2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

Cubs. Too much. Have some self control and have one throwback a year. You've watered down the concept.

It's for the 100th anniversary of Wrigley Field. They'll presumably drop most, if not all, of these throwbacks after this upcoming season.

Yeah, these are all anniversary one-offs.

Really hoping they outfit the Brewers in 1937 road throwbacks to match.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Oakland's whole set. Among the top 5 in the league overall in my opinion. The colors, the cleanliness of everything, the way the scripts and colors pop.

I agree. The only thing I'd change is to ditch the road cap and wear the yellow bills in all 162 games. That's one of the best hats in the entire sport of baseball and should be worn as often as possible.
I disagree. Their road hat fits perfectly with the road set. The white A's logo (just as with their white cleats) always looks out of place with the road set.

I think it looks okay, but it's weird... it's pretty much the only white logo on a hat that looks out of place on road grays (I guess the Tigers look odd when they do it in Spring Training). The Yankees, Braves, Dodgers, Phillies, White Sox, Royals (similar to Dodgers), and Padres (essentially the Yankees) pull it off. The Braves and Dodgers don't have white accents on the gray jerseys, either.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That looks like absolute garbage. It seriously looks like what a low-budget Little League team named the Cubs would wear.

No. The turn ahead the clock crap you so love is what little league teams would wear - t-shirts. This looks like something a high-budget adult softball team would wear.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I could buy the Daytona or Iowa Cubs wearing this, but it's a real yawner for the big league team.

I will say this; if they were dead set on having that exact script on a jersey, I would've maybe dared to make the alt powder blue, with powder blue pants. If the script's gonna be meh, you could at least try to make the rest of the jersey stand out.

Cubs. Too much. Have some self control and have one throwback a year. You've watered down the concept.

The Cubs have had one throwback day at Wrigley ever. I think they've had plenty of self-control.

The road alt is terrible. I've warmed to the current road because I knew whatever they came up with would be worse.

But the '37 could be the basis for something new and I could live with it.

The road alternate is one of the worst MLB jerseys ever and I don't think I'm exaggerating. It looks like China counterfeiters tried to fake the jerseys they sell at WalMart.

I like the idea of doing one throwback jersey from each decade, though. I don't think it's too much either. Some are really cool, some are cool to see them actually wear even though the jerseys are old and bad, and some just flat out suck. But that should be about what you'd expect from a team wearing one jersey per decade from the past 100 years.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The time the Cubs did the throwback game with the first couple innings in black-and-white was so cool. I really enjoyed that game against the Boston Braves.

But man, look at all these bad uniforms! Especially the road one! And the Dave Kingman blue jammies, too!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The alt jersey would look better without any red and the blue is changed into navy

So, the Cubs' road jersey would look better if it didn't actually feature a single team color?

Well, management seems to think the Cubs would be best if they were actually the Boston Red Sox, and that Wrigley Field would be perfect if you took away everything that makes it Wrigley Field, so I wouldn't rule that out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I was just scrolling through Dressed to the Nines and the Cubs unis dating all the way back and this seems like the worst option. There are so many beautiful jerseys they could have used as a road throwback. Seems like they nailed the home ones and treated the road one like a complete afterthought.

mets.png

Okay, the worst insult of this road alt, as seen on the sportslogos.net news post...

http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/01/17/chicago-cubs-unveil-four-throwback-jerseys-for-2014/

...is that the number they chose to model this reveal is not honoring one of their greatest players, but instead representing a generic "PLAYER."

When I saw these yesterday I thought it was stupid to use Ernie Banks' retired 14 for a 1920 fauxback to be worn in 2014.

But no, they're just using a retired number because it matches the year.

But hey, 31 is retired for a Brave, so why should I expect reverence.

Tone. Deaf.

Archived