2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases
No they're not, the ads are really there. They're only CGI if it's a nationally televised game on ESPN or FOX, which this was not.

No it is cgi to not interfere with the pitcher, the same way there are no ads in the batters eye

Wonderbread - please tell me your multi-posted comment is sarcasm.

What does the pitcher need to concentrate on? How would an ad interfere with the pitcher? Are the fans sitting behind the catcher and umpire CGI too?? Because that would be just as distracting as an ad. The hitter needs a batter's eye to pick up the ball and the spin. The pitcher doesn't need such assistance...because he's throwing the ball, not being thrown at.

Most ads are actually there. If the wall is blank in real life, it is so it can accomodate numerous ads...it has nothing to do with the pitcher's concentration. It's obvious if it's CGI or not. Plus most ads are off-center, not in the straight line-of-sight of the battery.

Side note - Do I need to post this 5x too??

In parks I've been to in recent years, it's cgi (or green / blue screen). Doesn't mean that's everywhere though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Red Sox cap and jersey for tomorrow's home opener (h/t @redsox on Twitter):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BkVA-h5IMAAhkKB.jpg

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I have so much to comment on having finally caught up with the thread but I'm mobile right now and have a question. I'm watching the Yankees at Houston and the ad at the backstop is in Japanese. Who do they have that they have Japanese ads? Or are the Stros just big in Japan for whatever reason?

Having Ichiro, and that new Japanese pitcher who I forget and was probably pitching tonight having Japanese ads makes sense.

Err, they're in Houston, not the Bronx. When Matsui was a Yankee there were numerous Japanese brands advertised at The Stadium, and at least one Japanese-language ad on the wall that whole time. If Tanaka is successful I expect these things to return, as they disappeared after Matsui left. I don't know of any big Japanese celebrities on the Astros, though, especially considering how prominent the ad is.

Well the back stop ads are just CGI on a green or blue screen so it wouldn't be that difficult to have a japanese ad for days when Tanaka is pitching and if you were watching the game from a Yankees broadcast it would show their advertisements not the astros in most cases
No they're not, the ads are really there. They're only CGI if it's a nationally televised game on ESPN or FOX, which this was not.

No it is cgi to not interfere with the pitcher, the same way there are no ads in the batters eye

Wonderbread - please tell me your multi-posted comment is sarcasm.

What does the pitcher need to concentrate on? How would an ad interfere with the pitcher? Are the fans sitting behind the catcher and umpire CGI too?? Because that would be just as distracting as an ad. The hitter needs a batter's eye to pick up the ball and the spin. The pitcher doesn't need such assistance...because he's throwing the ball, not being thrown at.

Most ads are actually there. If the wall is blank in real life, it is so it can accomodate numerous ads...it has nothing to do with the pitcher's concentration. It's obvious if it's CGI or not. Plus most ads are off-center, not in the straight line-of-sight of the battery.

Side note - Do I need to post this 5x too??

No it was not sarcasm, i dont know why it was posted 5x :censored: happens. But I know at all mlb ball parks I've been to its been a green or blue screen and it's very obvious on tv to that they are cgi graphics. And I was told it was so it wouldn't interfere with the pitcher, whether it's seeing signs better or something else i dont know that is just what I've been told. That could not be the case and just be its easier to show more ads when it's a graphic but still I know all the ones I have seen have been cgi thus making it possible for the Japanese ads at an astos games if it was a Yankees broadcast

Hmm... Strange. I didn't believe it to be CGI as those are generally easy to tell right away, and are usually reserved for nationally televised games. There was also the issue that the other ads that were shown were all for local brands I'd never heard of. I've got season tickets with the Yankees and their ads spin on a belt to change between innings and I'd personally seen it only done that way except for national broadcasts.

So it seemed like that idea didn't make sense... until I today watched Tanaka's debut in Toronto... and the same ad appeared on their backstop. Are the Yankees lugging their own ads around for everyone to apply? Did a Japanese company make a national deal with the MLB or is paying an axhorbonant amount of money to have this ad flow the Yankees? Is it just the.most amazing coincidence ever? Or is this indeed a random CGI ad among the others that the Yankees happened to put this ad up on?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, i like the Mets skyline patch more that this Mr. Met patch......it´s a funny patch allright, but too silly for a MLB jersey......Let the Reds be the only ones with the mascot on the sleeve.

Well, i like the Mets skyline patch more that this Mr. Met patch......it´s a funny patch allright, but too silly for a MLB jersey......Let the Reds be the only ones with the mascot on the sleeve.

A's, Twins home, Reds, Cubs, Pirates, Mets alt, your namesake (Rays).
right, what i meant was a guy with a head like a ball....LOL........i think Mr. Met is close to the Reds guy, so they should not copy the Reds with the sleeve thing.

I really dont see the love for the brown and yellow, sure its unique for a uniform, but I can definitely see why the team went to navy, brown and yellow is just an ugly color combo. I really dont see more people going out and buying brown and yellow merchandise over navy stuff

I really dont see the love for the brown and yellow, sure its unique for a uniform, but I can definitely see why the team went to navy, brown and yellow is just an ugly color combo. I really dont see more people going out and buying brown and yellow merchandise over navy stuff

Maybe it isn't everyone's favorite color combo but it does distinguish the Padres from the navy teams. The thing about baseball is that there is not enough originality. Too many red and blue teams.

Sadly Fortunately, the Padres' camo uniforms are the closest thing we will see to a return to brown for at least the near future.

Fixed

You like the camouflage unis? I respect them for honoring our military because they should but the brown is somewhat ugly.

I wouldn't like it if they replaced the skyline logo patch on the pinstripes, snow whites or road greys but I think its fine for the alternates.

mets.png

Archived