2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

Any truth to the rumor that the Mariners are going to have a rebrand soon? Tragic news if true.

Don't worry quite yet! Maybe it'll be a navy and teal (Northwest green, to be specific) version of the trident logo from their early days!

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sigh, and OF COURSE they just had to use that stupid Reds white cap with the red pinstripes. I've only been looking for a Reds solid red throwback cap with the flat logo since I was in Little League (That was the very first "Pro Fit" New Era 59Fifty I ever saw, and is basically the very cap that got me into fitted caps). I could've overlooked the New Era logo, or even just used a seam ripper to take it out if that was the case.

Oh well. The search continues, I guess.

What size are you looking for? There is a nice one in 7 1/2 up on Ebay for a good price. Old stock pops up once in awhile there.

Vintage Old School Cincinnati REDS New Era Pro Model Fitted Hat-7 1/2 NWT, NOS

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Not sure if this is the place to post it, but New Era's throwing back to '93 with this collection of caps...

http://www.lids.com/New-Era/Style_MLB-1993-Collection-59FIFTY-Cap

It's good to see all those caps together in one place again. Now, if they'd just give us a correct version of the Padres Taco Bell caps before the orange was added.

So these seem higher crown... and the logo is flat again?

I'd consider these if I didn't already have a closet full of '90s hats. Ah, disposable income...

Also, I wonder if the Cubs cap goes back to the old blue already.

So the 5950 changed in shape/dimensions from the early 90's to the present? I guess that makes sense as to why I hated them back then and waited 20 years to buy another one at which I'm a fan of the contemporary versions.

logo6.gif

The Ornithologically Correct Bird (1989-97):

I've been known to spot the occasional bird, and suffice it to say that this looks like no true Baltimore oriole that's ever passed through my binoculars. I don't know what's worse: the modern idea of ornithological orthodoxy or the state of American letters. I blame Oprah for both.

I don't like to use the internet, but when I do, I post at sportslogos.net and hope that no one can contradict me.

Sigh, and OF COURSE they just had to use that stupid Reds white cap with the red pinstripes. I've only been looking for a Reds solid red throwback cap with the flat logo since I was in Little League (That was the very first "Pro Fit" New Era 59Fifty I ever saw, and is basically the very cap that got me into fitted caps). I could've overlooked the New Era logo, or even just used a seam ripper to take it out if that was the case.

^ Google Mickey's Place Cooperstown NY.

On another note, I think 1993 was the last year the batterman logo didn't appear on the back of New Era MLB hats. I agree with other posters that the NE flag ruins the look.

The batterman logo was on hats starting in 1991 or 1992. The 1993 New Era collection has batterman logos, which is correct. I have real Rockies and Mariners hats from 1993...both have batterman logos.

1992 was the first year of the logo on the back of the cap.

The Philllies didn't reveal their new uniforms until opening day, and actually wore and sold maroon caps with the mlb logo on the back during that offseason / spring training, even though those caps were never worn in any regular season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On another note, I think 1993 was the last year the batterman logo didn't appear on the back of New Era MLB hats. I agree with other posters that the NE flag ruins the look.

The batterman logo was on hats starting in 1991 or 1992. The 1993 New Era collection has batterman logos, which is correct. I have real Rockies and Mariners hats from 1993...both have batterman logos.

The Philllies didn't reveal their new uniforms until opening day, and actually wore and sold maroon caps with the mlb logo on the back during that offseason / spring training, even though those caps were never worn in any regular season.

Do you know if the batterman marooon/white/maroon on those hats? Or maroon/white/blue?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Do you know if the batterman marooon/white/maroon on those hats? Or maroon/white/blue?

I honestly don't remember. I just remember being in a sporting goods store in March 1992 and wondering a) why they were still selling those caps even though they would be retired a week or two later, and b.) why the logo was on the back.

I assume you're asking if they used the same logo as they did for the red caps (r/w/b). I think not, because it would have clashed and I might have remembered that - but I really don't know. Since I guess technically the maroon cap was produced and sold in '92, it's possible that they had one just for it. No idea though, and that cap would be extremely hard (if not impossible) to find now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

What size are you looking for? There is a nice one in 7 1/2 up on Ebay for a good price. Old stock pops up once in awhile there.

Vintage Old School Cincinnati REDS New Era Pro Model Fitted Hat-7 1/2 NWT, NOS

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

There's a second collection on Lids called "High Crown Legacy Collection" that has this one. Not sure if by flat logo you meant in terms of the raised embroidery or just without the shadow underneath but this one isn't as flat as the white pinstriped cap.

mets.png

Don't hold me to this but I feel like it was maroon/white/maroon.

logo6.gif

I've been known to spot the occasional bird, and suffice it to say that this looks like no true Baltimore oriole that's ever passed through my binoculars. I don't know what's worse: the modern idea of ornithological orthodoxy or the state of American letters. I blame Oprah for both.

This has got to be a parody account. I'm guessing the Admiral is behind this.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I honestly don't remember. I just remember being in a sporting goods store in March 1992 and wondering a) why they were still selling those caps even though they would be retired a week or two later, and b.) why the logo was on the back.

I assume you're asking if they used the same logo as they did for the red caps (r/w/b). I think not, because it would have clashed and I might have remembered that - but I really don't know. Since I guess technically the maroon cap was produced and sold in '92, it's possible that they had one just for it. No idea though, and that cap would be extremely hard (if not impossible) to find now.

I've seen a recent New Era edition of the maroon hat (worn for the civil rights game against Atlanta a few years ago) and I believe the batterman was maroon/white/light blue (maybe royal). I've also seen the New Era cap with maroon/white/maroon on the back (this was a "Coop" or similar fashion throwback by NE). Just curious as to what they did in 1992.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

logo6.gif

This has got to be a parody account. I'm guessing the Admiral is behind this.

Plot twist - OldRoman's behind it and he's trying to throw us off his scent.

I've seen a recent New Era edition of the maroon hat (worn for the civil rights game against Atlanta a few years ago) and I believe the batterman was maroon/white/light blue (maybe royal). I've also seen the New Era cap with maroon/white/maroon on the back (this was a "Coop" or similar fashion throwback by NE). Just curious as to what they did in 1992.

I agree with what another poster said - if I had to bet, I'd bet on maroon-white-maroon.

They definitely would not have used any light blue, because a.) they weren't using that color at all by that time, and b.) it was never officially one of their colors, and didn't start showing up on merchandise until the relatively recent "retro craze" started.

Those caps were so rare. I'm not even sure if the team wore them in spring training, or if they just wore the '91 version without the logo. Finding a picture of the back of someone's head from spring training that year might be the only way to ever know, because there's zero chance of ever finding one of those caps for sale.

BmqLKeFIAAAXPm-.jpg

Carl Steward @stewardsfolly 28m

Uniform #SFGiants will wear tomorrow. Yes, that's a bear logo even though they were called the Sea Lions. pic.twitter.com/kZJ76wOy3g

@stewardsfolly the Seals wore bears on their jerseys?

Carl Steward @stewardsfolly 22m

@susanslusser They got them from a previous Negro League team in SF. Couldn't afford their own.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

Archived