dan Woike (OC Register), Broderick Turner (LA Times), and Arash Markazi (ESPN LA) all do a good job of covering the Clippers.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

He's never been an executive. Having success in one aspect of basketball doesn't guarantee success in another. Look at Michael Jordan.

Jackson wants Steve Kerr to coach the Knicks, reportedly. It'd be a shame to lose him from the TNT games. Marv Albert and Kerr are one of the few bearable NBA broadcast teams.

PJU85JF.png

He's never been an executive. Having success in one aspect of basketball doesn't guarantee success in another. Look at Michael Jordan.

That's a bad example to use as the transition from player to making personnel decisions is two completely different worlds and one in which Jordan likely had zero experience in aside from maybe having his opinion asked regarding some moves. Phil Jackson has experience in dealing with the personnel side of things, even if not directly, and I would have to imagine he was consulted on most, if not all, of the roster moves during his time in Los Angeles.

IUe6Hvh.png

There is no local LA media that covers the Clippers, so national media is pretty much all we get.

Yes and no. Like LO mentioned there are several writers that have done a fine job covering the team. The Clippers also have a decent home on TV as well. What they don't have and what I would love is a dedicated talk radio station. The Lakers have ESPN LA 710 that have some of the best on air stuff, but sadly for me it's Laker centric. Really, they talk all LA sports except for Sparks and Clipper basketball. Lame.

Sometimes they talk Clips but it's only when they are scheduled to play each other. Or whenever the CP3 thing pops up, because apparently they would suck less with him on the team. The Clippers games are broadcasted on AM 980 but nothing else. It would be great to have shows and radio personalities dedicated to Clipper news and basketball.

I wouldn't doubt Jackson as much as I doubt the Knicks. They have no assets, draft picks, or cap room.

You're right. I think because of his past success (granted, in a different position within an organization and none of them were dumpster fires before he got there) he's going to be up against some impossible expectations.

IUe6Hvh.png

not so sure about that, but the Leafs must be impressed that their little brothers also know how to blow games they had in the bag.

I am disappointed that the Raptors lost that one. However; if that performance doesn't guarantee Kevin Durant the MVP honour, than the NBA should cease existing. Oh yeah and how was Kyle Lowry not an All-Star?

1zqy8ok.gif

We're at the point where the federal government should step in and put limits on how much a city can blow on these stupid stadiums. Owners make things like the salary cap to protect themselves, so we should let cities and counties protect themselves, too. It's never in the city's best interest to pay for stadiums.

Why would you doubt him?

Because the Knicks are gonna knack

Yes, but will Phil Jackson paddywhack?

Oh, and the Bulls think Derrick Rose is coming back for the postseason. I have my doubts personally, but then again, I thought Dwanye Wade to Chicago was a done deal myself.

Archived