2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot about the Pirates P. I hate this minimalist primary logo trend. It reminds me of all the dead ball era "logos" on the mothership - since real logos didn't exist (I assume), we just use some uniform element like a wordmark or initial instead.

I know what you mean I feel the same way about the NFL logo

The Cleveland Indians are one of the older teams out there. A block C may not be the most exciting thing in the world but it works in context.

And honestly that solid red block C against a navy cap is, IMO, one of the best caps in the league. A long tenured team like the Indians can pull it off. Just get rid of the red cap.

First I hate the red cap, so that hat can go away tomorrow. As far as the block C... I think it's too plain, even for a long tenured team like the Indians. The C needs some character. It's not the early 20th century. Liven it up a tad.

I think that block C is absolutely terrible. If they insist on phasing out Wahoo the least they can do is come up with something better than the C.

I wonder if their choice of a plain generic logo isn't also the first step toward an eventual complete rebrand. Once Wahoo disappears for good, nothing else about the team's look (other than the wordmark, or course) gives any clue as to the team's current nickname, which is ideal for a transition to a new one.

CCSLC signature.png

Forgot about the Pirates P. I hate this minimalist primary logo trend. It reminds me of all the dead ball era "logos" on the mothership - since real logos didn't exist (I assume), we just use some uniform element like a wordmark or initial instead.

I don't see them as the same thing at all. The NFL logo is more than just letters.

The problem I have with Cleveland's block C is that it doesn't match anything on any of their uniforms. The script uniforms use double outlines; the block C has none. The fauxback uniforms use sans-serif text; the block C has serifs. Design a uniform set that looks like the block C actually belongs to it, and everything's dandy. Currently, though, the hats look like a generic afterthought.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

My biggest issue with using the C as more than a throwback cap is it has no character. For the most part, any other letter logo has some individualized element or at least appears that way. A's, StL, NY (both), even the Cubs C has the outline and feels custom. The closest comparison would be Tampa's TB and Colorado's CR. I give the CR a pass because, although it's not great or good, it does have some character with the inline colors and at least the letters overlap.

I'd rather see either the "I" cap return, or if you are a stickler for no nickname initials, maybe a C in that style. Or…start over. Wahoo just has to go, its just as bad as the Redskins name and amazing its held on this long.

We've been force fed the Block C here in Cleveland, so I've gotten used to it. Maybe those outside of Cleveland don't immediately think of the Indians when they see it, but locally it has. That doesn't mean that there are fans that will be ticked off about Chief Wahoo going away, but it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Also, I used to hate the red with the navy block C, but it has grown on me as well. One of my favorite hats I own.

free-shipping-25pcs-Cleveland-Indians-ca

Okay, but there's far better solutions to not using Chief Wahoo than this.

111376091_display_image.jpg?1301707367

Horrible. Worst hat in baseball. Stop wearing it forever. Burn all evidence that it ever existed. Give $15 to any fan wearing one and then burn that too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

My biggest issue with using the C as more than a throwback cap is it has no character. For the most part, any other letter logo has some individualized element or at least appears that way. A's, StL, NY (both), even the Cubs C has the outline and feels custom. The closest comparison would be Tampa's TB and Colorado's CR. I give the CR a pass because, although it's not great or good, it does have some character with the inline colors and at least the letters overlap.

I'd rather see either the "I" cap return, or if you are a stickler for no nickname initials, maybe a C in that style. Or…start over. Wahoo just has to go, its just as bad as the Redskins name and amazing its held on this long.

The problem is all the good C's are taken!

I think this one works fine on the cap and works well with a fauxback sort of identity, with the current mismatched road / alt home set. But for a primary logo...

It's fine to use a generic C for the cap - but that doesn't stop it from being generic! It doesn't automatically gain equity by being on the cap. I hope they can come up with something additional in the future that's more substantial.

Ironically, controversy aside, I always thought the wahoo lacked something as a primary logo itself - I've always felt a primary logo needs a wordmark incorporated somewhere. I know that's a common criticism of NBA logos and an unpopular opinion though.

I don't see them as the same thing at all. The NFL logo is more than just letters.
What I meant was I grew up with TV using the helmets as the primary logo and half of MLB now using the cap logo as the primary.

I guess this cap screams 1970s, but I always liked it and would like to see it make a comeback.

5058dc1b6b3f3dfe93fa26f41ca62376.jpg

Great hat. Wish they had used that instead when they brought back the C. But I have a sentimental attachment to it: my Legion ball team wore that hat, so I associate it with that.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Ironically, controversy aside, I always thought the wahoo lacked something as a primary logo itself - I've always felt a primary logo needs a wordmark incorporated somewhere. I know that's a common criticism of NBA logos and an unpopular opinion though.

No, I agree with you. I believe until the Red Sox changed their primary to just the hanging socks, it was the only primary logo not to have some alphabetic representation of their name, whether spelling it out or just using a letter from it (Angels, Tigers). I didn't like that. And while I'm on the topic, the Red Sox are a team that actually should have a roundel primary.

The block C is okay, and an upgrade for my OCD-ish insistence that all cap logos be monograms, but I'm still not enthusiastic about where their brand is going in general, which is everywhere and nowhere at once. They have a real mess going from too many tweaks. And still, I'm just of the unpopular opinion that there's been enough time and context to mostly defang Chief Wahoo as any sort of instrument of hate. Whereas the word "Redskins," despite generally only being used as the name of a football team, still sounds icky, I can't contextualize Chief Wahoo as anything other than Cleveland's baseball logo. I'm probably wrong, but I don't sweat it too much. I'm not out to save the world here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm from Cleveland and I get the whole debate.Cleveland.com talked to one of the Indians advisor and they said that Chief Wahoo is still the primary. They did state that both logos will be used the same and also saying that the way MLB uses logos, they her to adjust. I wish I could share the article, but I'm using my phone to write this.I'm sick and tired of hearing this argument. It always comes up every year. I felt that Chief Wahoo and the block C are good logos and people in Cleveland like Wahoo because of the tradition. The Indians won't change unless they have to..kind of like North Dakota Fighting Sioux case.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Archived