2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

So about that Cubs hat - what changed? The blue looks possibly a little darker, but that photo is certainly not difinitive.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Cubs hat doesn't look any different. I think the lighting just makes the front look a little darker.

I know cursive, but I almost never use it anymore. If I have to write a short essay or something for school by hand, it ends up being about 75% printed. I'll connect a few letters in cursive if it's faster, but it's easier/faster for me to just print.

Oh, and Rizzuto's not a word, he's a baseball player!

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wouldn't call it dumbed down. Can you write in hieroglyphics or speak Old English? Languages and writing styles evolve. Cursive served a purpose at a time when you had to dip your pen into an ink well, but now we all carry around mini computers with word processing capability. I can type a thousand times faster than I can write in either cursive or print. It's an antiquated form or writing that no longer has a purpose in today's world.

That's a horribly inaccurate comparison. You can't compare a contemporary writing style with a dead language, especially when one of them was spoken by a dead society. We're talking about a more convenient way to write current English, which is still in use... a lot.

To name a few places it is used in our own sphere of sports: the Orioles, White Sox, Indians, Tigers, Royals, Twins, Yankees, Athletics, Braves, Reds, Dodgers, Brewers, Mets, Phillies, Padres, Nationals, Islanders, Coyotes, Winter Classic, Heritage Classic, Cal Golden Bears, Florida Gators, Idaho Vandals, Indiana State Sycamores, Ole Miss Rebels, UCLA Bruins, William and Mary Tribe, Puerto Rican Soccer, and Manchester City F.C. all use cursive to some extent.

Outside of sports, it is used by Chick-fil-A, Disney, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola, Coors, Barbie, Ford, Campbell's, Virgin, Barq's, Knorr, Breyers, Unilever, General Mills, Eggo, Cadbury, and Kudos all use cursive.

And that's just a small sample size.

That Cubs hat doesn't look any different. I think the lighting just makes the front look a little darker.

I know cursive, but I almost never use it anymore. If I have to write a short essay or something for school by hand, it ends up being about 75% printed. I'll connect a few letters in cursive if it's faster, but it's easier/faster for me to just print.

Oh, and Rizzuto's not a word, he's a baseball player!

Write out "buzz".

spacer.png

spacer.png

We were taught cursive in second or third grade, but but fourth grade, most kids just stopped using it. My mom always complains how they don't teach vocabulary or cursive anymore. I agree. I was always bad at printing and cursive, and many of my friends had terrible as well. We were more-or-less taught enough to get by, but there were no expectations for us to write well. I think it's easier to read bad handwriting than bad cursive, so maybe that's part of the reason why schools don't teach cursive as much anymore.

I personally gave up cursive around 4th grade and didn't get back into it until college. I've since improved my handwriting. It's much quicker for taking notes. Although everything is on computers now, most people still take notes on paper during class, not on laptops. I took a laptop to class a few times, and I was the only jackass tapping away and disrupting the whole room. Maybe with things transferring to tablets now, people will be able to type in a quieter manner and nobody will bring notebooks to class anymore. Either way, I think cursive is a valuable skill.

And to the original point, I never saw the issue with the "I" in Indians. It was terrible as a standalone logo, but it works fine as part of the script.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

A criticism of the whole Indians script that I've read here a few times is that it's an uncanny-valley facsimile of cursive, one that's too perfectly rendered to have been drawn by hand. Same's been said for the Phillies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A criticism of the whole Indians script that I've read here a few times is that it's an uncanny-valley facsimile of cursive, one that's too perfectly rendered to have been drawn by hand. Same's been said for the Phillies.

Yeah - by me. Repeatedly. The 40s and 50s version had much more organic charm. Letters like H don't have round bottoms. I never thought I'd be discussing round bottoms in a forum like this, but here we are.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah - by me. Repeatedly. The 40s and 50s version had much more organic charm. Letters like H don't have round bottoms. I never thought I'd be discussing round bottoms in a forum like this, but here we are.

Actually, if you're talking a cursive font like the Phillies, the "h" should have a round bottom. Cursive fonts are suppose to represents a person's handwriting and I've never been able to see anyone handwrite a flat "h", there is always a roundness to the bottom.

Actually, if you're talking a cursive font like the Phillies, the "h" should have a round bottom. Cursive fonts are suppose to represents a person's handwriting and I've never been able to see anyone handwrite a flat "h", there is always a roundness to the bottom.

