NBA 2013-14 Season Thread

TJKiddsHead

Was doing a bunch of homework tonight, but had the game on in the background and watched an alright amount of it. Here's what I thought:

From a Not-a-Bulls-fan-but-I-watch-them-sometimes-with-occasional-interest, here are my thoughts about the Bulls game tonight:

- the Heat remain good

- the Bulls bench sucks ass

- Jimmy Butler looks like a potted plant

- Carlos Boozer is bad. Scoring only keeps him on the floor, which is a bad thing.

- Derrick Rose something something

- Kirk Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy Jr are the whitest players in the NBA

-Nothing to argue with here. There are a few teams that have a chance to take them down (the Bulls are one of them) but IMO you'd have to be crazy to put money on anyone else to win the title

-Dunleavy has one job and it's to hit 3s. He's been cold, but he should be alright doing just that. Gibson can play D and score a little bit, he's great for when the Bulls are up late in the game. Not gonna comment on Hinrich because I didn't pay much attention tonight, but he can still shoot so he'll be alright. Nazr Mohammed is just a big body. Tony Snell might be able to contribute some quality minutes later in the season, but he's just not there yet.

-Yup. Boozer can score, but can't play a lick of defense. I guess that's why you have Gibson for late in the game, but he can really kill you on defense sometimes.

-Rose will be fine after a little while. He had a great preseason, so I'm not worried too much. I'm really excited to see if he can shoot as well now as I've heard.

-That's why people in Chicago love them.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm no doof good sir. Try to refrain from the name calling, thanks.

Oh and no worries I will very much enjoy the present and the future as well. The superiority complex some of you laker fans have is astounding. You can't admit that the future isn't looking bright for the lakers then turn around and say the clippers aren't for real. Can't have it both ways. As it stands the clippers do have the better squad this year, don't be fooled by one game. The banners mean nothing at this point, it's all about now and I believe the team talking about rings in LA will be the clippers.

I call you a doof with the utmost endearing respect, old sport.

Did you not read the entirety of my post? I said I'm not under any delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers this season. Trust me, I understand that. This particular year does not look bright for the Lakers. You are correct.

However, if there's anything to be taken out of Laker history that applies to right now, it's that the down periods do not last that long. This is a franchise that has been able to flip their fortunes right back into championship contention, almost more than any other. I'm not saying that's this year, or even next year with all the cap space and free agents coming up. But in two or three years, everything will be right back where it has been. You were right in saying its the natural cycle of sports. The Clippers will come back down, like always, and the Lakers will rise back up, as always.

Talk about rings all you want. You've got to win them, first. And trust me when I say that if the Clippers do win a ring, I will be at the front of the line to shake your hand and congratulate you on a job well done. Until then, we can just continue to talk about it, I guess.

---

Full season's worth? Nah. I'll only pull it out at the appropriate times. Like when the Lakers' "JV squad" and bench runs over the "new culture" and "championship contender" Clippers in the season opener. (Must've been the glare from the golden banners. Clippers aren't used to it anymore. :upside: )

Trust me, I'm not under any sort of delusion that the Lakers will ultimately finish ahead of the Clippers. If this Lakers team makes the playoffs, it'll be a mammoth achievement for this group, but still ultimately disappointing because these are the Lakers, dammit. Just making the playoffs isn't something to pat themselves on the back for. It's championship or bust for this franchise, and this season is going to be more bust. I don't like it, but I understand it. I've got to enjoy the little things, like reminding the Clippers they've still got a ways to go.

And Cardinal-like fanisms? Come now, Andy. You know I only speak truths. ;)

I wouldn't go so far as to say Clippers > Lakers, but that's beside the point. I know it's kind of Laker fan duty to point out that the Clippers are the ginger-haired bastard team of that city, but I can only take so much homerism. I don't really like the Clippers that much, but I can tell you take such sincere pleasure in seeing them "being put in their place" that it gives me that old-fashioned Cardinals humblebrag chill. Makes my nutsack fill with blood and now I have to go to the hospital.

I guess my only question, Andy, is... am I wrong? ;)

I look foward to that day, I really do.

For me it comes down to the constant bashing for bashing sake(BFBS LOL). I get it the clippers were a joke but now that things are looking up, let us have the moment. You can't possibly make clippers only pay rent jokes when there is a strong chance the lakers won't get into the dance. I know you acknowledged that so I'm not gonna lie and say you didn't, but it is all the more perplexing that you do throw that "we run LA" stuff knowing the current state of the team. That's all I'm saying. Throw a brother a bone lol. If all that cycle stuff is true you will have ample time to kick us down, just not now.

Was doing a bunch of homework tonight, but had the game on in the background and watched an alright amount of it. Here's what I thought:

From a Not-a-Bulls-fan-but-I-watch-them-sometimes-with-occasional-interest, here are my thoughts about the Bulls game tonight:

- the Heat remain good

- the Bulls bench sucks ass

- Jimmy Butler looks like a potted plant

- Carlos Boozer is bad. Scoring only keeps him on the floor, which is a bad thing.

- Derrick Rose something something

- Kirk Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy Jr are the whitest players in the NBA

-Nothing to argue with here. There are a few teams that have a chance to take them down (the Bulls are one of them) but IMO you'd have to be crazy to put money on anyone else to win the title

-Dunleavy has one job and it's to hit 3s. He's been cold, but he should be alright doing just that. Gibson can play D and score a little bit, he's great for when the Bulls are up late in the game. Not gonna comment on Hinrich because I didn't pay much attention tonight, but he can still shoot so he'll be alright. Nazr Mohammed is just a big body. Tony Snell might be able to contribute some quality minutes later in the season, but he's just not there yet.

-Yup. Boozer can score, but can't play a lick of defense. I guess that's why you have Gibson for late in the game, but he can really kill you on defense sometimes.

-Rose will be fine after a little while. He had a great preseason, so I'm not worried too much. I'm really excited to see if he can shoot as well now as I've heard.

-That's why people in Chicago love them.

I never saw the logic in re-acquiring Hinrich. He is hurt like friggin' clockwork. Robinson wanted to stay, but drafting Snell and handing cash to Dunleavy pretty much sealed that book shut, much to the chagrin of the Bulls backcourt.

And your primary depth is Nazr Mohammed? Oh God. I know there's a lot of tumult with the Bulls cap situation due to a couple contracts, but sweet bike-riding Christ. You've got your star player coming off an injury that cost him an entire season, a center who's battled constant injury, and then there's Kirk Hinrich. Hello.

Anyways, Rose missing every goddamn shot and the team's best defenders getting in foul trouble lost them this game. Plus Miami is good.

I guess my only question, Andy, is... am I wrong? ;)

No, it's just like I said on BASS many, many moons ago:

The first LeBron/Wade/Bosh season had the following players on the roster:

Guards: Carlos Arroyo (game 1 starter and played 49 games), Mike Bibby, Eddie House, Mike Miller

F/C:James Jones, Jamaal Magloire, Erick Dampier and Zydrunas Ilgauskas

Those have been replaced with....

Guards: Ray Allen, Norris Cole,

F/C; Shane Battier, Greg Oden, Michael Beasley, Greg Anderson, Rashard Lewis

They have more talent and experience than they had in the 2010-11 season. Wade's knee is most likely what is their biggest concern.

I forgot about Greg Oden. Man I hope he can put together some sliver of a career. He is a good dude with the worst luck so I'm rooting for him. Maybe his luck isn't so bad since he got picked up by the championship favorites. He might just fall into a ring without ever playing a second.

I forgot about Greg Oden. Man I hope he can put together some sliver of a career. He is a good dude with the worst luck so I'm rooting for him. Maybe his luck isn't so bad since he got picked up by the championship favorites. He might just fall into a ring without ever playing a second.

It is not about Oden; it is about how much better the Heat roster has gotten in three seasons, how much better LeBron has gotten and how much better "Filipino Jackson" aka Erik Spoelstra has gotten as HC. There are only four current NBA coaches who have won titles (Spoelstra, Rivers, Carlisle and Popovich). Winning is hard and at least in the NBA, the time of a retreat coach is going away sooner than later. Mo Cheeks may be the last one not hired on an interim basis, unless this new generation of coaches become the "new retreads", but Mike Iavaroni, Sam Mitchell, Jay Triano have yet to get chance #2,but Terry Stotts is on #3.

I don't see how Oden's a "feel-good" story. The only reason he's on the damn team is because legit bigs around the NBA can disrupt the Heat in a terribad way. Oden was a bad pick who's had an insanely forgettable career. He's going to get hurt again. He'll probably get released at some point during the season.

Let's say the Heat win another title. Even if he's healthy and plays maybe 6 minutes a game later down the stretch it's still stupid. Congratulations, Greg. You disappointed multiple franchises before getting acquired via the veteran minimum where you were asked to do the bare minimum. The short-sighted media and fringe fans of theirs will call his career a success while a guy like Reggie Miller's was a "total failure."

I wouldn't say Oden is a "feel-good" story, but I do feel bad for him considering how his knees have failed him repeatedly and will continue to fail him for the rest of his career. Then I remember he's a multi-millionaire and my feeling-sorry-for-him thinking disappears... LIKE THE CLIPPERS DID IN THE 4TH!

