2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

SD going back to brown and yellow?

In 2015 and it'll be the Padres 23Rd logo LOL
They're actually changing to navy and red.
Really or just a rumors

Rumors, or actually he's probably just joking. Still, that would be the Padre-iest thing ever. Continuing to stay away from the colors fans identify with, introducing another color scheme into the team's lineage, aping an already insanely oversaturated color scheme, and doing it all to honor an old minor-league team that nobody under 60 remembers or cared about.

^

When I went to Petco, they really emphasized their military logo, so if they ever go the RWB route, this could be it?

new-era-san-diego-padres-military-logo-5

Go A's!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really or just a rumors

Rumors, or actually he's probably just joking. Still, that would be the Padre-iest thing ever. Continuing to stay away from the colors fans identify with, introducing another color scheme into the team's lineage, aping an already insanely oversaturated color scheme, and doing it all to honor an old minor-league team that nobody under 60 remembers or cared about.

True Although I won't mind the Padres going back to Brown & Orange from 85-90!

Really or just a rumors

^

When I went to Petco, they really emphasized their military logo, so if they ever go the RWB route, this could be it?

That's would be a perfect Alt caps!

The cookie cutter stadiums built in the late 60's/early 70's were horrible. They tore down all these beautiful old stadiums to put up these monstrosities. Then, in the 90's/2000's, they tore down all the cookie cutters and built stadiums to look like the ones they originally tore down in the 60's & 70's! Doh!

In other parts of the world they keep structures forever. Here, we tear things down after 30 years.

I know what you're saying about the saucer stadiums but I always thought that Riverfront made a nice addition to the Cincinnati skyline. I may be prejudiced, but I thought it had the best exterior appearance of all the cookie cutters.

284_1Cincinnati_Riverfront_Stadium.jpg

Busch had the best exterior, I think, especially later on when they added lights to reflect off the arches. Instantly knew which stadium it was based on the "roof" (for lack of a better term) design. Riverfront is a close second.

Here's a decent pic.

buschs02.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I never got to go there, but I was always under the impression that renovated Busch Stadium II could've stuck around for a few more seasons.

Also, if the Orioles are going to wear throwbacks to celebrate 60 years, I'd like to see the '71 all orange (for totally irrational reasons), and the '63 block home (because I want the hat in polyester).

I never got to go there, but I was always under the impression that renovated Busch Stadium II could've stuck around for a few more seasons.

It lasted as long as possible. The guts where in terrible shape

Also, if the Orioles are going to wear throwbacks to celebrate 60 years, I'd like to see the '71 all orange (for totally irrational reasons), and the '63 block home (because I want the hat in polyester).

I like the Padres hat and I understand the military influence in the area, but if you're going that route (RWB/Military) then change your name to the Aviators or something. When I think padre, I think of the friar...who wears a brown robe with a (gold color) rope belt...which makes brown/gold or yellow a unique color scheme in MLB and unique to your nickname.

KISSwall09.jpg

Really or just a rumors

Bunch of fans I know identify with the general color scheme they've been wearing for 25 years now, not the brown (and especially not the brown and gold). Still a return to the first 90's navy set (which peaked with the '98 set) wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely had more character than the current set since the sand was all but retired. Indeed the '98 set continues to be one of the most popular with young people under 35 (and particularly with kids).

With the Pads it really does seem to be a matter of when you were first a fan. In general people under 35 seem to favor the current navy blue, the middle aged folks want brown back, and the old folks aren't averse to having the old PCL colors come back (or the other two as well). Not to say there aren't exceptions to all 3 groups, but the idea that the fan base only wants brown is a fallacy.

Also I do mention it about once a year on here... Friars don't wear brown exclusively. Some do in fact wear other colors (and their rope belts are generally not gold either).

Really or just a rumors

^

That's would be a perfect Alt caps!

Nothing says "Spanish monks" quite like a red, white, and blue USAF themed cap.

Bunch of fans I know identify with the general color scheme they've been wearing for 25 years now, not the brown (and especially not the brown and gold). Still a return to the first 90's navy set (which peaked with the '98 set) wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely had more character than the current set since the sand was all but retired. Indeed the '98 set continues to be one of the most popular with young people under 35 (and particularly with kids).

