2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The government does recognize Washington-Baltimore as a Combined Statistical Area, but it's misleading and/or ignorant to imply that one Beltway circles both cities.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is interesting. The MLB shop has the original stars and stripes hats (from 2008) on sale in Diamond era:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=44087096&cp=1452360.1452526.2016109

pMLB2-19332953dt.jpg

from '08

navy-good.png

I wonder if they include the controversial "blackface/flag-faced Wahoo" cap, or just a new version with the C.

If the ads actually contributed to fewer commercial breaks or lower ticket prices, maybe I'd be in favor of them. But of course that won't happen. The owners will get richer, while ticket prices will continue to rise. So I'm against ads for that reason.

The problem with that is there are no TV timeouts in baseball. They go to commercial when a new pitcher comes in to warm up or when the old pitcher comes back out and throws a few warm up pitches. Avoiding commercials wouldn't give any new benefit because you'd just be sitting there watching a guy warming up. You'd get no extra game. Lower ticket prices would be nice, though.

Why the Orioles and the Capitals?

The Nationals made the playoffs, why not keep it in the city?

Because they don't know what they're doing. Some people mistakenly believe DC and Baltimore are part of the same metro area. You can tell by the language they used: "fans of the Beltway". What is that? Both cities have their own Beltway. Lots of Nats fans are pissed about it. Then again, we don't want that SI curse either.

Remember that for 34 years, the Orioles WERE Washington's team. I'm sure there's still a huge rooting interest within the Beltway.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Remember that for 34 years, the Orioles WERE Washington's team. I'm sure there's still a huge rooting interest within the Beltway.

True enough.

I was in Washington last week, and saw a :censored: load of people wearing Nationals gear, but I also saw a surprising number of Orioles hats and t-shirts. Interestingly, I didn't see a single navy Nats cap, just (literally) hundreds of red ones. And not one of the old "DC" versions, although I did see a half-dozen people wearing the old block-W caps.

71KfFNLumsL._SX425_.jpg

This is interesting. The MLB shop has the original stars and stripes hats (from 2008) on sale in Diamond era:

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=44087096&cp=1452360.1452526.2016109

pMLB2-19332953dt.jpg

from '08

navy-good.png

I wonder if they include the controversial "blackface/flag-faced Wahoo" cap, or just a new version with the C.

If the ads actually contributed to fewer commercial breaks or lower ticket prices, maybe I'd be in favor of them. But of course that won't happen. The owners will get richer, while ticket prices will continue to rise. So I'm against ads for that reason.

The problem with that is there are no TV timeouts in baseball. They go to commercial when a new pitcher comes in to warm up or when the old pitcher comes back out and throws a few warm up pitches. Avoiding commercials wouldn't give any new benefit because you'd just be sitting there watching a guy warming up. You'd get no extra game. Lower ticket prices would be nice, though.

Why the Orioles and the Capitals?

The Nationals made the playoffs, why not keep it in the city?

Because they don't know what they're doing. Some people mistakenly believe DC and Baltimore are part of the same metro area. You can tell by the language they used: "fans of the Beltway". What is that? Both cities have their own Beltway. Lots of Nats fans are pissed about it. Then again, we don't want that SI curse either.

There are people here in the DC area that still root for the O's, but the Nationals are DC's team. The Orioles are Baltimore's team. Nats with Caps, period.

The government does recognize Washington-Baltimore as a Combined Statistical Area, but it's misleading and/or ignorant to imply that one Beltway circles both cities.

The Census recognizes them as two separate Metro Areas, and combine them on their own for the Combined Statistical Area category.

True enough.

I was in Washington last week, and saw a :censored: load of people wearing Nationals gear, but I also saw a surprising number of Orioles hats and t-shirts. Interestingly, I didn't see a single navy Nats cap, just (literally) hundreds of red ones. And not one of the old "DC" versions, although I did see a half-dozen people wearing the old block-W caps.

71KfFNLumsL._SX425_.jpg

You mean the old all navy road caps? Those aren't sold in many places anymore, and neither are the DC caps. I have one, but It's beat up and I never wear it.

Not only did I not see a single one of the old all-navy cap ones, but I didn't see either of these current caps:

pMLB2-15486779dt.jpgpMLB2-8892719dt.jpg

All I saw were the regular red ones (everywhere) and a surprising number of the throwbacks. None of the alternates. Sure, it's merely anecdotal, but I was struck by it.

Bah. A navy cap with a DC monogram was the One True Way for the Nats. I hate how their original identity degraded from, like, Day Negative-One with the mayor trotting out the Walgreens hat.

I was under the impression that the Nationals were intended to wear navy "Nationals" scripts and navy DC hats, both of which were amended by Selig pushing the red Walgreens hat. There was a navy version of the home script that seemed to float around but was never worn on anything official.

Unpopular opinion, but I like the curly W. It didn't belong with the previous set, however. Being that they stuck with that instead of the old wordmarks, they need to drop the number font. That font made sense and was passable with the previous set, but the numbers without the gold strokes just look awful and clunky, especially next to the thin Washington wordmark and W logo. Their set's still a mess.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Not only did I not see a single one of the old all-navy cap ones, but I didn't see either of these current caps:

All I saw were the regular red ones (everywhere) and a surprising number of the throwbacks. None of the alternates. Sure, it's merely anecdotal, but I was struck by it.

You'll see plenty of them if you actually went to a game. Obviously the red cap is the most popular.

Unpopular opinion, but I like the curly W. It didn't belong with the previous set, however. Being that they stuck with that instead of the old wordmarks, they need to drop the number font. That font made sense and was passable with the previous set, but the numbers without the gold strokes just look awful and clunky, especially next to the thin Washington wordmark and W logo. Their set's still a mess.

That's not an unpopular opinion. Even non-Nats fans wear it just for fashion. The curly W goes back to the Senators. Most of the time it's fans of rival teams that call it a "Walgreens" logo.

If they had originally gone with the curly W and the scripts they reverse-engineered around it, it would have been an okay identity. It wouldn't have been terribly striking, but it would have been okay. If they had committed to the DC caps and one color palette (navy with red and gold trim) with the first set, that would have been great too, because the lettering had a very interesting "monument" feel to it. But it's Bud Selig and the Natinals and so we got a complete mess that has been a complete mess in one way or another to this day. But hey, the people like it!

pMLB2-19332953dt.jpg

from '08

navy-good.png

Looks like a new version with the C.

pMLB2-19332807dt.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Nationals look, for the most part. I think the 2 layer-thick piping looks a bit silly, but I do like the curly W. It reminds me of the flowy handwriting on the early U.S. historical documents. I also think the bulky block number font, although a bit unoriginal, contrasts nicely with it.

pMLB2-19332953dt.jpg

from '08

navy-good.png

Looks like a new version with the C.

pMLB2-19332807dt.jpg

What is wrong with that C? It looks squished on the right side.

Archived