Huh? I've never seen someone write a cursive "h" that is round at the bottom. Go to the college basketball thread and look at the "h" on the Kansas uniforms that were just posted. Or any of the Phillies old scripts. You'd have to go out of your way to round the bottom of the "h" in cursive.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Jndians? You guys never learned cursive? I like the "I"

To be fair, it's not taught in schools anymore. (At least not in Mississippi.)

Really? That's a shame. When did this happen?

Around the time the idiots started controlling the asylum. It happened here in NC as well. The ONLY thing I will give credit to the Republican General Assembly here is that they recently made it state law that cursive be taught in schools. It's in decline to be sure, but it's far from dead.

Is cursive even really necessary, save for signing your name or John Hancock if you will?

Well, someone might want to read their rights as guaranteed under our Constitution, or anything else written by hand prior to 1970 or so. So... yeah.

nav-logo.png

I think we're confusing which bottom of the H, since the H ends in two bottoms. The right part is always rounded when written in cursive. The left never is, but it's more just a thickening of the linework than a curve. Unless you mean the lack of a loop at the top. That IS odd.

spacer.png

spacer.png

We were taught cursive in second or third grade, but but fourth grade, most kids just stopped using it. My mom always complains how they don't teach vocabulary or cursive anymore. I agree. I was always bad at printing and cursive, and many of my friends had terrible as well. We were more-or-less taught enough to get by, but there were no expectations for us to write well. I think it's easier to read bad handwriting than bad cursive, so maybe that's part of the reason why schools don't teach cursive as much anymore.

I personally gave up cursive around 4th grade and didn't get back into it until college. I've since improved my handwriting. It's much quicker for taking notes. Although everything is on computers now, most people still take notes on paper during class, not on laptops. I took a laptop to class a few times, and I was the only jackass tapping away and disrupting the whole room. Maybe with things transferring to tablets now, people will be able to type in a quieter manner and nobody will bring notebooks to class anymore. Either way, I think cursive is a valuable skill.

And to the original point, I never saw the issue with the "I" in Indians. It was terrible as a standalone logo, but it works fine as part of the script.

I don't know where or when you went to school, but for me (graduated Rutgers in '12) the vast majority of students brought laptops...paper notebooks were a rare sight.

Anubis.png

I don't know where or when you went to school, but for me (graduated Rutgers in '12) the vast majority of students brought laptops...paper notebooks were a rare sight.

Perhaps it's a matter of field. In my Architecture class, no one had a laptop. Then again, right now I can't say that more than 15 percent of the people I know own a laptop at all, let alone plan to carry it around for note-taking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Huh? I've never seen someone write a cursive "h" that is round at the bottom. Go to the college basketball thread and look at the "h" on the Kansas uniforms that were just posted. Or any of the Phillies old scripts. You'd have to go out of your way to round the bottom of the "h" in cursive.

Really? Then you've never looked at people's writing. I see it all the time. Here's an example of a rounded bottom "h" and a straight bottomed "h". The thing is, it is physically impossible to write a flat bottomed "h". The thing is, and if you talk to anyone who looks at writing, you can not have a flat-bottomed "h". It's an optical illusion, it looks flat, but it never is flat.

Phillies.jpg

Jndians? You guys never learned cursive? I like the "I"

To be fair, it's not taught in schools anymore. (At least not in Mississippi.)

Really? That's a shame. When did this happen?

Around the time the idiots started controlling the asylum. It happened here in NC as well. The ONLY thing I will give credit to the Republican General Assembly here is that they recently made it state law that cursive be taught in schools. It's in decline to be sure, but it's far from dead.

Did they bring back Latin classes and slide-rules as well?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Really? Then you've never looked at people's writing. I see it all the time. Here's an example of a rounded bottom "h" and a straight bottomed "h". The thing is, it is physically impossible to write a flat bottomed "h". The thing is, and if you talk to anyone who looks at writing, you can not have a flat-bottomed "h". It's an optical illusion, it looks flat, but it never is flat.

Phillies.jpg

I'm still confused as to which "loop" you're referring to. Is it the first loop or the second loop? If you're referring to the Phillies script on the jersey, it's neither of these. And the script on the Phillies jersey is very possible if you don't start your "H" at the bottom, as you are showing here, rather just from the top as you would write it in print.

Go A's!

Archived