2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

Orioles 1954 Throwbacks to be worn tonight in celebration of the team's 60th Anniversary in Baltimore. The game worn jerseys are being auctioned off after the game.

img-254632-m.jpgimg-254634-m.jpg

If only the Cardinals were dressing as the St. Louis Browns...

Why? The Orioles were the Browns, not the Cardinals.

And the O's did wear the Browns uniforms a few years back, in St. Louis. It was the 1944 set. Too bad they don't bring back any Browns throwbacks from time to time.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall seeing the Sox wear navy undershirts early in 2009, but I don't remember navy socks. Any pictures of these?

Boston+Red+Sox+v+Los+Angeles+Angels+Anah

*shudders*

Aside from it being asinine the Red Sox wear blue socks, that's not a terrible look on its own.

I agree. The harder they try to look like the Yankees, the better they look. If only they would get rid of the red completely, they would have a great look....maybe lose the B on the hat, and the BOSTON across the chest, it would be solid!

If you made the sleeves blue like the jersey, it wouldn't take much convincing to have me believe that was from the 80's.

Of course, now that the Rays have 70's and 80's fauxbacks, I wonder how much further it's going to go. Are they gonna bust out a 50's or 60's fauxback? Make an alternate history 90's fauxback? The Red Sox'll be celebrating 100 years since the 1915 World Series, maybe create a deadball era set if Boston throws back to that? Tampa Bay's opened the Alternate History Pandora's Box, and they can't shut it now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rays pushed it. It adds to the fun/youthful personality of the Rays as well as gives then something to sell and creates some attention. Wouldn't be surprised if we continue to see some fake throwbacks from the Rays.

What would surprise me is if other teams decided to follow suit.

Didn't the brewers use an odd white front panel on the road even though yellow woulda made more sense?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So these are suppose to be what the rays would've worn in the 70s?

So in the 70's Im sure there was still a number of people with black & white tv's, especially since small tvs I think were still mostly b&w no? (I dunno I was born in 84)

So that means they would've looked like this to some people.

OfjOSH9.png

Well, now that gives the Rays two sets of light blue pants...but maybe I'm wrong since the first set is from 1979 and this is from the 80's. The white cap can only be to match the white home uni (as teams really didn't have that many caps in the 80's ex Blue Jays). The light blue on white in the front panel looks faded though. I was watching the Cubs broadcast on WGN and they said the Rays owner stuck with the Padres (we know and they also acknowledge it) but they didn't know why. They also acknowledged that it's not right since they were the "Rays" in the 70's, the "Rays" in the 80's, the Devil Rays in the 90's and now the Rays again.

If the Rays want to mess around, that's cool, but this shouldn't be their identity or take the place of their current alternate uniforms.

This whole alternate reality reminds me of a DC comic when they refresh the past.

I saw a hypothetical explanation, I wanna say it was a comment at UniWatch, but maybe here, that set up the uniforms. It went that the team started as the Rays, using the same reasoning as now, the rays of sunshine in the Tampa Bay area. In the mid 90s, they revamped their image to be trendy and "extreme" by changing to the Devil Rays, using a very 90s color scheme of purple and a green/yellow/blue gradient. After a while with those, they subdued the colors to black and green, but eventually wanted to go back to their roots with blue and gold, reverting back to the original team name in 2008.

I'd love to see the team continue to play with this idea, but I don't know how "fun" they could get with any other era of uniforms.

I'd also love to see a true home white version as well. I threw this together, as well as modernized it with current button down jerseys. I used the original fauxback cap with the road powder blues, and made a new white panel cap for the home whites, scrapping the cap from Sunday.

Y9ZoRLF.png

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Depends on when the team started in this alternate history they created. I'd like to see turn of the century Tampa Bay Rays throwbacks myself.

I could also see them, in this alternate history, deciding to go XTREME and adopt the "Devil Rays" name too. The Nordiques, had they not moved, were going to go with a wolf for their logo. So there's precedent.

Well, now that gives the Rays two sets of light blue pants...but maybe I'm wrong since the first set is from 1979 and this is from the 80's. The white cap can only be to match the white home uni (as teams really didn't have that many caps in the 80's ex Blue Jays). The light blue on white in the front panel looks faded though. I was watching the Cubs broadcast on WGN and they said the Rays owner stuck with the Padres (we know and they also acknowledge it) but they didn't know why. They also acknowledged that it's not right since they were the "Rays" in the 70's, the "Rays" in the 80's, the Devil Rays in the 90's and now the Rays again.

If the Rays want to mess around, that's cool, but this shouldn't be their identity or take the place of their current alternate uniforms.

This whole alternate reality reminds me of a DC comic when they refresh the past.

I saw a hypothetical explanation, I wanna say it was a comment at UniWatch, but maybe here, that set up the uniforms. It went that the team started as the Rays, using the same reasoning as now, the rays of sunshine in the Tampa Bay area. In the mid 90s, they revamped their image to be trendy and "extreme" by changing to the Devil Rays, using a very 90s color scheme of purple and a green/yellow/blue gradient. After a while with those, they subdued the colors to black and green, but eventually wanted to go back to their roots with blue and gold, reverting back to the original team name in 2008.

I'd love to see the team continue to play with this idea, but I don't know how "fun" they could get with any other era of uniforms.

I'd also love to see a true home white version as well. I threw this together, as well as modernized it with current button down jerseys. I used the original fauxback cap with the road powder blues, and made a new white panel cap for the home whites, scrapping the cap from Sunday.

Y9ZoRLF.png

Perfecto

So these are suppose to be what the rays would've worn in the 70s?

So in the 70's Im sure there was still a number of people with black & white tv's, especially since small tvs I think were still mostly b&w no? (I dunno I was born in 84)

So that means they would've looked like this to some people.

OfjOSH9.png

Speaking as someone who was born in 1970 and grew up in the 1980's, I can tell you that plenty of B&W TV's existed into at least 1989 as I had one in my college dorm room at that time.

B&w tvs were never as clear as that photo though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived