United States WBC Concept (UPDATE 10/7)

illwauk

Just looking at Team USA's cap for the World Baseball Classic made me realize how much I want them to have a more classic look. Here's a few monograms I came up with. Uniforms will follow.

us_baseball_zps2c47a334.png

I'd go with "A". The outlined versions muddle it up, and the single-colour versions aren't instantly recognizable as "US" monograms - they look like chain links or knitted patterns. The reason why I say "A" over "D" is because the "U" is white; since the white letter sticks out more, I read it first (so I read "US" as opposed to "SU"). That aside, I would make the "U" a bit wider. Not a lot, but as of now it looks a bit disproportionally wide compared to its height.

I'd go with "A". The outlined versions muddle it up, and the single-colour versions aren't instantly recognizable as "US" monograms - they look like chain links or knitted patterns. The reason why I say "A" over "D" is because the "U" is white; since the white letter sticks out more, I read it first (so I read "US" as opposed to "SU"). That aside, I would make the "U" a bit wider. Not a lot, but as of now it looks a bit disproportionally wide compared to its height.

Hmmm... I see what you mean. I designed these with the outline in mind, but without it, the U could definitely stand to be widened a bit.

EDIT:

us_a_zps56c16f4b.png

Much better.

What if the US wore red caps instead?

I know they've always been a blue team, but the reason for US national teams always wearing blue ("red" meant "Soviet") isn't really relevant nowadays. I honestly wouldn't mind a predominantly red look for the US.

us_baseball3_zps937f5d12.png

Go with 2, but make the separations a little thicker or at least more noticeable. Almost can't see them. If you make it just like E and F in the initial post but with a white U and a red S, that'd be the best option.

Archived