2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only real difference between the current unis and the throwbacks will be pullovers and the elimination of the terrible black stitching on the edge of the white front cap panel. :P

Besides that, not much difference in the uniforms the past several years, like tohasbo mentioned.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

The best thing the Orioles & Blue jays did was go back to their 70's-90's uniforms last season!

Now, if the Mariners, Brewers & Padres would....the MLB would be perfect!

I wish the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks. New England Patriots & Cincinnati Bengals would go back to their old uni's!

The Mariners' blue and yellow sets were garbage. Generic, forgettable garbage. The teams which wore them ranged from mediocre to horrible. The Mariners which featured some of the best players of all time, saved the franchise and made America realize that Seattle actually had a baseball team did so wearing great navy and teal uniforms. There is no reason whatsoever that the Mariners should return to a worse look, that nobody wants to see, which is synonymous with losing.

Royal blue and yellow is a great scheme, however, which is a large part of the reason why the Brewers should return to it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The best thing the Orioles & Blue jays did was go back to their 70's-90's uniforms last season!

I wish the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Seattle Seahawks. New England Patriots & Cincinnati Bengals would go back to their old uni's!

I agree with pretty much all of this here, but also with OR's comment about navy-n-teal Seattle. I really like Seattle's looks from 77-86, but then absolutely hated their 87-92 look. I thought it was the most generic-looking baseball uniform I'd ever seen. Didn't even say Seattle on the roads. While I still prefer royal and athletic gold to navy and teal, I believe that the Mariners have become a navy and teal team, with lots more heritage the past twenty-one seasons than any in their first ten, and after struggling to even stay in Seattle that first decade or so. Once they went navy and teal, their whole identity changed, and not just uniform identity.

That said, if the Brewers want to revert to royal and athletic gold, which their sharply-dressed Seattle forebears also wore, it'd suit me fine. I now think the Brewers current look is the second most generic in baseball (just my opinion). There are many worse identities, but the Brewers logo and wordmark just seem genereic and canned in comparison to most. The most generic, as well as worst? Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome your San Diego Padres (shameless brown and athletic gold plug inserted here).

Disagree on the Orioles. Never liked the cartoon bird. But I do agree the Jays went back to their best looking set. Disagree on the Mariners, their early 2000's set is what they should revert to keeping teal in the game given the Marlins are no longer wearing it, not their bland 80's blue and yellow set which I suspect you meant. The Brewers on the other hand should consider their old glove cap logo era set. With the Padres saying 70's-90's is FAR too expansive given they wore 4 major redesigns and several minor ones in that time frame, but I agree that their '98 set from that era was definitely one they should consider going back to.

Regarding the football ones, I disagree on all counts. The Bucs orange uniforms were just a mess. The Hawks current unis seem to work and are very popular if the amount of people wandering around in them are any indication (all in cities not named Seattle). The Pats old red uniforms with Pat Patriot were just ugly, and on top of that they had a history of being worn by nothing but failures. Their current set is the nicest look they've ever had and more importantly has a history of success with it. Bengals it's 6 to one half dozen to the other so no real difference IMO.

The Mariners uni I liked the best was the late 70's-early 80's version.....blue hat with the pitchfork inside the star...LOVED it! Original, eye catching and cool. They could keep their current colors...just go back to that hat and uni!

I wouldn't mind the Seahawks uniforms as much if they were simplified. There is way too much going on! They look like Arena Football League uni's! At least they kept the same helmet logo! They didn't go do a compete change like the Patriots & Buccaneers.

The Winnipeg Jets returned....yay! However, with boring uni's! They are Brewers uni's of the NHL! Go back to the old Jets uni's!

The Atlanta Hawks need to get away from their current uni's! They look like college uni's! Go back to the 80's uni's!

The Mariners' blue and yellow sets were garbage. Generic, forgettable garbage. The teams which wore them ranged from mediocre to horrible. The Mariners which featured some of the best players of all time, saved the franchise and made America realize that Seattle actually had a baseball team did so wearing great navy and teal uniforms. There is no reason whatsoever that the Mariners should return to a worse look, that nobody wants to see, which is synonymous with losing.

Royal blue and yellow is a great scheme, however, which is a large part of the reason why the Brewers should return to it.

I tend to agree with this all except that I do not think the Mariners blue/yellow was bad at all. If you are talking about this look:

OK, It's very 70s/80s, but could have been workable if modernized. And I still want to pick myself up that hat. I love it.

However, this look here is absolute garbage:

Especially the hat.

I agree though that for all the other reasons you listed, the Mariners should stick with what they have. It's unique without "trying too hard" and it's sort of drifting toward "modern classic". While the Brewers, Padres and Astros (up to two years ago) remain teams with ambiguous identities, the Mariners are not. They are blue/teal. No need to go retro for retro's sake.

(However, I have to admit that I'd be all over a trident "M" cap in modern colors)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yep! The Gaylord Perry pic is exactly what I'm talking about! I disliked those Griffey uni's...gag!

I'm not against modernizing the uni's...as long as they keep the logos and uniform styles.

Example: what the Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals, Detroit Pistons have done in the last 10 years.....

I also like what the Vikings did this year...modernized version of the classic uni. The Milwaukee Bucks, as well!

I just like to be able to look at a team through the years and know who they are right away.

Yes, I was thinking specifically about the young Griffey set when I said how crappy they looked. Still, there was nothing special (to me) about the early Mariners set. The logo is creative, except that it represents the team name and not the city. And the colors were a bad choice at the time considering there was already a blue and yellow team in the AL.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm betting that they are going to do a series of throwback games. Except for the fact that there's no real difference in the home uniforms the last 20 years or so.

The lettering has swapped from orange to black to orange. I guess they could break out the Brooks Robinson-era orange uniforms too. There is some slightly-varied goofy stuff they could wear if they wanted.

I'm much more upset they've pretty much completely eschewed the Browns from their history, but this is 60 years in Baltimore, so let's correctly honor that.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

However, this look here is absolute garbage:

Especially the hat

That hat was a work of art compared to the primary logo:

2891.gif

Just awful.

"We have how long before we have to send the logo to the printer?!?!?! Five minutes?!?!?! I've got an idea . . . "

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived