2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

The Yankees just need to lose the white from their roads and call it a day.

It'd be nice if they re-adopted the Red Sox number font, but that's probably too closely associated with Boston at this point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall someone's account of the white-on-navy pinstripes idea going so far as to make it to Steinbrenner's desk in concrete form one day in the 70s. The Boss supposedly said "Get those awful pajamas out of here," and hastily shooed the marketing employee from his office.

I will say that it looks cool as a fashion jersey (this coming from a guy who's anything but a fan of "fashion" knockoffs) but I agree with the majority that they should never see the playing field.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I meant just a batting practice/Spring Training Uniform top. I think the navy w/ white pinstripes would clash.

I jus thought it might be realistic now that they've given their minor league teams an alt uniform when they didn't have them before

Maybe a vest would go over better? I figure any alt, short of trotting out the Murderers' Row grays, would be polarizing anyway simply because it's the Yankees...but as I'd put in the description below, I think the Yankees could pull off a vest with some variant of the script from their traditional dugout jackets, like so.

yankees61lonealt1.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I seem to recall someone's account of the white-on-navy pinstripes idea going so far as to make it to Steinbrenner's desk in concrete form one day in the 70s. The Boss supposedly said "Get those awful pajamas out of here," and hastily shooed the marketing employee from his office.

Why am I reminded of "Seinfeld" when reading this?

used to root for texas........got 4 aut. jerseys at 350 a pop

but now, with hamilton, napoli, and kinsler gone....and then enter fatty......i am done with them

there are only that many bonehead moves a fan can tolerate

Bonehead moves? Well, you could be an Angels fan and all their "smart" moves. But you can't giveup, if Cubs fans can survive all the bonehead moves by that franchise, you got 50 more years of bonehead moves to be allowed to give up on the Rangers! :lol:

but cubs fans are just nerds and hipsters, supporting the team because it´s smart and cool cheering for a lifetime loser..........if they ever won a championship all their "fans" would vanish...... :lol: ......but seriously, i don´t like anaheim, but now they got hamilton and freese, two of my fave players........very annoying........and my fave eat is trout....maybe God is telling me to convert ?

It's "favorite", not "fave eat".

used to root for texas........got 4 aut. jerseys at 350 a pop

but now, with hamilton, napoli, and kinsler gone....and then enter fatty......i am done with them

there are only that many bonehead moves a fan can tolerate

Bonehead moves? Well, you could be an Angels fan and all their "smart" moves. But you can't giveup, if Cubs fans can survive all the bonehead moves by that franchise, you got 50 more years of bonehead moves to be allowed to give up on the Rangers! :lol:

but cubs fans are just nerds and hipsters, supporting the team because it´s smart and cool cheering for a lifetime loser..........if they ever won a championship all their "fans" would vanish...... :lol: ......but seriously, i don´t like anaheim, but now they got hamilton and freese, two of my fave players........very annoying........and my fave eat is trout....maybe God is telling me to convert ?

It's "favorite", not "fave eat".

it was a pun..........since my favorite thing to eat is trout ...........it was short for "my favorite eat is trout"

Also, according to myth, that was almost the Yankee road jersey, complete with matching pants, in the 70s when we got the current roads.

Not a "myth" at all - their PR man wrote about it in his book. Almost happened. And it wasn't Steinbrenner who killed it, it was (IIRC) Gabe Paul.

If you want a plain navy jersey with the NY logo, just buy a BP. No need to mess up the actual on-field uniforms.

pMLB2-15234482dt.jpg

Also, according to myth, that was almost the Yankee road jersey, complete with matching pants, in the 70s when we got the current roads.

Not a "myth" at all - their PR man wrote about it in his book. Almost happened. And it wasn't Steinbrenner who killed it, it was (IIRC) Gabe Paul.

If you want a plain navy jersey with the NY logo, just buy a BP. No need to mess up the actual on-field uniforms.

pMLB2-15234482dt.jpg

Its not having the jersey, its seeing the jersey on field. The same jersey set, for EVERY GAME I've ever watched, except the throwback game against Boston. Its boring. Its dull. I like the uniforms, but they're too simple. I want a change. Even if its just a few games a year.

Unless you're a fan of a team that doesn't do Alts or Throwbacks, and i think the only team like that now is the Dodgers, You wont understand.

Its not having the jersey, its seeing the jersey on field. The same jersey set, for EVERY GAME I've ever watched, except the throwback game against Boston. Its boring. Its dull. I like the uniforms, but they're too simple. I want a change. Even if its just a few games a year.

Unless you're a fan of a team that doesn't do Alts or Throwbacks, and i think the only team like that now is the Dodgers, You wont understand.

Here's the thing. The Yankees' pinstripes are part of their brand, part of the Yankees experience. Say I went to New York and bought a ticket to a Yankees game. If the Yankees took the field wearing navy blue alternates I'd feel like the experience I paid for was lessoned. Seeing the Yankees in New York in pinstripes is part of that experience. One that shouldn't be chipped away at.

That's an excellent sentiment.

I also think there's a continuity there worth hanging on to at all costs. When a team changes uniforms, it creates a visual break from the past. Often, that's precisely the point. But when the past is glorious and worth celebrating, then that break is actually damaging to the brand.

The Yankees don't need to water down their identity. They have something almost every other club would gladly trade it all for.

pMLB2-15234482dt.jpg

I've been a Cardinals fan my whole life and until this year they never wore a full-time alternate. And although it's a nice looking jersey (I even have a replica), I'd rather they go back to only 2 jerseys.

Here's the thing. The Yankees' pinstripes are part of their brand, part of the Yankees experience. Say I went to New York and bought a ticket to a Yankees game. If the Yankees took the field wearing navy blue alternates I'd feel like the experience I paid for was lessoned. Seeing the Yankees in New York in pinstripes is part of that experience. One that shouldn't be chipped away at.

I've made that exact same point about the let down I felt when I went to wrigley for the first time and the cubs were wearing glorified BPs that day. It's a real thing, and teams need to understand and respect it. There's no Marlins "experience". There's no Diamondbacks "experience". There's no "experience" for most of the teams. But it's different for a few teams, and they should respect that at every one of their games, there's people there who are making their first and possibly only visit.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I've made that exact same point about the let down I felt when I went to wrigley for the first time and the cubs were wearing glorified BPs that day. It's a real thing, and teams need to understand and respect it. There's no Marlins "experience". There's no Diamondbacks "experience". There's no

"experience" for most of the teams. But it's different for a few teams, and they should respect that at every one of their games, there's people there who are making their first and possibly only visit.

The only way my Cubs experience would be lessened would be the if they didn't lose
07Giants.pngnyy.png

That's an excellent sentiment.

I also think there's a continuity there worth hanging on to at all costs. When a team changes uniforms, it creates a visual break from the past. Often, that's precisely the point. But when the past is glorious and worth celebrating, then that break is actually damaging to the brand.

The Yankees don't need to water down their identity. They have something almost every other club would gladly trade it all for.

the NBA team with the most history has a black, and a gold alternates, and i don't believe either of them damaged the brand or broke any tradition. I don't see why the Yankees can't have an alternate, a blue alternate wouldn't be the end of the world for them, it wouldn't damage their brand. As long as there is a NY on the hat everything else is fine

Archived