With the Pads it really does seem to be a matter of when you were first a fan. In general people under 35 seem to favor the current navy blue, the middle aged folks want brown back, and the old folks aren't averse to having the old PCL colors come back (or the other two as well). Not to say there aren't exceptions to all 3 groups, but the idea that the fan base only wants brown is a fallacy.

Also I do mention it about once a year on here... Friars don't wear brown exclusively. Some do in fact wear other colors (and their rope belts are generally not gold either).

It may be a fallacy to say every Padres fan wants brown back, but it's the most logical colour choice out there.

Red, white, and blue? I, for one, don't want to see the Indians go with red and brown or the Red Sox go with red and green, or the Twins go with Vikings or Timberwolves colours. Red, white, and blue is a great scheme. It's used a lot for a reason. That being said, even I have to admit we're reaching the limit when it comes to MLB uniforms. Why go with red, white, and blue if you can justify another scheme?

Blue and white? I like the idea of it, but it's very nondescript. It tries very hard to look like the Yankees...that is to say it tries very hard to look like what the general image of a "classic" team is. IIRC you once said that was a point in this scheme's favour. You claimed that San Diego, being an up and coming "conservative" city would want a team to look the part. And I'm sure that's true for a portion of the fanbase. It's not a bad look per say, but the Yankees (and Lions half the time) already do it, and have owned the look for decades upon decades.

Blue, white, and orange? I didn't mind this look, but it always seemed distanced a bit from the team name. The team's named after Spanish monks, right? Now not every team has to have a colour scheme that mimics their name, but orange and navy just sort of seem random. Like something you'd get if you loaded up an Create A Team on an EA game. Random monk logo with a random blue and orange colour scheme. I'd probably feel more attached to this look for them if they had managed to win the Series in it, but they didn't. So here we are. Also the Astros just returned to those colours, and I don't think I'm wrong to say they're more closely associated with the Astros then they are the Padres. Let the Astros have it after spending the last few years sharing a colour scheme with the Diamondbacks.

Brown and gold? Again, a team doesn't have to have a scheme that matches the team name. The fact that they do have that scheme in their history, however, makes it a no brainer. Everything else is either used by someone else or it just doesn't fit as well as brown and gold does. It's a unique colour scheme in the world of sports, it's got history with the team so it's not another random scheme, and it can be used on a traditional, conservative design, thus appeasing that portion of the fanbase you mentioned before. I'm not really a fan of how the colours look myself, but it still makes sense to me regarding the Padres.

Mariners have released 2014 pocket schedules with a pitching Felix Hernandez in uniform on the cover. It's the home uniform and it is white, so we don't appear to have any change to cream there, but I'm curious if it will lead to a new design standard around the stadium.

Click here for 2014

For comparison, here's 2013.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Well, bosrs1 has a point that the longer the Padres can hold off the brown, the more fans that will have grown up with navy instead. Some of us pro-brown aren't quite "middle aged" yet.

Also, "bunch of friends" is preferred over "team-run poll" stats anyday. As the Braves showed, you can make a graph show anything you want.

Mariners have released 2014 pocket schedules with a pitching Felix Hernandez in uniform on the cover. It's the home uniform and it is white, so we don't appear to have any change to cream there, but I'm curious if it will lead to a new design standard around the stadium.

Click here for 2014

For comparison, here's 2013.

You might see further changes in marketing materials, but I doubt there will be a lot of changes around the stadium. It's just a pocket schedule.

Good to see the navy and northwest green.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I suppose, but they're so much better off with what they have now. It's not fancy or gimmicky, it's just a really solid, traditional urban ballpark.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I suppose, but they're so much better off with what they have now. It's not fancy or gimmicky, it's just a really solid, traditional urban ballpark.

In fact, certain features remind me a lot of Turner Field... oh.

Yep, time to move the Cardinals to the intersection of I-70 and I-64. Don't worry, it'll still have a St. Louis address. It'll just have "East" in front of it! Local officials have already announced that the highway investment is contingent on making sure anyone who enters will be shot and killed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So will they change the cap logo to have an E in front of it? I don't want no "New York" Giants bullplop. THEY PLAY IN JERSEY THERE HELMET SHOULD OF HAD NJ ON IT.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived