2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

I'm personally tired of the Wahoo debate, and I am sure the Indians owners are as well. So they will slowly phase the Wahoo logo out (which is the best way to do it to avoid backlash from vocal fans). I'd like to see something better than the block C, but they have been building that one for awhile.

Now does this appease the PC crowd, or do they go for the jugular and demand they drop the name Indians as well?

No friggin chance the savage PC crowd will ever back down until every last visible incarnation of the Cleveland Indians is completly wiped off the American map. They have absolutely no remorse about stripping us all of our God-Given American Freedoms.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm personally tired of the Wahoo debate, and I am sure the Indians owners are as well. So they will slowly phase the Wahoo logo out (which is the best way to do it to avoid backlash from vocal fans). I'd like to see something better than the block C, but they have been building that one for awhile.

Now does this appease the PC crowd, or do they go for the jugular and demand they drop the name Indians as well?

Agreed I too am tired of it. I fear though there is always going to be someone offended by something so when this has passed, there will be a new cause to jump on.

Given that threads tend to devolve into "sh1t-shows" whenever the topic of Native American-themed branding in sports surfaces in them, let's resolve to share our thoughts and opinions on said subject - and consider the thoughts and opinions of others on the issue - in a respectful and non-inflammatory manner.

You're free to engage in expressing the reasoning behind the formation of your thoughts and opinions on the topic of Native American-themed sports branding, so long as you can do so without insulting other members of this community by labeling them, their thoughts, their ideas, and their opinions as "racist", "bigoted", "intolerant", "politically incorrect", "PC", "liberal", "conservative", etc. Further, don't drag this thread too far afield by engaging in a long-winded diatribe on the topics of racism, bigotry, intolerance, politically-incorrect or politically-correct behavior, or any variety of socio-political philosophies.

Bottom line? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions. Peruse the thoughts and opinions of others. DO NOT berate the the thoughts and opinions of those you don't agree with; rather, ignore them and move on. DO NOT treat others in a callous and disrespectful manner.

Posts that don't meet these guidelines will be deleted. If too many posts to this thread become disrespectful and/or inflammatory in nature, the entire thread will be deleted.

Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation.

The Cleveland Indians are one of the older teams out there. A block C may not be the most exciting thing in the world but it works in context.

And honestly that solid red block C against a navy cap is, IMO, one of the best caps in the league. A long tenured team like the Indians can pull it off. Just get rid of the red cap.

http://m.clevescene.com/cleveland/blogs/Post?basename=cleveland-indians-changing-official-primary-logo-to-block-c&day=08&id=scene-and-heard&month=01&year=2014

According to that, block C will become Indians official primary logo. Wahoo still on home hats, and jersey sleeves. Let the slow phase out begin.

Probably a smart move. Just slink away under the controversy while the 'Skins take the heat. Just formalizes what they've been doing for several years now. Also might explain why when I went to the mall neither Lids nor Hat Club were carrying Wahoo caps anymore.

The Cleveland Indians are one of the older teams out there. A block C may not be the most exciting thing in the world but it works in context.

And honestly that solid red block C against a navy cap is, IMO, one of the best caps in the league. A long tenured team like the Indians can pull it off. Just get rid of the red cap.

Great cap logo. For some reason it was awful in the '80s with the white outline though. Pretty ridiculously simple and vague for a primary logo though. Not that an old English D or an isolated pair of socks isn't either, and not that interlocking "NY" wouldn't be if it were the primary - but at least those ones are a little more iconic and recognizable. The Indians don't "own" a block C enough for it to stand on its own as a primary logo. They should come up with something less skimpy...throw a feather behind it or something? I don't know.

Forgot about the Pirates P. I hate this minimalist primary logo trend. It reminds me of all the dead ball era "logos" on the mothership - since real logos didn't exist (I assume), we just use some uniform element like a wordmark or initial instead.

Oh, gotcha. The P is a strong logo, but the Pirate has been on their primary for almost 80 years. I thought if they cleaned it up a bit, got rid of the red, it'd be good enough. Hopefully it'll still be around as a secondary?

You really think a single letter can be a "strong logo"? It's great for a cap, just like that D in your avatar, but man I just don't think these initials should stand along as a primary logo.

On a serious note, how can they even trademark these things? A single letter / color combination, (in a fairly nondescript font in Cleveland's case? If I sell blue shirts that say "CAT" on them in red block font, does that infringe on the Indians copyright since it incorporates their 'primary logo'?)

First I hate the red cap, so that hat can go away tomorrow. As far as the block C... I think it's too plain, even for a long tenured team like the Indians. The C needs some character. It's not the early 20th century. Liven it up a tad.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

First I hate the red cap, so that hat can go away tomorrow. As far as the block C... I think it's too plain, even for a long tenured team like the Indians. The C needs some character. It's not the early 20th century. Liven it up a tad.

I think that block C is absolutely terrible. If they insist on phasing out Wahoo the least they can do is come up with something better than the C.

I think that block C is absolutely terrible. If they insist on phasing out Wahoo the least they can do is come up with something better than the C.

Yeah exactly...come up with a logo (probably a C-based logo) that is better than Wahoo AND the current boring C logo. Give people something to be excited about so they don't have the need to be nostalgic about Wahoo and Major League. We've seen great concepts here...

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Oh, gotcha. The P is a strong logo, but the Pirate has been on their primary for almost 80 years. I thought if they cleaned it up a bit, got rid of the red, it'd be good enough. Hopefully it'll still be around as a secondary?

You really think a single letter can be a "strong logo"? It's great for a cap, just like that D in your avatar, but man I just don't think these initials should stand along as a primary logo.

On a serious note, how can they even trademark these things? A single letter / color combination, (in a fairly nondescript font in Cleveland's case? If I sell blue shirts that say "CAT" on them in red block font, does that infringe on the Indians copyright since it incorporates their 'primary logo'?)

A single letter can be a strong logo, if it's styled in a way that's trademarkable, and is very much associated with the organization it represents (pretty much a prerequisite for any good logo). Look at the Greatness Packers for example.

A single C can work, however the team hasn't built up enough equity in that particular mark for it to just inconspicuously slide in as the new primary. IMO a new logo should have been created - definitely letter based - that was more distinct and identifiable. They should've had an unveiling or something, so that non-home fans would have a better chance of knowing what the new logo they see is for, instead of just seeing a C and relying on context to put the pieces together.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived