2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

That's a terrible idea. Double-blue has been an essential element in the Blue Jays identity since the very beginning.

Indeed. The navy blue appears only twice on their uniforms anyways: in the logo (where it adds much-needed depth) and outlining the road script (which, while unnecessary, doesn't stand out).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the love of God Orioles, use white stitching on your home panel hats! The black stitching muddles then contrast between the black and white, looks incredibly cheap and just stands out too much.

Or better yet, just wear your road hat all the time.

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

Or better yet, just wear your road hat all the time.

This. Those white panel caps and helmets look so incredibly gimmicky. And would it kill them to wear a white jersey?

Yes the road cap as the home cap would be best. And add an all black road cap.

Wish the Cards would go back to wearing their normal home uniforms in the postseason (no Saturday alts, no Sunday alt cap) like when LaRussa was the mgr.

Sort of agree with the alts, while I like them I wouldn't be opposed to not wearing them in the playoffs (still think they should be worn with a blue cap), but the Sunday alt cap is beautiful and should be worn as much as possible.

The Orioles blew it by wearing their alternates for both home games. It looks certain that they wont get a chance to wear their white jerseys again, based on the outcome of the first two games. Yes, the Orioles' home caps are bad. They're good for nostalgia, and they even work decently with the white jerseys, but they look terrible with the black and orange jerseys. The O's caps are possibly the worst cap in MLB right now, so they're not the solution. The Orioles should use their road caps with all alternates.

On that note, I didn't even realize they were wearing the crappy O's caps watching highlights because they were worn with the normal home helmets. Same thing with the Cardinals wearing their toothpick bird caps yesterday. Their pitchers and fielders had a different look than Wong when he hit the walkoff homer, and that's ridiculous. Once again, MLB needs to make a rule that if teams have regular alternate caps, they need to make matching batting helmets. Alternate caps shouldn't be worn in the playoffs anyway, but it's silly that a team could have different moments from the same (big homer, game ending K) game happen in different uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That's a terrible idea. Double-blue has been an essential element in the Blue Jays identity since the very beginning.

Indeed. The navy blue appears only twice on their uniforms anyways: in the logo (where it adds much-needed depth) and outlining the road script (which, while unnecessary, doesn't stand out).

Ah, I forgot that the darker blue appears in the jay head logo. Regardless, my big problem is the road script. As you said, the navy blue's unnecessary and adds nothing to the uniform. It's really bad because the Jays are one of very few teams in MLB that look good with white on the road uniform, and yet the navy outline only distracts from it.

Also, I'm glad to hear other people dislike the Cardinals alternate hat. I'm not opposed to the idea of an alternate cap for Sundays, but the cardinal looks gigantic in relation to the bat. I do love the cream alts, though.

The Cardinals' alternate cap is a lot like the Braves' tomahawk cap - a nice design on its own, and one that I would buy if I were a fan, but one that should be used only for BP.

As for their alternates, I welcomed them only in hopes that they'd be a stepping stone to putting "St. Louis" on the road uniforms. The fauxback aspect is cheesy, and there is no excuse for them to see playoff action. MLB really needs to make a "primaries only" rule for the postseason.

Does a jersey having a cream base really automatically make it a fauxback? In many cases it simply looks better with the colors of the logos and piping, but it also works for some of the oldest teams in baseball trying to maintain a classic look. The Cards definitely fit the criteria. Regardless of the cream base, the red piping works better with the script. The Cardinals' birds-on-the-bat draws more attention to the wordmark than on the average uniform, so the piping helps with maintaining the overall balance by not making the jersey so heavy in the center.

I do agree on the St. Louis script. It should absolutely be on the road uniform. It's in the same style as the nickname script; there's no consistency problems. It looks fine on the actual jersey. In almost every respect the Cardinals try to maintain the "classic" image, so it seems odd for them to deviate from the tradition in that respect.

The Orioles blew it by wearing their alternates for both home games. It looks certain that they wont get a chance to wear their white jerseys again, based on the outcome of the first two games. Yes, the Orioles' home caps are bad. They're good for nostalgia, and they even work decently with the white jerseys, but they look terrible with the black and orange jerseys. The O's caps are possibly the worst cap in MLB right now, so they're not the solution. The Orioles should use their road caps with all alternates.

On that note, I didn't even realize they were wearing the crappy O's caps watching highlights because they were worn with the normal home helmets. Same thing with the Cardinals wearing their toothpick bird caps yesterday. Their pitchers and fielders had a different look than Wong when he hit the walkoff homer, and that's ridiculous. Once again, MLB needs to make a rule that if teams have regular alternate caps, they need to make matching batting helmets. Alternate caps shouldn't be worn in the playoffs anyway, but it's silly that a team could have different moments from the same (big homer, game ending K) game happen in different uniforms.

They don't wear the home caps with the black jerseys. They wear the O's cap with those. However, they do use the home batting helmets.

They don't wear the home caps with the black jerseys. They wear the O's cap with those. However, they do use the home batting helmets.

I know they wear the O's cap with the black jerseys at home. I was referring to the batting helmet in that instance. It's particularly egregious since they completely excluded white from the black jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't understand people's opposition to the O's white panel cap. Yes, the black stitching on the edge is hideous, but why the outcry for making the road cap the home cap? Yawn.

My ideal scenario:

-Remove the black stitching from the white panel

-Wear white panel cap at home with white homes and orange alts

-Limit black alt jersey to road status ONLY

-Scrap "O's" cap altogether

-I'd be fine with the occasional orange alt on the road too.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I don't understand people's opposition to the O's white panel cap. Yes, the black stitching on the edge is hideous, but why the outcry for making the road cap the home cap? Yawn.

My ideal scenario:

Welcome back.

I don't mind the home cap either. I agree with all of this, except for the last point. The orange jersey should be worn at home only. In addition, add white outlines to the numbers and script, and alter the latter. I know this discussion pops up rather frequently, but the current script is too "contrived". It's so skewed and "tight" looking. Something more natural would be a huge improvement. That doesn't have to mean a return to the 1950s/60s style scripts (though that would be nice); even a return to the pre-2012 script would be an improvement.

My ideal scenario:

They're ugly and out of place with their classic looking home uniforms, and they belong in the '70s and '80s.

My ideal scenario:

They're ugly and out of place with their classic looking home uniforms, and they belong in the '70s and '80s.

You took the words out of my mouth. The Orioles road caps may be among my top five of all time, but I don't like the homes for the reasons you gave.

That being said, they would be vastly improved if they styled them after this year's All Star game caps, and did the same with the helmets.

pDSP1-18526749dt.jpg

As is, there's just too much white. I know the caps are keeping with tradition, but the helmets are just one of two or three styles they wore in the 70s and 80s. For example, this one had a much smaller white panel:

p-487122-eddie-murray-1978-topps-basebal

Archived