Good gracious, sorry but that felt good. After hearing all of the smack talk by Clipper fans (and ex-Laker fans) only to have the Lakers out play, out hustle and out score the Clippers was excellent.

Like Mighty, I have realistic expectations for the Lakers this year, but this win was still nice.

I wouldn't say Oden is a "feel-good" story, but I do feel bad for him considering how his knees have failed him repeatedly and will continue to fail him for the rest of his career. Then I remember he's a multi-millionaire and my feeling-sorry-for-him thinking disappears... LIKE THE CLIPPERS DID IN THE 4TH!

Good gracious, sorry but that felt good. After hearing all of the smack talk by Clipper fans (and ex-Laker fans) only to have the Lakers out play, out hustle and out score the Clippers was excellent.

Like Mighty, I have realistic expectations for the Lakers this year, but this win was still nice.

I don't see how Oden's a "feel-good" story. The only reason he's on the damn team is because legit bigs around the NBA can disrupt the Heat in a terribad way. Oden was a bad pick who's had an insanely forgettable career. He's going to get hurt again. He'll probably get released at some point during the season.

Let's say the Heat win another title. Even if he's healthy and plays maybe 6 minutes a game later down the stretch it's still stupid. Congratulations, Greg. You disappointed multiple franchises before getting acquired via the veteran minimum where you were asked to do the bare minimum. The short-sighted media and fringe fans of theirs will call his career a success while a guy like Reggie Miller's was a "total failure."

All NBA and sport aside, you forget that Greg Oden did not ask to be tall or ask to have the physical limitations which come from being tall. The young man wanted to be a dentist growing up, but his hands became too big to hold the tools and work on peoples teeth. He also did not ask to have injuries this limiting his effectiveness in the NBA. The injuries and the weight of the expectations caused depression for him and he, like most athletes, turn to alcohol to lessen the pain from being a professional athlete.

It is hard being over 7 feet since most do not live past 55-60.

Read the Grantland May 2012 story on him.

All NBA and sport aside, you forget that Greg Oden did not ask to be tall or ask to have the physical limitations which come from being tall. The young man wanted to be a dentist growing up, but his hands became too big to hold the tools and work on peoples teeth. He also did not ask to have injuries this limiting his effectiveness in the NBA. The injuries and the weight of the expectations caused depression for him and he, like most athletes, turn to alcohol to lessen the pain from being a professional athlete.

It is hard being over 7 feet since most do not live past 55-60.

Read the Grantland May 2012 story on him.

Let me rephrase: I don't think this is a feel-good story in terms of the NBA and basketball. Is Oden's personal story interesting and most definitely somewhat tragic? Damn right, but this shouldn't at all be looked at as a tale of redemption or something. His professional sports career has been a massive disappointment entirely to injuries. It's nothing personal. I never said we shouldn't take pity on him, I emphasized that if he was signed to the 76ers or Bobcats nobody'd give a damn about this story.

Whose house?

Lakers' house.

Pay your rent, cover up whatever you want, but look at the statues outside, pull back the curtains and look at those banners, look at the fans in the stands, and understand that this will never be your basketball arena, Clippers. Never.

And the inner LA Kings fan in Still Mighty comes out.

Whose house?

Lakers' house.

Pay your rent, cover up whatever you want, but look at the statues outside, pull back the curtains and look at those banners, look at the fans in the stands, and understand that this will never be your basketball arena, Clippers. Never.

And the inner LA Kings fan in Still Mighty comes out.

I don't understand a lot if the things you say, but where does that come from?

The LA Kings don't play basketball. The LA Kings don't share their hockey arena with another hockey team. Your post makes no sense.

How the hell did the Lakers bench beat the Clippers tonight?

Terrible perimeter defense and rebounding by the Clippers, and an element of just plain dumb luck for the Lakers. Sadly, without some roster changes (i.e. signing a legitimate backup big and perhaps trading Crawford), I don't see the former improving very much.

It was a bad sign when Rivers came over, and the first thing he starts talking about is how important DeAndre will be. It reeked of, "well, we tried to trade this guy, but couldn't, so we'll just have to work with him." If DeAndre Jordan is the key to your success, you probably won't go far.

How the hell did the Lakers bench beat the Clippers tonight?

Terrible perimeter defense and rebounding by the Clippers, and an element of just plain dumb luck for the Lakers. Sadly, without some roster changes (i.e. signing a legitimate backup big and perhaps trading Crawford), I don't see the former improving very much.

It's just one game. The Lakers will probably go 3-7 over the next ten and the Clips the reverse of that.

Archived