2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't abhor this Cubs alternate, but it seems like (with last year's Astros roll-out as another example) that MLB, in an effort to turn around a generation of flamboyancy in sports aesthetics, has over-corrected. Instead of just simplifying designs, they've decided to go right to a 1955 Spalding catalog for design inspiration.

Again, I like the intent. But it seems like there should be a happy medium that was overlooked in this process.

I like the ten throwbacks/one for each decade idea. A bit much? Maybe, but it's perfectly fine for a 100th anniversary celebration.

The road alternate, though, just looks generic.

Cubs alt looks fine to me. I thought the straight-out-of-1947 look was what CCSLC was all about?

Obviously not. You just mistook a common preference for "traditional" aesthetics to mean that everyone wanted every team to look like they came out of the 1940s. Don't worry though, you'll get the hang of it once you actually start paying attention to what people say instead of making sweeping generalizations :)

Okay, the worst insult of this road alt, as seen on the sportslogos.net news post...http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/01/17/chicago-cubs-unveil-four-throwback-jerseys-for-2014/

...is that the number they chose to model this reveal is not honoring one of their greatest players, but instead representing a generic "PLAYER."

When I saw these yesterday I thought it was stupid to use Ernie Banks' retired 14 for a 1920 fauxback to be worn in 2014.

But no, they're just using a retired number because it matches the year.

But hey, 31 is retired for a Brave, so why should I expect reverence.

Tone. Deaf.

Majestic may have only been able to produce one prototype jersey, perhaps. A lot of companies put the team name (Nike) or a placeholder 'player' on the nameplate for display/photo shoot purposes.

We're what, 80 days out from any of these being worn?

For all those complaining about the Cubs' lack of "restraint," listen to the other posters: it's Wrigley's 100th anniversary, which is kind of a big deal. None of the throwbacks are likely to last beyond this season; it's going to be a 2012 Astros-type promotional season.

Add me to the list of those unimpressed with the new alt. Not terrible IMO, but very "meh" and could have been much more interesting. I guess I never realized before that for a club so steeped in tradition, the Cubs sure have undergone a lot of uniform changes.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Okay, the worst insult of this road alt, as seen on the sportslogos.net news post...http://news.sportslogos.net/2014/01/17/chicago-cubs-unveil-four-throwback-jerseys-for-2014/

...is that the number they chose to model this reveal is not honoring one of their greatest players, but instead representing a generic "PLAYER."

When I saw these yesterday I thought it was stupid to use Ernie Banks' retired 14 for a 1920 fauxback to be worn in 2014.

But no, they're just using a retired number because it matches the year.

But hey, 31 is retired for a Brave, so why should I expect reverence.

Tone. Deaf.

Majestic may have only been able to produce one prototype jersey, perhaps. A lot of companies put the team name (Nike) or a placeholder 'player' on the nameplate for display/photo shoot purposes.

We're what, 80 days out from any of these being worn?

They managed to put a 5 on all the rest...

I love the Cubs alt. It's simple, clean, and it looks nice. I think they were going for a generic look.

On a un related not, I got a Yankee BP jersey today for only 30 dollars, and it looks so nice on person. If they got rid of the sides, ey should consider it as a Road alt. The pinstripes are a tradition, the Road uniforms aren't,

I love the Cubs alt. It's simple, clean, and it looks nice. I think they were going for a generic look.

On a un related not, I got a Yankee BP jersey today for only 30 dollars, and it looks so nice on person. If they got rid of the sides, ey should consider it as a Road alt. The pinstripes are a tradition, the Road uniforms aren't,

How'd you get a new one at that price?

Go A's!

How'd you get a new one at that price?

no number and it's actually the 2013 road one lol. I should've been more specific.

I kow one thing, the new road alt is a bit of a downer, but then I'm among those that hates the actual road jersey, so it coulda been better, but is at least not a complete travesty. Good to see the vest in play, hopefully something comes of that in the future. And it seems they figured 1-"we wear blue jerseys a lot anyway" and 2-"gray at home? who do you think we are, the Rockies?"...thus, the 94 BP jerseys.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Is it a one-year road alt, like to celebrate the anniversary or something? Or is this thing the alt until further notice? If the latter, then yikes. I don't hate it nearly as much as most of you, I just don't get why they need it.

I'd love their roads to be one of the following:

1. A Chicago script (with or without a tail) similar to the Bulls or White Sox script. Obviously the fact that the White Sox use it makes it very unlikely that they'd go with something like it. Maybe a tail would separate it enough.

2. A gray version of the home jersey, sans pinstripes. Or hell - use the pinstripes. Whatever.

3. A vertically arched CHICAGO in block with serifs (again, like the Bulls).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is it a one-year road alt, like to celebrate the anniversary or something? Or is this thing the alt until further notice? If the latter, then yikes. I don't hate it nearly as much as most of you, I just don't get why they need it.

1. A Chicago script (with or without a tail) similar to the Bulls or White Sox script. Obviously the fact that the White Sox use it makes it very unlikely that they'd go with something like it. Maybe a tail would separate it enough.

A script like this would be great, I think:

$(KGrHqNHJE4FCbLWo+,9BQupo0mdVg~~60_57.J

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

The name "Chicago" is perfect for a cursive script. It's balanced, has a lot of curves, has the g with the descender which provides balance against the C and H, it's just perfect.

Even with a tail, the tail can loop through the G which is great.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Where have I seen that before....oh

chicago-white-sox-road-grey-mlb-replica-

Anubis.png

The new Cubs jersey is still way better than their current road

I disagree. It has the same glaring fault as the current roads - color balance. They need to just use characters like on the home jersey - blue outlined in red. While this jersey doesn't fix that, it adds two huge new problems - it deviates from the Cubs' proprietary font for no reason and uses the team name (and not even the primary logo) instead of the city name. Oh, and let's remember the mismatched piping. They took a bad jersey and made it worse.

As for the what the Cubs should put on their roads, a straight block font would be fine for the wordmark, but I think a rounded font matches better with their numbers and logos. I think cursive wouldn't work well for them because 1) the Sox use it already; and 2) they have never used it before. I have long said it should basically be a revamped version of their late '60s set. Seriously, this is great. Just slap a name on the back, probably come up with a new sleeve patch (because the current ones blow) and this would be one of the best road sets in baseball.

pMLB2-2980976dt.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Where have I seen that before....oh

chicago-white-sox-road-grey-mlb-replica-

Other than both being scripts, those two scripts are almost nothing alike.

If they're all one-offs, then that's cool. If they wore them a few times each, then that would be a problem.

With the exception of that road alt, they are most definitely one-offs. When the Cubs unveiled them they also announced which single game they'd be wearing them.

Archived